***The Official MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 13, 2015.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    One version of ccleaner, out for a couple of hours over 10 years... :)

Click on the blue text in the previous post for the downloads.

Install ccleaner first, then ccenhancer, it loads 1000+ app profiles, so when you start ccleaner check the Applications tab to load with all the extra profiles, before starting to clean/analyze.

By default you should be safe from cleaning anything you'd miss, so after the first cleaning, run through all the applications listed in the Applications tab to click on them to enable each one.

Don't enable something you don't want deleted - most likely it'll just be passwords or setup details you'd have to re-enter, which is just a matter of resetting them up - but if you've forgotten a password over time, now you gotta re-set it :)

The first time it takes a little time to set it up completely, going through both tabs listed things getting cleaned, heed the warnings from clicking some - I don't enable them, but there might be some you'd enable - and every time you install new apps, don't forget to run down the tab lists again as ccleaner will notice new app installs and look for new things to clean, but you have to click them to enable them.

How much space did you save? :)

Did you do a boot time disk check before, or after, doing this...? :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    stank0 likes this.
  2. stank0

stank0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't think about one thing. The system is installed on RAID0. I don't think I can just put it in a new computer, turn the RAID on and voila. That RAID will be lost. Correct?

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    I have done it, but I don't think you can count on it. I'd do a full backup, and then try it.

If it picks up on the RAID relationship in the BIOS, go into BIOS first, then it might work, don't change the BIOS settings to build a new RAID0 or it will redo the relationship and wipe the data.

It's worked between different units of the same model, but not sure across models / versions. It's worth a try :)

stank0 likes this.
  4. stank0

stank0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. I'll definitely try it. I hope this new chipset has a little better support for NVMe. It was quite a PITA on the old one. (I mean setting up RAID on boot drive)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  5. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use Macrium reflect to clone the primary ssd. so if there is an issue, I can always boot off the clone ssd

stank0 and hmscott like this.
  6. grinna

grinna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a GT80 2QE of the signature, it is possible to install a 1070 or 1080, someone already managed to make this exchange?

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @grinna

A 1080 is completely absolutely impossible. Even if you molded your own customized heatsink and VRM sink and the mainboard actually managed to POST with the 1080, I doubt that system would allow 200W directly through the MXM port and I don't think there is an auxiliary power connector either. Even if the magic smoke didn't come out, you got the system to POST and got a modded driver on, the EC would horribly throttle you as there is no allowance for 330W of AC power on that system (the MSI 1080 is a 200W card). Without a pre-programmed 330W power ID in the EC RAM (Embedded controller RAM space that is visible to windows), there would be no way to bypass it like you can for a TDP modded GTX 1070 on a GT73VR or GT75VR.

A 1070 "might" work, but you would have problems with the strange MXM card build of the 1070 and those tab protrusions, even if the VRM and RAM layout is compatible with a 980M's existing heatsink. A A MSI 1060 absolutely would work, as this seems to be the only fully standardized card.

grinna likes this.
  8. grinna

grinna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Exiting SLI from 980M to a 1060 only, would it be worth the investment or will I lose a lot in performance? is there 1060 SLI in notebooks?

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    No 1060 SLI, Nvidia made sure that wasn't an option on the desktop or laptop.

Going from the 980M SLI to the 1080, here are Fire Strike scores for the GT73 7820HK + 1080 and GT80 SLI-263 5950HQ + 980m SLI:

GT73 7820HK + 1080
    Total Score: 18,706
    Graphics Score: 24,574
    Physics Score: 13,908
    Combined Score: 8,229
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13826005

GT80 SLI-263 5950HQ + 980m SLI
    Total Score: 15,911
    Graphics Score: 21,345
    Physics Score: 13,681
    Combined Score: 5,972
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/5708173

Of course, when SLI isn't enabled for an app or game, the GPU scores will drop by almost 1/2 (few things scale in SLI 100%).

So a 1080 is only a little faster (about 15%) than the 980m SLI for situations where SLI is supported and scales well.

I'd go for at least a 1070 or a 1080 in a laptop to get the same experience, leaning toward the 1080 from my experience.

Or, build a nice AMD Ryzen 2.0 desktop, and wait for AMD / Nvidia to release their new mobile GPU's. :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    stank0 likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Do you live in the US or UK? MSI has an upgrade program to let you trade-in your 980m SLI for a selection of GT model laptops with Pascal GPU's. And, you can then upgrade again to whatever Nvidia puts out next.

That's the best deal, I wouldn't waste time trying to hack a nice GT80 to get Pascal MXM card upgrades to work.

If you can't get the MSI Trade-in deal in your country, then sell it and get something new, with new CPU's and new GPU's.

If you can't wait for Nvidia to put out another round of GPU's for mobile, then at least you can get the new Coffee-Lake 6c/12t CPU's in your new Pascal GPU laptop. :)