***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I want to say it's do-able if you know how to mod the IRST ROM and be able to flash the BIOS with it.

hmscott likes this.
  2. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do not. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  3. daandi

daandi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems I am joining the club... GT83VR Titan SLI-024 factory refurbished for $2999 plus $30 shipping.
    Now let's hope that MSI is a good refurbish-er.
    Wish me luck...

Is there any modding company in the NYC or Boston area that would delid the processor and apply LM for a fee?

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is that a 1070 SLI or 1080 SLI ?

If that's a 1080, you could probably make a pretty penny selling the 2nd slave 1080 card for $1,000 on ebay, and then just TDP modding your first video card to 250W (use the 1080 "Preset" button on the 1080 vbios in the Pascal Bios Editor, set a TDP range of 200W-250W, force flash it with the SPI programmer, 1.8v adapter, Pomona 5250 clip and male to female jumper cables, and have at thee).

If that CPU is a 6920HQ rather than a 6820HK, you're going to be limited to 45W TDP anyway (the only way to bypass this is to use the unlocked bios and set the NEGATIVE IMON OFFSET to -31999, which should give you another 15W TDP to work with. I have no idea why anyone would include a HQ processor with a 1080 GTX, much less an *SLI* system? Those video cards are going to be crying for CPU power.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Who is the person "Ori" from Amazon who is having issues with getting stuck at the MSI logo?

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Laptop CPU's like MSI uses for their consumer / gaming laptops don't have IHS's to "delid" they are already bare die's :)

Congratulations on your new GT83!!

It's got enough power as is, but you can use XTU to "unlock" a couple of extra multiplier's, I think it's limited to 40x, or 4.0ghz, but that's typical anyway for that era CPU.

Don't forget to undervolt a bit at stock and 40x, every little bit of CPU voltage drop (stable) reduces the thermal output, CPU temps, fan noise, etc.

First thing is to get a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive to back up the recovery partition to make a bootable recovery flash drive.

Then install apps / games and get used to the laptop, run some benchmarks within the return period (usually 7 - 30 days) so if there are egregious thermal problems you can quickly return for a refund or another unit, usually this isn't the case.

If you wait to test past the easy return date, you will need to RMA to get repairs, and that can take weeks + shipping costs on your end.

Undervolt first before taking measurements!!

Read up on the MSI GT80 / GT83 / GT73 threads for owners feedback and solutions to common questions.

Have fun :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Wow, that's an excellent deal for this configuration (normally $4600). But if it's refurbished the warranty is usually 90-day though.

hmscott likes this.
  8. daandi

Reputations:
    Supposedly it is 180 days of warranty (but have to ship it to MSI). My credit card gives me another year of warranty through them - because it has a manufacturer provided warranty (yes, that includes manufacturer provided warranties on refurbs). Now I just hope that the heatsinks are working well and that the SSD does not have too much abuse on it already :)

9. daandi

Reputations:
    1) Graphics card mod: I am confused here... why would I do that? Is there a link/article that describes that in more detail? Couldn't I try to force flash BOTH cards as described and use the 780watt power supply?
    2) Limited to 45 TDP vs "another 15W TDP to work with" - doesn't that imply NOT undervolting? (I was advised to undervolt first). And I do not know why their most premium built is with 6920HQ instead of a HK... (which you seemingly also can find online as GT83VR TITAN SLI-069 or so) - the HQ version seems to be $200 more expensive than the HK.

As for overclocking...
    I was trying to read through the many many posts in this threads and lots of links but have not found great success stories regarding overclocking? - but I am not done reading yet - the thread is overwhelmingly long by now :) Some claimed if I do not misunderstand them that a 6820HK they tried to overclock only got them 200Mhz more and that most run into throttling problems

hmscott likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Thread is here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mobile-pascal-tdp-tweaker-update-and-feedback-thread.806161/

And the reason your system doesn't come with an unlocked processor is because of reasons. Different regions, different configurations, why? I don't know. But an SLI system should NEVER Be paired with an HQ processor. Pairing a 1080 GTX with a HQ processor is already cancer enough.

Ok let me explain.
    In MOST normal USA based configurations, the GT73VR (before the specs downgrade) and the GT83VR came with the 6820HK (6th gen) and 7820HK (7th gen) fully unlocked CPU's. The TDP is 45W but can be overridden, and you could overclock those CPU's to keep those GTX 1080's happy (the big point I keep mentioning that some people TOTALLY disregard is the MINIMUM FRAMERATES--it's the min framerates that affect the quality of your play, not the maximum framerates, so you need a CPU overclock to keep that up).

The graphics mod is important because the MXM video cards are heavily limited by the TDP restirctions. Increasing the TDP (requires a HW mod and a SPI programmer) can improve the FPS much more than a simple overclock of the card can. The GTX 1070 however gains more from increasing the TDP than the GTX 1080 because the 1070 TDP is greatly reduced compared to the desktop cards. I don't know anyone who has done the 1080 TDP mod on a MSI system. Only people who have modded MSI cards on CLEVO systems, and clevo 1080's.
    While the MSI 1070 has been tested to be capable of handling 200W directly to the VRMs (It's been run for very short times at 262W), and the MSI GT73 can safely deliver 195W of power directly through the MXM port and the Clevo 870DM3 can deliver 262W of power, no one yet knows how much the MSI 1080 can draw even with the auxiliary power connector that the 1070 does not have. Going from 115W to 185-195W on a 1070 is safe on the GT73VR. Going from 200W to 270W on the GTX 1080 may NOT be safe--the MSI 1080 and Clevo 1080 maybe can handle it. Can the GT73VR or GT83VR mainboard handle it? No one knows. No one has tested this on this system--only on Clevos.

The MSI has some AC power cap shenanigans in the EC firmware. The GTX 1070 (single card) model is limited to 230W--exceed that and the CPU gets overridden power throttled by the EC forcibly. This can be circumvented by changing the power ID (in RWEverything, EC RAM, register E3) from the 1070 ID to the 1080 ID (usually you just increase the value stored in register E3 by 1). This is required for people using a TDP mod on a GTX 1070 on a MSI GT73VR.

The SLI version of the system (Exact same mainboard, exact same EC version, only difference is the 2nd MXM slot in use) has the exact same power ID (10 for 6th gen e.g. 6820HK, 90 for 7th gen e.g. 7820HK), but the maximum power allowed before the CPU gets throttled is doubled (460W instead of 230W). I have been unsuccessful in determining if it's a value in the EC RAM which allows this to be doubled or not; if it's the 2nd MXM slot being physically occupied, then there's no way to 'spoof' the EC into thinking it's occupied if it it's not.

As far as the GTX 1080 model (330W Power supply) and the SLI GTX 1080 model (660W), which use different mainboards, I do NOT know what happens if you exceed the power rating the system is specified for. I do not know what will happen if you exceed 660W on your system. Whether the EC will allow it or whether it will throttle the CPU. It will NOT throttle the video cards. Only the CPU. But as I said, no one has tested this, I don't have access to such hardware, nor can I tell you what will happen.

Since SLI is so badly supported these days anyway (the only people who want it are benchers), and a few people who have games that benefit from it, you can gain a LOT by selling the second video card for a LOT of money, and TDP modding the first to 250W. Why don't you test it yourself first?

Remove the slave videocard and then TDP mod the first one to 250W, and test it. Use a range of 200W-250W and in MSI afterburner (100%-200W, 250W will probably something like 125%), and compare the speed improvements. (remember in the pascal bios editor, to open the 1080 vbios, and click the "Preset" button first!). Then you will see if doing the TDP mod on one videocard and selling the 2nd card is worth it.

To mod the TDP on the videocards, you need the following items:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHH65T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DC74A9Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KYK2DR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZC36GY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, this is your laptop. It's your tool. You are free to do what you want with it. You can test it, tweak it, power mod it, or just leave it stock and enjoy it. But remember something. You only live once. ou get one shot at life. Enjoy it.

bennyg and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.