--->The Official MSI GT780/GT783 Owner's Lounge<---

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jun 9, 2011.

1. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This tool
    [​IMG]

2. Feanaro

Feanaro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the tool I posted might be better for trimming the red and grey areas. For the yellow one, I might have to use this one you posted.

Where are these needed?

And, being a low-watt card and having an external table cooler below the notebook, are these still needed?

3. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, for the red parts you definitely need the tool you posted. Just trim 1-2 mm, not more.
    0.5mm I bought from ebay, china. They are not good at all but if you don't overclock it much those may work.
    Copper shim (I took one from broken AC I guess, just thin copper plate) will be on the copper part of heatsink to connect to GPU die. It is there if you look closer
    [​IMG]

4. lvl1989

lvl1989 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i´ve just installed the amd m6000 on my ms-1761, it worked right out of the box, as said before. I followed James D instructions accordingly and everything went smooth!

one question, though, whats the average temperature for this gpu? im getting a constant 50 celsius on it. is that ok?

cpu goes around 48 C.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Those are fantastic temps...ENJOY!

ac007 and lvl1989 like this.
  6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Wow, well done. :)

lvl1989 likes this.
  7. lvl1989

Reputations:
    hello! so, i've successfully installed the amd6000 on my gt780 (ms 1761)
    below there are some pictures of the heatsink and the gpu itself, windows says it's a Dell gpu.

also, I bought the gpu from [this seller] on ebay, took a while to get to Brazil (nearly 3 months), but it came working perfectly and the seller was kind enough to send me one without the x-bracket upon request.

EDIT: I just tried gaming, ran a game called Kenshi, it's incredibly heavy, developers still need to better tune it, point being it is very very heavy. I ran it for 30 min, temperature peaked at 82, but i had an average of 78 during it. a bit too high for my tastes, but i figure it's the cheap pads fault and maybe the thermal paste too.

EDIT # 2: boy this is becoming a tech soap opera! turns out the Kenshi game wasn't as heavy as I thoght, all the sluggishness and slowness were there simply because the game probably needs some extra tuning... I ran The Sims 4, just to be safe, a 2014 game so probably ok to start the test out.... Well, I had a 50 celsius on the gpu, as soons as I booted the game, it kept going up until the computer turned itself off... Last temp I saw as 89 celsius. I checked the Event Log, I see the once-familiar-with-my-dead-570m kernel power 41 error. I made sure to log the temps using Open Hardware Monitor, but the power failure didn't save the file properly.

i used thermal paste mx-2, as it was the one avaiable to me, and thermal pads 0.5 and 1 mm straight from china... i'm aware those aren't the best, but they worked ok, i'll try to get some better ones during black friday. this probably makes a huge difference, because i used to get around 42 celsius on the nvidia 570m.

huge thanks to James D again, very helpful and thoughtful guy, I wish i could send you a postcard of myself and my renewed gt780 doing a thumbs up! :)
    WhatsApp Image 2017-11-22 at 09.10.28.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-11-21 at 20.46.08.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-11-21 at 20.46.31.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  8. lvl1989

Reputations:
    Does everyone who's watching the thread get a notification alert for posts edited? I edited mine again, I need some help! If anyone has a tip or suggestion, please do share! I'm eager to get this laptop back to doing some light gaming without fearing it might collapse!

Thanks everyone!

9. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    my temps got 71-73 max under load so you definitely didn't make good contact with heatsink. Did you forget about additional copper shim 0.5 mm thick between the die and copper plate of the heatsink?
    Also make sure heatsink is screwed in for good, meaning all 4 screws got into screwing holes.

This card is 48W max, it can't go hot without some error. I actually overclocked it 20%+

Watch closer to see it has 2 layers of thermal paste: one on the sides can be seen behind copper shim and second is ON copper shim.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  10. lvl1989

Reputations:
    Alright, screws 1 and 4 didn't go in at all, i cant figure out why. It was lined with the gpu but it didnt screw. Is there a tip for this?