--->The Official MSI GT780/GT783 Owner's Lounge<---

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jun 9, 2011.

1. -=$tR|k3r=-

-=$tR|k3r=- Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ----------------------------------------------

***Note: Much of this thread is consumed with repeat questions. Prior to posting inquiry, PLEASE take the time to read the following, SEARCH THE THREAD HERE, or Google! Thank you!

----------------------------------------------

The Real Gaming Notebook

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do gamers desire most? MSI knows best! In GT780/GT783, MSI not only conducted research with the world-class team Fnatic,
    but also collaborated with SteelSeries, a leading manufacturer of professional gaming peripherals, to develop a “gamer’s keyboard”
    never before seen in gaming notebooks. GT780/GT783 provides you the best gaming experience.

*** The MSI GT780DXR with nVidia GeForce GTX-570M GPU! ***

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

*** Prices shown are reseller list prices ***

GT780DX-406US - $1,399.00 ($50 Mail-in Rebate)

Product Number: 9S7-176112-406

17.3" 1920X1080 Full HD LED Anti-Glare
    2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2670QM Quad Core
    nVidia GeForce GTX 570M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
    12GB DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
    750GB 7200rpm SATA II 16MB
    8X DVDRW Super Multi combo drive
    Built-in 802.11 Wireless N, USB 3.0
    Built-in Bluetooth
    Software-changeable LED color Backlit Keyboard
    720P HD webcam
    Dynaudio Premium Sound System
    8.6 lbs (9 cell) 16.85 (L) x 11.34” (W) x 2.17 (H)

*** The MSI GT783 with nVidia GeForce GTX-580M GPU! ***

[​IMG][​IMG]

GT783-658US - $1,889.00 ($200 Mail-in Rebate)

Product Number: 9S7-176112-658

17.3" 1920X1080 Full HD LED Antie-Glare
    2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2670QM Quad Core
    nVidia GeForce GTX-580M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
    12GB DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
    1.5TB 7200rpm (750GB x2) SATA II
    6X Blu-Ray Writer/8X DVDRW combo drive
    Built-in 802.11 Wireless N, USB 3.0
    Built-in Bluetooth
    Software-changeable LED color Backlit Keyboard
    720P HD webcam
    Dynaudio Premium Sound System
    8.6 lbs (9 cell) 16.85 (L) x 11.34” (W) x 2.17 (H)

[​IMG][​IMG]

MSI News & Helpful Links

GT780 (Global site)

GT783 (Global site)

MSI Gaming

MSI G-Zone (wallpaper, screensaver, videos, and more)

MSI Notebook Forum

MSI Customer Service | Global

MSI Notebook Warranty Information

March 30, 2011: MSI Resumes Shipments of Sandy Bridge Gaming Notebooks and Extends Warranty

September 7, 2011: MSI Fortifies Arsenal of G Series Gaming Laptops Featuring NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M

December 21, 2011: The ultimate weapon in Battle MSI latest GT780DX gaming laptop

January 3, 2012: MSI GT780DXR RECEIVES CES 2012 INNOVATIONS AWARD HONORS

January 4, 2012: MSI Announces the New GT783 Gaming Notebook Featuring the Highly Anticipated NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M Graphics Card

January 4, 2012: Locked and Loaded, Sir! MSI GT783 Gaming NB

January 19, 2012: How to Optimize Your MSI GT783, GT685 Game Settings GTX580M offers smooth experience, max resolution on Battlefield 3

MSI Notebook Product Registration | Global

Don't overlook MSI's warranty requirements folks! Registering the notebook is simple enough, but requires an extra step beyond 'online' registration. After doing this online, you will receive an email that states:

I point this out because according to MSI's website, they must receive this within 30-days from the 'date of purchase'..... so don't delay! Also, after completing this process, I recommend later logging back onto the registration site, to follow-up on your warranty 'status'.

MSI AfterBurner

[​IMG]

'Where To Buy' MSI GT780/GT783 Notebooks

Friendly, reputable, and highly respected resellers, who freely volunteer their support to forum members:

1.) GenTech PC | Website | MSI 17" notebook site page | Tel#: 1-800-990-7945 | email: service@gentechpc.com | Contact: Ken Lee

2.) PowerNotebooks | Website | MSI notebook site page | Tel#: 1-877-711-1777 | email: Sales@PowerNotebooks.com | Contact: Donald Stratton

3.) Xotic PC | Website | MSI notebook site page | Tel#: 1-877-289-9684 | email: sales@xoticpc.com | Contact: Justin Nolte

4.) RK Computers | Website | MSI notebook site page | Tel#: 1-866-760-4998 | email: sales@rkcomputer.net | Contact: Rob M

Where To Buy MSI Notebooks (U.S. & Canada) | Global

[​IMG]

Official MSI GT780/GT783 Downloads

GT780 | GT783

Bios | Bios

Drivers | Drivers

Firmware | Firmware

Utilities | Utilities

Manual | Manual

Other Downloads

Windows 7 w/SP1 (Older WIN 7 links can also be found HERE!)

Corel WinDVD for Blu-Ray

NVIDIA Drivers

MSI AfterBurner

CPU-Z

GPU-Z

3DMark Vantage & 3DMark11

Svet's VBIOS Tuner For NVIDIA 6xx Series New version (1.30u) NOW supporting the GTX-670/675M too, and GTX-680M soon to follow! :D

Treexy Driver Fusion (NEW!..... and replaces the ever popular, Phyxion 'Driver Sweeper')

Piriform 'CCleaner' (Before cleaning with this tool, take note what you are specifically removing. Some users have reported it will remove your 'S-Bar' software.)

Bass Test and THX Demos

GTX-570M vBIOS (1210.bin)

GTX-580 vBIOS (GF114.bin)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

GT780/GT783 'Stock' Hardware Info.

Chipset: Mobile Intel® HM67 Express Chipset

Wireless/Bluetooth card: Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 130

Screen Panel: Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) | ID: CMO1720 | Model: N173HGE-L11, Matte, Product Specifications

HHD's: Seagate Momentus | Western Digital Scorpio Black

SSD: Transcend 128GB, TS128GSSD25S-M

Optical Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F | Firmware Download

Memory Modules: Elixir - Nanya Technology | M2S4G64CB8HB5N-CG

Webcam: Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi), BisonCam NB Pro

Touchpad: Sentelic Corporation | Synaptics | MSI : Which touchpad is in my notebook & drivers?

USB 3.0 Host Controller: Renesas Electronics

Thermal Paste: MX-2

Parts & Accessories - All Things GT-780, GT-783, and MS-1761

GT-780

GT-783

MS-1761

[​IMG]

Videos

MSI GT780/783 Disassembly

Battlefield 3 on MSI GT783 nVidia GTX580M, High and Ultra mode

MSI GT780DX Video Tour

GT780/GX780 Promotion video

MSI GT780R 17" Gaming Laptop, First Look & Review

MSImobile's MSI GT780R: Unboxing Video

SteelSeries Gaming Keyboard on MSI G-Series Notebook

Shootout between MSI GT780R & ASUS G74SX-A1

MSI GT780R 17" Gaming Laptop Keyboard and Dynaudio Speakers Test Ken Lee brutalizing the SteelSeries keyboard, demonstrating the force necessary to produce flex.
    As such, an amused ViciousXUSMC has dubbed Ken, as KENshiro! Under normal use, flexing should never be an issue with this tough keyboard.

Kenshiro MSI GT780R Typing Test A hilarious 'spoof' to the video above - A ViciousXUSMC Production!

How the MSI GT780DXR makes me feel! Go 'Full Screen', crank up the volume...... and DANCE WITH ME!

[​IMG]

How To's

Guide on how to install the NVIDIA Display Driver under Windows 7/Windows Vista

NVIDIA Driver Rollback/Removal Instructions

Clean install of Nvidia drivers, NVIDIA Forums> Graphics Technology> GeForce GTX & ION Drivers

Fan noise (swoosh) too noisy for you at idle? Try this!

Using a wireless mouse, and you want to disable the touchpad? Read this post!

Poor Mic Quality? Try This!

Webcam not working, and not listed in the 'Device Manager'? Read This!

ICM profile to improve the image quality of the matte display for GT780/GT783 notebooks (Chi Mei N173HGE-L11/21)

Pesky Pixel Problems? Try this!

GT780R Keyboard Removal

More on Keyboard Removal/Replacement

Hiding the 'S-Bar' dock from Desktop

Don't like the S-Bar's big blue star on your desktop? New S-Bar Version: 21.011.11023 released! (Thanks to Ken of GenTech for this..... show him some love folks!)

Sentelic Touchpad registry patch (beta)

P1 button TDE does not function correctly? Try this!

Benchmark & Stress Testing Results

My first 'out-of-the-box' benchmark runs of the GT783, GTX-580M

FurMark test of the GT-783

First benchmarking results of the GT780DXR with the GTX 570M

My first benchmark runs of the GTX 570M

For comparison, the first benchmarking results of the GTX 560M

FurMark for 20 minutes, without Turbo Fan

FurMark & Prime, running together for 36 minutes

FurMark & Prime running together, no Turbo Fan, and only a 120W A/C adapter, for 3 hours and 34 minutes

Brutal testing continued for 10 hours and 42 minutes!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Other GT780/GT783 Thoughts..... please PM if you have other suggestions.

Suggested Backpacks & Cases for the GT780:

1.) The Everki Beacon Backpack..... a perfect fit! | At NewEgg | NewEgg Product Tour | At Amazon |

2.) The Targus 17” XL Backpack | At NewEgg | At Amazon |

3.) The Everki Lunar Laptop Bag | Everki Lunar Video | At NewEgg | At Amazon |

4.) The Wenger 17" SwissGear Ibex Backpack | At NewEgg | At Amazon |

Cool Tools, Options, & Helpful Additions:

1.) The Patriot 128GB Supersonic Magnum USB 3.0 Flash Drive | At NewEgg | At Amazon | FOLKS! This thing is FAST!

2.) The Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | At NewEgg | At Amazon | This wireless mouse is fast, full featured, and works great on ANY surface (even glass). Also, the micro USB receiver can remain plugged-in to the laptop, 24/7.

3.) The AU Optronics B173HW01 V.4, 17.3 90% Color Gamut 1080p glossy screen | Product Specifications | YES, it's glossy, but a PRETTY, PRETTY, PRETTY screen. With bright & clear, dazzling eye-popping color, this screen makes the stock matte screen look 'washed-out' & 'gray-scale' by comparison.

11 Reasons why I opted the MSI GT780DXR, over the Asus G74SX

1. An eSATA port, STANDARD!
    2. An extra USB 3.0 port, STANDARD!
    3. Brushed aluminum chassis, STANDARD!
    4. More onboard DDR3 memory (16 GB), STANDARD!
    5. HD 720P webcam that performs at 30 FPS, STANDARD!
    6. HD 1080P LED back-lit MATTE anti-glare screen, STANDARD!
    7. Bios RAID configurable (many notebooks entirely lack RAID support), STANDARD!
    8. The Dynaudio speaker system (BEST in the laptop industry and actually sounds GOOD!), STANDARD!
    9. A 'Steelseries' true tactile-feel gamer’s keyboard, with software control color back-lighting, STANDARD!
    10. It's LESS EXPENSIVE!
    11. The NEW GT780DXR with NVIDIA GTX 570M!

Almost too good to be true…… and at an unbeatable price! The only downside I see in the standard GT780R, is no Blu-Ray reader, but this can be added for only $54. Also, no backpack or mouse, but still no deal-breaker here. The GTX560M of the GT780R will only have 1.5 GDDR5, vise the G74SX with 3 GB GDDR5, but I can find no supporting data that argues this will make any performance difference, whatsoever. It appears the two notebooks are equally spec'ed, however the GT780R is fuller featured, at a nicer price. With regard to cooling & noise, it would also appear that MSI has also done a very respectable job here too.

Of course with the recent release of the GT780DXR, it's excellent pricing, and featured GTX 570M..... the Asus G74SX is now somewhat 'out classed'.

ENJOY!

-=$tr|k3r=-

:D :D :D

2. desktopsheavyonlap

desktopsheavyonlap Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Will I be able to see benches and vid caps of games with fps soon on this thread?

I'm dying to know if the larger chassis will help perform better than the gt683r which I'm debating on.

Striker, I've been following the convo from the other thread. Did you actually receive your unit already?

Oh, and thank you for creating this thread.

3. -=$tR|k3r=-

Reputations:
    I think you will see 'all of the above', and more, as soon as owners get their grubby lil' paws on these. No, I have not received mine yet, but I expect it soon.

Can't wait!

:D

4. gatta

gatta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can not wait to put my hands on this monster. Anyone in this site got this laptop yet from GenTechPc??? It is the only place with the MSI GT780R-012US in stock right now. I called them up and they said they have this model in stock...

5. -=$tR|k3r=-

Reputations:
    That's where I purchased mine, it's ready, and will be here soon!

:) :) :)

6. sector7g

sector7g Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have my model coming from PC Canada. Canadian orders seem slightly different from the US model number that the vendors here have, from what I see it has the BD player, and the 16 gig ram. GT780R-014US

For some reason the prices on this have been going up from when they were first listed for pre order.

I got in on it a few weeks ago for 1651.00 and has gone up to 1689.00 @ PC Canada. They originally had a stock date of June 01 2011, but that did not happen. There is now no date listed, but in an email I got for order confirmation it mentioned June 15, 2011. Not sure why so late when I think most retailers have them in stock now.

PC CANADA - MSI GT780R CORE I7-2630QM,W7HP 16GB,1TB,BD-COMBO,17HD,BT 802.11N,NVIDIA GTX560M 1.5G, [GT780R-014US] - The Original and Highly Rated All-Canadian WebStore

NCIX also had is available for pre order for 1699.00 and have since raised the price to 1778.00, but they list them instock and shipping with 4-8 days as of 2 days ago, june 7, 2011.

NCIX.com - Buy MSI GT780R-014US Intel Core i7 2630QM 16GB 2X500GB Blu-Ray 17.3IN NVIDIA GTX560M 1.5GB W7HP Notebook - MSI/MicroStar - 9S7-176112-014 - in Canada

I also have a corsair force 3 120 gig ssd coming to make this bad boy even faster!

Can not get here fast enough, COMMON SHIP IT ALREADY! tx

7. Bearclaw

Bearclaw Steaming

Reputations:
    it's a shame there's no GTX 485 in it, performance is a bit weak.

8. gatta

gatta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just ordered mine with i7-2720QM. The only thing I was not crazy about it it was the GTX 560M. They should have given us a better selection on the video cards, like the GTX 485m or the HD6970. Anyway everything else is fine. I would not have mind to spend a little extra on a good video card, even if I would pass my budget. The 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear screen. Just what I was looking for, I am just tired of the glossy screen reflecting everything, the matte screen will go easier on the eyes and the Dynaudio tip the scale in favor of this lappy.

9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    As always, MSI makes it insanely easy to change/upgrade the inside of the GT780R.

Vantage GPU scores of 8000 puts it on par with a 5870 which is no slouch of a GPU at all.

Ken's reviews are always so indepth. I really enjoy watching them.

10. SoundOf1HandClapping

SoundOf1HandClapping Was once a Forge

Reputations:
    Too bad Ken doesn't do the actual talking anymore. It was like listening to God speak.

Like Gatta said, I'm looking for a clear upgrade over my 5870m, not a sidegrade. If they havea refresh with a beefier GPU (or if someone can confirm a DIY for, say, a 6970m) I'll be over this machine.