***The Official MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There's more than one FTP site.
    I found it only because I was trying to desperately look for the 'Unlocked EC' firmware for GT73VR (which i know exists because some people have had laptops sent back from MSI service centers, with the product name "Please Change Product Name." <---unlocked EC was installed.

If you want the name:

assemble---17A1 en.wmv
    Disassemble---17A1 en.wmv

2. ExhenHero

ExhenHero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In addition to light off and usb problem, when I try to Fn +PGup, PGdown, (ligth,dim) indicator does not appear on the screen.

3. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just wanted to post that the mechanical Cherry MX brown keyboard that the GT80 Skylake has rules.

It's really good. Helps me with typing since it's full size.

What is the brand of that 1TB HDD? I know it's Toshiba. But what is the model?

hmscott likes this.
  4. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I need to replace my 980m in my GT80. How do I know which GPU I need to buy? Has to be a 980m MSI card correct? Also can I get a 4gb instead of an 8gb just to save money?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  5. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was under the impression that you could upgrade to the newer latest-greatest 1080-series video card.

I removed the 1TB HDD and it went perfectly into my Dell L702x, which already has one HDD.

In its place, I installed a Samsung 1TB 2.5" SSD.

6. hedehede81

hedehede81 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why do you need to replace the card? It is not a standard one and very hard to find for consumers. If it is not working, you have to send to MSI. And 980m is the best one that fits, 10xx series are not compatible.

7. Rycorlin

Reputations:
    Basically its shorting out. With the GPU installed the power brick loses power (the green light) when plugged into the laptop and nothing works. Once I take out the card.. laptop/power brick is fine. I thought I had narrowed it down to a bad MOSFET on the chip by removing each one until the short disappeared (and trial and error testing)... however after replacing that individual chip.. I was not getting anymore shorts, but the laptop itself was not recognizing the card so at that point I was at a loss.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hedehede81

hedehede81 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A bad MOSFET might take out a few other components with it as well. Have you checked other components in the vicinity? Check diodes, voltage regulators and resistors. Like I said the chances of finding a GPU is extremely slim(you have to be checking Ebay), maybe you can try a motherboard repair service?

hmscott likes this.
  9. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pretty sure the 980M in the GT80 is standard MXM.

10. Rycorlin

Reputations:
    I luckily did find a GPU out of the same model laptop (GPU model numbers all matched up) however it did not work. I did notice that the chip that supplies power to various sections on the motherboard.. the part that goes to the GPU connector, when plugging power into laptop, jumps to ~15 volts then drops down to near 0. So I feel like, even though the chip on the GPU got fixed, that maybe something is wrong with that chip on that motherboard? I'm a bit of a novice in general at this so hopefully I explained it well. I had thought at first it dropped power because it didn't see a functioning GPU but now that I had replaced it with a good one and it still doesnt work.. I dont think thats the case.

So when you said check in the vicinity.. did you mean GPU itself.. or even the motherboard? Cause I do feel like what I found may be an issue.

hmscott likes this.