***The Official MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Katiecat

Katiecat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So that's how your laptop broke? :p

2. _JMiLLY_

_JMiLLY_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well guys, recently had an issue with a graphics card in my Titan, but it is on its way to MSI for repairs, hopefully they don't take out any of my Xotic PC parts or it will be longer for it to return. While I am waiting for it, I have been looking for a headset to get, any opinions? I am willing to spend up to $200, and have been looking at audio technica AD900x, but I am just not sure. I have a pair of Astro A50s for my Xbox and love them, however, I am not a fan of constantly unplugging and plugging all the cords into each device. Let me know what you guys think.. Thanks!

mason2smart likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What do you mean? Didn't you route the GT80 through XoticPC for warranty work? XoticPC are supposed to be the first point of contact, as far as I know that is how it works when you buy through them. Then they work with the laptop and RMA through MSI if needed for you.

If you bought through retail, or through a dealer that is a box seller - don't do upgrades, you work directly with MSI yourself.

In that case, you are supposed to remove all non-stock parts from the laptop before sending it. That way they don't disappear during the repairs. MSI prefers to support the stock configuration only for RMA.

I also recommend removing your data disks - even boot SSD's - as they often will get reloaded with the Recovery image - the original out of the box install as part of the RMA work.

MSI has recently been installing a Windows 10 recovery image - overwriting Windows 8.1 original shipping OS as part of the RMA. Apparently they only want to work with one set of tools, and since they need to support new hardware that ships with Windows 10 only, they are using Windows 10 for RMA work.

XoticPC should have warned you about all this before you sent in the laptop directly to MSI, if that's what happened.

mason2smart likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It looks like the next generation Intel CPU's, the 7th generation, Kaby Lake, won't hit the streets - at least for us in the performance desktop and laptop arena, until Week 50 and 51 of 2016 and week 9 and 10 of 2017.

The Kaby Lake release is shifted a few months from the Skylake release, so it will come over a year after Skylake. Which means we may not see new high performance Kaby Lake laptops until well into 2017.

It looks like the first Pascal GPU's will be paired with Skylake H mobile CPU's and Skylake Desktop CPU's.

The puny Dual Core Kaby Lake U/Y Low Power Mobility CPU's will release 2016 Week 34-46, just in time for back to school. With more to follow 2017 Week 10.

Check out the table/chart in this article released 15 hours ago:

Intel 14nm Kaby Lake Processors Shipping in Q3 2016 – 10nm Cannonlake Chips Will Be Available in Q3 2017
    http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-q3-2016-cannonlake-2017/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Daygecko likes this.
  5. rains

rains Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!

Please: What is currently the most stable Windows 10 nvidia Geforce 980m driver version for my MSI GT80 2QE Titan SLI?

Thx + ciao,
    Rains

source144 likes this.
  6. Ironjer

Ironjer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Nobody. Any driver upper 353.62 WHQL just will crash freeze etc.

7. rains

rains Newbie

Reputations:
    Madness! Good that the notebook was not expensive ;)

Can we expect a solution in the near future?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  8. _JMiLLY_

_JMiLLY_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I did contact Xotic PC as my first contact. They are the reason I got the RMA request from the manufacturer.

Xotic PC told me over the phone that if there was a problem with a third party part, that MSI would then forward the repair to them since they are the ones who installed it.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Ironjer

Ironjer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope. we are many in the same boat

rains likes this.
  10. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just remember that the numerous issues with nvidia are all different, and that some fixes exist for a few of the symptoms. For example, the latest issue is driver crashing or freezing etc on battery mode. This is different than the usual hard crash/freezing experienced before during normal use, regardless of AC power or not.

If you are experiencing issues where your notebook crashes while connected to AC, after booting up and doing anything, then you need to disable hibernation/hybrid shutdown from your system. Sleep will cause the issue as well, so it is recommended to avoid using sleep if possible.

The latest issue is recent, the crashes on battery mode. I really hope nvidia gets its act together to fix this.

Otherwise, as it was stated, 353.62 are the best/most stable driver.

also the notebook cost has nothing to do with the issue. You could have bought a cheaper 700dlrs machine with an nvidia gpu and you would still face nvidia issues hahaha :)