***The Official MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 13, 2015.

1. _JMiLLY_

_JMiLLY_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Has anyone had their screen go black after opening an app or program and then flash back on in full brightness with the message about nvidia driver kernel xxx.xx is not responding and has been repaired? Mine did this repeatedly, and continued after I tried 4 different driver versions.

2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    yeah it has happened to everyone in the world haha. I have experienced it recently with driver 362 and it was on battery.

Are you reinstalling drivers with DDU? I am currently running the latest 364.51 drivers without issues (when connected to AC, battery is another story).

Are you running the latest BIOS and EC firmware?

_JMiLLY_ likes this.
  3. _JMiLLY_

Reputations:
    I believe so. I cannot check either. My computer is currently going to get repaired because my screen wouldn't turn on after this kept happening.. I thought it was a major issue. I didn't know all of these issues were on Nvidias side of things

source144 likes this.
  4. ryzeki

Reputations:
    If your computer monitor wouldn't turn on anymore you may have experienced indeed a hardware failure causing it. Which is different still. Hopefully you will get it repaired soon and ready too go.

As for issues, it all depends on how you use your machines. Since the current issues are more related to sleep/hibernation and battery mode, you will not experience much if you only use it connected to AC and don't use sleep/hibernation.

I mean, personally, I haven't experienced almost any issues anymore since I disabled hibernation and updated to the latest drivers, using it only on AC. This doesn't mean issues don't exist. You can also go to nvidia forums when drivers release to see the hundreds of complaints that appear, as everyone gets very different issues.

Some laptops for example, that have 120hz monitor, won't boot in 120hz and instead get black screen with the latest drivers. Others break gsync. Others get worse performance. these are just examples of issues you see almost on every driver release. The trick is to only update if you need it to. Like for a specific game. Otherwise use the most stable driver you find for your machine.

_JMiLLY_ and hmscott like this.
  5. _JMiLLY_

Reputations:
    Thanks man. My college dorm life is so boring without it.. And thanks for the info provided. This is my first personal computer. I know about hardware and things of that nature, but I'm still learning about all the inner works though like issues with certain things and OS tricks.

What do you think caused my black screen? A bad card?

6. rains

rains Newbie

Reputations:
    I just miss a statement from MSI.

Keep working on it? Can we soon expect a solution? And so on...

7. ryzeki

Reputations:
    It could be. What were the exact symtoms? Did you boot and led power came up but nothing showed on screen at all?

8. _JMiLLY_

Reputations:

Yeah, 3 times in a row I went to turn it on and I could see the backlight turn on but nothing came up on the screen.

9. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It needs some repairs and the cooling system got messed up a bit but it's surprisingly resilient

10. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hold down the power button after just the led's come up. Then spam the delete button to get into the bios, exit the bios, and you should be good to go