***The Official MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 13, 2015.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Fast Startup requires Hibernation enabled, so rather than select Fast Start for disable, turn off Hibernation instead. That way you get real startup / shutdown, and get rid of that 1x RAM sized hiberfil.sys file in C:\.

In a cmd shell Start As Administrator:

powercfg /h off

To turn it back on (not recommended):

powercfg /h on

2. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will record boot time before and after.

hmscott likes this.
  3. etcetera

Reputations:
    I did find one area where MSI could have done a better component - the video camera glass in GT80 SLI is just cheap plastic without any scratch resistance and very easy to scratch. Be careful when wiping it. Every wipe results in micro-scratches, even when using a microfiber cloth. The correct method of cleaning it is to first wipe it with a moist micro fiber cloth to remove any dust particles and then dry it with a dry microfiber cloth.

They could have installed a real glass or at least a plastic with some kind of "Gorilla glass" coating like in smart phones. Admittedly, you would have to wipe it a thousand times to notice any degradation in video picture quality, but still.

hmscott likes this.
  4. etcetera

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  5. etcetera

Reputations:
    What wi-fi card (adapter) does GT80 SLI use?

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Killer LAN & Killer Wireless LAN.

7. Steven Anderson

Steven Anderson Newbie

Reputations:
  8. stank0

stank0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you guys use to migrate all the programs and games from one computer to another? Is there a way? I used to always start from scratch and reinstall everything but with ever so increasing storage capacity it's becoming ever so increasing PITA due to the sheer amount of programs and games installed.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Macrium Reflect (Free) works well to backup and migrate to another new storage device. You can resize the partitions on the restore to shrink or increase to fit the destination.

Macrium Reflect (Free)
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

To restore a boot drive you create a bootable (4GB) flash drive to boot on, keep the Macrium Backup image on a USB drive and restore from there. If you want you can get a large enough flash drive to hold the restore image as well.

I use the vendor restore backup tool to make a recovery image bootable flash drive, to be able to restore back to the original out of the box configuration too.

For all other restores I keep a Macrium Reflect image backup to restore to the lastest configuration. So I'll restore to the OEM image, do the Windows Updates and vendor driver, app, etc upgrades, install apps and games, and tweak the configuration of everything, and backup with Macrium Reflect so I can avoid all that busy work next time.

Have fun :)

Vasudev and stank0 like this.
  10. stank0

stank0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Useful info as usual. Thanks a lot Scott. I'll give the Macrium a try.
    Can I choose which programs to back up (or restore), or is it just "all or nothing" solution?

hmscott likes this.