***The Official MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 13, 2015.

1. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My GT80 SLI still runs nicely. The prices on it have come down significantly versus a year or two ago.

2. jamie walker

jamie walker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it still worth buying one of these
    Msi gt80 Titan
    2 in sli GTX 980M 8GB
    I7 4980HQ

Any input would be nice my biggest concern is how many more years do these video cards have or CPU are going to last for gaming

3. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the great keyboard, big screen, fast processor, yes.
    For AAA gaming not really.
    Most games will support only one 980m and that wont do well.

However, due to the screen being relatively slow response, even overclocked to 100hz, it's better suited for lower demanding overhead view games anyway.... Which are usually less demanding.

I had the GT80 and the GT83VR and they both had that same screen. Had to sell.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. jamie walker

jamie walker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I play a little bit of everything.. is it worth picking up just because I want to laptop with a bigger screen and the keyboard in the front? I currently have a gaming laptop i7 and the 970m .. I know CPUs have not really changed a whole lot . I can't afford the higher-end model but I can pick up a msi gt80 pretty cheap and then sill my current laptop.

5. zziplex

zziplex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    980m in sli is something in between 1060 and 1070... so still valid and above the average of the gaming pc.
    I see some somebody has concern on 18"" full hd monitor. My current pc has 4k on that size but on a small monitor is also that not a big choice.

6. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    It is one of the best laptops that MSI designed so if you get good deal it is worth it. The GPUS are upgradeable based on MXM3 modular design. In the future you can even trade in for Eurocom GPU and CPU upgradeable SKY series laptop and get 25% discount.

7. babychaos

babychaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Being the owner of a 3 year old MSI GT80 Titan, I would have to say that it is not worth it. On my my next purchase I'm planning to try Asus Rog or Acer Predator. I will avoid any MSI product.

EDIT: I've read that this unit is upgradeable? That seems false, I tried contacting MSI and asking my service center for that and they can't even provide me an upgrade. Maybe 970m to 980m you can upgrade and that's it

8. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check our line of Sky C series - now they are available with i9 9900K unlocked LGA1151 CPU and dual SLI MXM3 1080 upgradeable next year to 2080

9. xor01

xor01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought my MSI GT80 in new condition and has been using it close to 24/7 for almost 3 years now. This is the condition after almost 3 years:

1. battery health still 75% based on HWINFO
    2. one of the SSD turned out causing very slow Windows booting, so now I use the 2x SSD in non-RAID mode.
    3. gaming in high performance mode, cpu temp reach above 90 celcius, so I have to use the "jet engine" fan setting to lower the temp. i haven't done any re-paste though, so I guess it's time to do it.

So from reliability point of view, this laptop built quality is really good.
    For gaming performance, it still can run new games Full HD @60fps... i think it's powerful enough for the next 2 years.
    Keep in mind though that most new games doesn't support multi-gpu (i think i watched it on youtube about nvidia abandoning SLI).

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Seems like they might be returning to it, but in a different form.