***The Official MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 13, 2015.

1. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  2. etcetera

Reputations:
    I don't do any gaming.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's only if your applications will actually use / demand that level of throughput, most applications won't.

Check out those video's starting at the "results" timecode, I think you'll see what I mean.

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    So what applications are you going to run? As a test / benchmark, games run like many applications, with load time, write / read periods, interspersed with hardly any storage IO during use.

You'd want to profile disk throughput peaks, and demand throughput duration to see if you'd benefit from higher performance.

For most applications IO throughput is very short and far between, hardly worth it even if you could halve the time duration. From .5 sec to .25 sec isn't going to be noticeable to the end user, even if it is 2x faster.

5. etcetera

Reputations:
    I am sure I upgrade way below the average on this forum. My workstation was a beast when I got it and still is, at 11 years old. It was top of the line, 6 grand new. I got it when it was 1.5 years old for $1500. In 2008. I compared it to many new machines and did not see an noticeable difference. Except of course the SSD piece, but these commercial-grade data-center type 15.5K hard drives are something. Especially when RAID'ed. It was the best HDD you could get.

Judging by the past performance, I will probably keep the Titan until 2024. Though it's possible I will relegate it to a backup role.
    My philosophy has been - get something expensive, then keep it forever. And buying something a generation behind, which is what GT80 is today, even the SLI version, is also perfectly OK.

You know how it is -- life is what happens when you have other plans.

hmscott likes this.
  6. etcetera

Reputations:

well that's a legitimate point. Still, when I do expect performance, I can get it. I brought down my boot time by 7 seconds and it was already near-instantaneous. I have 24GB of RAM so that's not a bottle neck either. I will wait until the 1TB Samsung SM961 comes down to below $300 and then buy it. Right now it is still floating above that, it seems.

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    IDK how it is on the GT80, but others mention slow boot times on NVME drives vs SATA drives - due to POST initialization delay. Maybe someone with a GT80S / GT83 can let you know what the optimal UEFI settings are for faster NVME startup.

Yeah, that's how I do it too, wait for sale price that is too good to pass up. Best to plan and wait for the best price, especially when I was buying 4x at a time.

Please post your results when you make a move. :)

8. etcetera

Reputations:
    Well, "slow" means not any faster than SATA. Or, if faster, then only by a few seconds. I do see a speed difference between SATA I had via SanDisk X400 and the Samsung PM951 I currently have (which is a good value) but it's not 5x or 3x but more like 10 or 15% perception-wise.
    Of course I haven't thrown gigabytes or terabytes around, maybe if I did, I would see a real difference.

CrystalDiskMark doesn't mean anything.

I need to trade the 2280 SATA3 SanDisk for a 2.5" SSD SATA to stick it into another, all HDD laptop at the moment. Now that would be a quantitative improvement.

hmscott likes this.
  9. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As asked,benchmarks from my RAID0.

Boot time from cold is 15 seconds(windows reports a 5.6 seconds BIOS time), to Windows 10 Pro, running stock BIOS, only updated ME Firmware.

The sequential read/write speeds are not bad, but 4k/random is as good/bad as a single SATA SSD.

Usually NVMe takes more time due to the oROM/drivers take a bit to be loaded before the UEFI can really see the drivers and boot from them.

Attached Files:

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Do you have Fast Startup enabled along with Hibernation enabled?

If you have time, try disabling Hibernation for full shutdown and startup. See what boot time is then.

In a cmd shell Start As Administrator:

powercfg /h off

Then reboot once and shutdown, then time the boot.

If you already did that, cool. :)

11. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok, disabled hibernation,shutdown with Shift+Shutdown, from power button press to desktop, 20.61 seconds, forgot about the Fast Startup, sorry :(

7 seconds just for the MSI logo/BIOS to pass before Windows circle appears.

hmscott likes this.
  12. etcetera

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.