***The Official MSI GT80 Titan Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 13, 2015.

1. -=$tR|k3r=-

-=$tR|k3r=- Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    keyboard.jpg

Again, the keyboard is made for MSI by SteelSeries, and it appears there is a miscommunication with the MSI Rep. Why not PM Geno with MSI USA? I am sure he will provide you with a good answer. Seriously though, this mechanical DT style keyboard is a notebook first, and it's a bit ridiculous to expect MSI to have Steelseries produce custom-order keyboards. Also, I think the photo above explains MSI and Steelseries choice in the Cherry Brown switches. Are these switches really a deal-breaker for you? Maybe contact Steelseries regarding your specific requirements, and see where that takes you.

:)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. geniusfb

geniusfb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anybody have any comment on the screen? I heard is a Samsung PLS screen? What's that difference between this and the IPS screen? Honestly, I have no idea with this stuff...

3. -=$tR|k3r=-

-=$tR|k3r=- Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have heard the same, but not certain yet, as I am still awaiting the notebook's arrival. I've also heard the brightness, contrast, and viewing angles are outstanding. This is how MSI is currently marketing the panel:

Titan11.JPG

Stay-tuned to the thread's post #1 & 2, because I'll be posting more information soon.

:)

4. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Just keying in that Cherry switches can be user moddified in most cases. It is tedious work but you just pull the stem out and replace with the spring & stem of your choice.

So if your really into mech keyboards (I am) it may be worth looking into for you.

Probably best to buy a "doner" keyboard that way you can put the parts you pull into the other keyboard and still have a working keyboard that you can then resell or keep around.

5. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I think its the same display I have on my AW18. Best display I have ever used and its much better than TN displays. Its very bright, the colours are amazing and you get pitch black and real white and not greyish white like you get on GT72 and GT70 displays.

PLS is IPS. PLS is a term Samsung use for their IPS displays, and it have some further improvement from IPS
    IPS panel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It may be depending on the noise level. All I got so far was some online videos with short demonstrations of how loud it is.
    I really want to try the keyboard with Brown, Red and Black switches because I've been told those are the less noisy of them.
    To me it doesn't matter who is the keyboard maker.
    Since MSI have decided to use keyboards with Cherry MX switches nothing special to question them if they are going to release keyboards with different switches.
    If that's a hard task for a laptop manufacturer then that's a deal breaker to me. Considering my previous experience with the subject addressing Steelseries is certainly something I won't do.

7. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cormogram, please don't take offense but I really feel you would be happier by just building a rig in all honesty. There are a lot of advantages when doing this, you should explore that route if you haven't already.

8. Cormogram

Reputations:
    That's a good idea.
    I've asked before but I don't remember if it was on this thread, so here it goes again.
    Is it possible to change the key caps and then change the keyboard layout settings on Windows and transform an AZERTY or QWERTZ keyboard into a QWERTY one?

9. Cormogram

Reputations:
    That's an option I'm considering but so far it's not cheaper than a GT80.
    Also, there's a lot of uncertainty about the parts I'll get.
    Could you recommend a supplier of barebones?
    The only Clevo model I've found that can handle a 980M dual-SLI is the P570WM, but what an ugly old monster it is! lol

10. Ciggles

Ciggles Notebook Consultant

Reputations: