***The Official MSI GT80S Titan (w/desktop 980 GPU's) Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ted@HIDevolution

Ted@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    We are not offering multiple AC adapters for the intention of using them in tandem. We offer multiple power adapters so the user can have a backup and so he does not have to carry around a 2nd/3rd adapter if the system is used in multiple locations. This is how we describe it on our product page:

Constantly on the go between 2 places? Being mobile means that every ounce counts! Purchase an extra AC adapter for the 2nd location and leave the heavy power "brick" at home!

Zero989, Prema, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    ahh that clarifies it to me then. I thought that would solve the issue. I really wish MSI can fix this somehow as this looks like a killer machine with dual 980 GTX in SLI

hmscott likes this.
  3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    The processor will limit the heck out of the performance.

4. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The
    Like HMScott said, the MB is limited to 300W power. Even MSI willing to unlocked the power consumption to unlimited but there is no way to buy the dual power adapter anymore.

The dual adapter is designed and made by Clevo and Clevo is completely discontinued it. They are not making it anymore.

hmscott and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  5. lichensoul

lichensoul Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't see why they limited it to 300W power. That is what bothers me.

6. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Johnksss said the delta 330w psu can do up to 380watts (the good batch). I don't see why they can't just make better grade PSUs marginally bigger. I fear we won't get to see 130w MXM again, but then again, MD I stuck those monster babies in their trashcan looking computer. No offense intended, it looks like a turbine/trashcan of the future.

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Under best practice guidelines, any manufacturers will not exceed such value since it can post a threat.
    The market for 330W+ adapter isn't big enough if you compare the amount of notebooks that use below 90W AC adapters (including 45W, 60W).

8. sticky

sticky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Reading over this thread it seems many people are complaining there is not enough power available to overclock the graphics cards if I am understanding this correctly. Ok, I see the gripe.

You are saying you will be forced to move on and never look back. What are you moving to? What is this more powerful gaming laptop that you are switching to exactly? I don't think they are losing any sales if they are still the best option.

I think you may be overestimating your own influence by the way.

hmscott likes this.
  9. lichensoul

lichensoul Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is not about influence it is more about the fact that the power draw restriction was not disclosed. Also at that part if it can be fixed. Msi just needs to remove the 300 watt restriction. If they did that it would name most happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

10. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're not understanding this correctly. The artificial power limit is too low to even run the GPUs at stock. Once your battery runs to 30% after several hours when plugged in, which will get even worse as the constant charge/discharge completely shafts its capacity, the crippled throttle limit is too low to run the GPUs more than a little bit past 980M performance.

It's not about taking money away from MSI. I've only cost them 4 sales that I know of, which is peanuts to them. But to those who would've found themselves with a crippled machine after spending $4.6k, that's a huge deal. If they want to throw people buying their top end product under the bus, that's their prerogative, but I'll do my best to see as few people screwed over as possible.

CaerCadarn likes this.