The Official MSI GT76 Titan Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by joskei, Jun 19, 2019.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have no idea. It would be great if it can be disabled via Optimus. But honestly I do think this one is here to stay. There had to be something bad huh?

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm 100% sure that 'Optimus' "can" be disabled in the unlocked Bios. Every MSI Laptop with switchable graphics can "disable" it. Notice the quotes. The problem is that's useless if you can't get a *DISPLAY* after disabling it--e.g. if the onboard GPU doesn't have any display outputs. If you disable the iGPU or switch Primary Display to PEG, you'll get a black screen and will be forced to clear CMOS.

You can even enable the iGPU in the GT73VR and GT75VR (without switching the MSI GPU Mode to iGPU) and then set the primary display to "Switchable graphics" (SG). --This requires you to forcibly unlock the option via FPTW64 dump and AMIBCP 5.02.0031 or .0023; the hidden menus won't show this option (since it is useless on the GT75VR). It works in the bios just fine, but you get a blackscreen when you boot to windows, because the GT73VR doesn't support rendering from the dGPU to the iGPU, and even though the iGPU is enabled, it isn't the render device. The iGPU only becomes the render device when the dGPU is electronically disconnected from the system (Either removal, or through the Bios/SCM or EC RAM register F1). You'll notice if you switch to iGPU as the display device on the GT75VR and GT73VR, the PEG 0:1:0 Port in system agent says "Not installed" even though your video card is installed.

ryzeki likes this.
  3. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey hey, just took a look at the teardown/bios video for the gt76. I noticed in the video covered the ability to adjust cpu voltage/memory timings/powerlimits/amps. Can you confirm whether or not there are options to manually set the dram voltage, vccsa and vccio? Also, Is it possible to delid the 9900k and run it direct die? Have you put it through the test/bench gauntlet yet with liquidmetal? Looking to get a full idea on temps etc compared to a desktop build with similar cooling.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  4. dorj1234

dorj1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just pulled the trigger on this one with gentechpc. Changed the raid to raid1 on the boot drives, they will apply liquid metal on the gpu and cpu. Can't wait! Will probably be able 2 weeks from now when I receive this beast.

Can anyone post bios videos and other reviews? Also, the concept of running all cores at 5ghz is not clear to me. What would I gain from "locking" the cores this way? Will it not reduce the life expectancy of the system or cpu. ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5. crayolacandiis

crayolacandiis Newbie

Reputations:
  6. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  7. dorj1234

dorj1234 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Will the GT76 benefit from Intel Optane NVME SSD's?
    The motherboard seems to have Optane support (link here) but I wasn't sure if it automagically means that the laptop version that comes with ANY laptop supports it. Probably yes, but let me know what you think..

Cheers,
    JD

8. HyperStryker

HyperStryker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I managed to pick up the GT76 from HIDevolution yesterday on Friday. I've installed the 960 PRO and 860 EVO from my old system and am currently in the process of transferring things over! So far, I'm in love with the system and cannot wait to play some games on it! Thanks to @Ted@HIDevolution for assisting me with the purchasing process!

Ted@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  9. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    cool, congratulations. Could you put the tests in games with monitoring msi afterburner (indicators of frequencies, temperatures, CPU utilization and gpu) so that we can evaluate the performance of the cooling system and the laptop in general :)

10. HyperStryker

HyperStryker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here is a screenshot of MSI Afterburner's HW monitor after 1hr 30min of playing Dead By Daylight @ 1080p 144hz, high settings. Keep in mind that the laptop is running in Comfort mode and that my room is pretty warm here in California, so temperatures will be higher. The TIM was not replaced and is thus OEM. The fan curve for the CPU and GPU were slightly modified (fan in mid-range CPU temps were lowered, higher fan speed than default when CPU is in high temp; the fan curve was slightly increased as well for the GPU when it starts to get on the hot side... about 70C+).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    gt83vr6reHelp and Semmy like this.