***The Official MSI GT80S Titan (w/desktop 980 GPU's) Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Dec 15, 2015.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The power limits are on all brands and manufacturers, but the battery drain is the main issue and I do wonder why make it this way...

Reminds me of my crusade along with other users vs intel, for their CPUs being also power limited. We lost the war vs intel, but thanks to very talented and smart users, we overcame the power issue. Infact, I believe it can be solved in a similar matter.

The system monitors the power draw right? I assume it does it based on a number and that's how it decides to draw from the battery. If we trick the system to incorrectly read the number, it should draw more from the AC adapter right?

I suppose such a reading might be on the EC?

2. sticky

sticky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting ready to replace my M18X and this MSI GT80S titan with SLI seems to be the best choice. Is there anything else I should consider or is this simply the best gaming laptop money can buy?

hmscott likes this.
  3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Recommended platform to buy is single GPU version since the power supply is limited to 330W.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hey Kevin, what the heck are you talking about???

The GT80 and GT80S 980m/970m/965m SLI models work just fine with 1 330w power supply, even OC'd. Check my signature for benchmarks. I get 100fps+ in SLI games.

The new GT80S 980 SLI model could benefit from more than one 330w power supply to reach full OC, but even that model squeezes out more performance than the GT80(S) SLI 980m stock vs stock settings on one 330w power adapter.

The laptops that need more than 1 330w power supply for SLI 980m's are the Clevo laptops, like the P870DM.

The MSI GT80(S) use a 45w CPU, while the P870DM uses a 91w CPU, leaving much less headroom for the 980m's, that's why it needs 2 x 330w power supplies to reach full potential.

Please don't start posting GT80(S) FUD here, OK? :confused::cool:

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. sticky

sticky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you need 2 x 330 power supplies for the laptop to get full performance? It comes with two of these?

hmscott likes this.
  6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    There's a special EC firmware for MS-1814, 1814EMS1.F01_1A00 that increased the power draw for the system itself. Seems like you don't have the Skylake version to try this EC.
    324W

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    @Kevin@GenTechPC see what I mean, what was that, 35 seconds after you posted? :confused::p:D:eek:o_O:rolleyes:

You posted a recommendation that's only valid for a Clevo laptop, in a non-Clevo thread, and confused @sticky

The GT80S 980 SLI model does fine with 1 330w power supply + battery boost. It won't support 2 x 330w power supplies, so no need to get 2.

If you want a SLI 980 laptop that supports 2 x 330w power supplies for extreme overclocking, ask Clevo. :cool:

Oh, wait, Clevo doesn't make an SLI 980 model... :D:eek:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    That EC isn't a released firmware, you can't give it out to anyone, so why are you talking about it like it's an available "fix", it isn't, unfortunately.

It also doesn't offer any perceptible boost in performance. Which is why MSI isn't releasing it, or continuing development on EC updates for the GT80S 980 SLI model. The battery boost feature is remaining to help boost performance.

Unless something has changed and there is a new publicly available EC to download? Link?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Scott, yes you are right, but sticky was talking about GT80S Titan which comes with 980 SLI which has capped performance and this is why MSI provided the revised EC per customer's request recently. If this system employs the same design as Clevo's dual power supply system then it will gain more performance than the single power supply version. Ideally, it's desired not to use the battery for additional power because of frequent wear and tear, plus the limited amount of time of high performance gameplay once the battery hits 30% of battery capacity.

Hopefully, this will improve in the near future on next generation.
    Feel free to correct me, thanks.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    That above info is true, but not what I responded to originally:

There is no GT80S single GPU version to recommend.

That was the error I was pointing out.