The Official MSI GT76 Titan Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by joskei, Jun 19, 2019.

1. dorj1234

dorj1234 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks gt83vr6reHelp! the full details are I already have a monitor with display port that I will use (total of 2 external monitors). But the main monitor I want to game with is the 165Hz. It has a displayport too, and I think the free port I have to work with it is thunderbolt3 from the MSI GT76.

Question to anyone - can you recommend and link a TB3 --> DisplayPort (not mini) cable ? thanks all in advance!

2. HyperStryker

HyperStryker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sure, will get to those probably near/on the weekend. I am planning to re-paste the CPU and GPU with some Noctua NT-H2 and replace the thermal pads with Fujipoly Extreme ones. I hope to see a few degrees improvement in thermals at least. I did not get this laptop with LM and left it stock when I got it. Same goes for the RAM that came with the system, which are 32GB Samsung modules, running at 2667 MHz (edit: to clarify, there are 2x of them, so 64GB total).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Semmy, Fire Tiger and hmscott like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Definitely an interesting system. Its Achilles' Heel is the fact the the part most likely to fail (GPU) is BGA and integrated on the motherboard. That eliminates any possibility for an affordable out-of-warranty repair or GPU upgrade. Be sure to get the longest warranty possible in case the GPU dies before you are done using it, and to enhance resale value. If you don't want to spend the money for a 3+ year warranty, might not hurt to find out the MSRP for a motherboard.

I snapped this image from this YouTube video.
    Titan.JPG

4. HyperStryker

Reputations:
    So here is the link to the imgur post for the results of the benchmarks: https://imgur.com/a/bhqFy2O
    XTU/HWBot results: https://hwbot.org/xtu/analyze/4192651

The CPU definitely does run really hot, so hopefully a re-paste will help resolve that (bad paste job maybe?). Cooler Boost was running as well to provide the best stock results. Turbo mode was activated in Dragon Center, with a 5GHz all-core OC. Also, with regards to the topic of Optimus, the GPU does route through the iGPU for the main display. However, when connecting my external 1080p 144hz monitor through miniDP, it reports as being connected to the RTX 2080 instead of through the iGPU, which is nice to see.

5. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you need to delid your processor, and apply liquid metal under the cover. This can give you 10-15 degrees of difference.
    Video title translation "Solder is s:rolleyes:it"

[​IMG]

6. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow she runs hot. You should delid if you can, re-paste with liquid metal, consider forgoing dragon center and manually tune the voltages/overclock in the bios because more often than not msi laptops pump more voltage than required. The combination of these things will probably chop 10c off max temps under full load.

7. robsternation

robsternation Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you played AAA games on this machine yet? If you have, have you noticed any meaningful screen tearing, particularly at the highest graphical settings? I'm asking because MSI chose to forego G-Sync on the GT76, and I'm trying to get a handle on the impact this has on the gaming experience, if any.

I've always had G-Sync on my gaming laptops, so I'd appreciate hearing any views from experienced members on whether they think this is strictly necessary for AAA gaming, both now and with a view towards "future proofing."

I fell in love with the idea of the GT76 as a gaming laptop, and put in an order a couple of weeks ago, but since then have been having some second thoughts and have put a temporary hold on my order, pending some more information, especially after learning of MSI's decision to not include G-Sync and, to add insult to injury, to replace it with Optimus.

The more I think about it, some of the design choices on this machine only seem to make sense if MSI were attempting to appeal not only to the gaming segment, but also to the "creator" and/or high-level productivity segments. Consider:

-it's the CPU that is replaceable, not the GPU
    -the lack of G-Sync would not be as big an issue for those intending to use the machine first and foremost for creator/productivity activities. They might even like the idea of Optimus.
    -conversely, the slimmer profile and the quasi-Apple, relatively more minimalist silver design highlights would appeal to many of the hipsters in those segments, but they are achieved at the expense of ditching the mechanical keyboard of the GT75, which IMO most gamers would prefer even if it meant an incremental increase in thickness. (I would choose a slightly thicker machine with a mechanical keyboard in a heartbeat.)

OTOH, the full-blooded components in the GT76 (the desktop 9900k and the 200W RTX 2080), along with what looks like a very, very powerful thermal dissipation system, are still really attractive, despite the other compromises, so I'm hemming and hawing a bit at the moment.

Another question: are there any other new/refreshed designs for desktop replacement machines in the works for the foreseeable future? Clevo's models are becoming dated now, as is the ASUS G703.
    Any chance that those makers are going to come out with something over the next 6 months to a year?

8. HyperStryker

Reputations:
    Yeah, I uninstalled Dragon Center since it messes with XTU and other voltage/power settings. The only downside I see is that I cannot easily set the charge limit for the battery now (last set to 80%, which is fine), and would prefer there to be a standalone program for it. I do not see any current need to run the i9 at 5GHz on all cores, so I keep it stock. I re-pasted a couple days ago and temperatures seem to have barely improved, maybe a couple degrees at most. While gaming, I found that what helped the most was elevating the laptop so there was at least an inch of space below it, causing temperatures to drop by a minimum of 6-7°C! Without the extra spacing, the 2080 would heat up to 86°C and start throttling. With the spacing, GPU temperatures would drop to 78-82°C. For the i9, it only dropped a few degrees as well and to less of an extent because the game I was playing (Dead By Daylight) was mostly utilizing the GPU.

I have played BF4 and BF1 on it. I really do not notice the screen tearing, and even if I do, it does not bother me at all and I have to put in some effort to see it. If you are really concerned about tearing, then at least the external display outputs are directly connected to the RTX 2080, allowing for a G-Sync monitor to be plugged in.

gt83vr6reHelp and robsternation like this.
  9. AndreasVFX

AndreasVFX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I was wondering if this machine has 10Gb Ethernet? We have the GT75 8RG and it has 10Gb Ethernet which is useful over cable network. But on the homepage of MSI they do not mention 10GBe at all.

10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    also it'll be foolish to buy a system so outdated. 10 core from intel is just around the corner in 4-5 months, buying 8 core + a bga GPU while a socket change coming up is like paying just to get crippled.

i give you $3000 so please hit my knee with a hammer as hard as you can!

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.