The Official MSI GT76 Titan Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by joskei, Jun 19, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, there it is in the small print on that image, "For being a loyal GT owner, we are offering a limited time $150 Mail-in rebate on your next GT-76 laptop purchase"

I think you only were sent that because you were a registered MSI laptop owner...ahhh, checked my email and I also got that offer 22 hours ago.

There is no proof of previous ownership listed as a requirement in the rules - so perhaps it will be good for anyone. :)

Here is MSI's Rebate Information site:
    For questions or concerns about your rebate, call 877-552-3988
    https://msi.4myrebate.com/
    https://msi.4myrebate.com/Home/FAQv2

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. HyperStryker

HyperStryker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wonder if they will honor the rebate for me, even though I purchased the GT76 outside the specified date range (I got mine early July). I probably will contact them to see if they will give some leeway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  3. dorj1234

dorj1234 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Probably down to power plan and tuning. It almost looks like the GT76 is running Balanced power plan - Minimum CPU is at 5% vs 100%, similarly for Nvidia 3D global settings set to quality vs performance.

I tuned a GT75 8950HK / 2080 and my Firestrike scores compare to the GT76 and Area-51m, so again it comes down to tuning. I use Windows, XTU, MSI DGC, and MSI Afterburner to get my tuning done - some like DGC's graphics and you can run both if you layer the changes (DGC first, then XTU / AB).

IDK why a vendor that sells hardware like Xotic PC would bother alienating one of their SKU's like this - potentially causing them to sell fewer GT76's, unless they get better % profit from selling the AW Area-51m's - or there aren't enough GT76's being built.

Consciously, sub-consciously, or thoughtlessly; by pitting one SKU against another Xotic is pushing sales of one over the other.

Seems like an odd thing for them to have done... without a profit motive.

I wouldn't worry about the perceived performance difference, you'll be able to tune your unit within a close enough approximation of the best of the best.

Also as I've said many times before benchmark numbers don't mean much when you turn on frame limiters, G-sync, etc to reduce load so you can reduce fan noise and thermals. Those benchmark numbers aren't every day use numbers, unless you like to run 100% fan's all of the time.

+- 10w-20w of power on the GPU is going to make numbers differences but very little perceivable difference in every day gaming. It's also going to make the GPU run hotter, and the fans run louder. Over time most people get tired of the loud fans, or their spouses / friends complain, and you end up lowering the performance to lower the fan noise.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Semmy and dorj1234 like this.
  5. gqman69

gqman69 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, no and yeah.

Of course RTX 2080 with 200w TDP will beat the standard laptop RTX 2080.

So, yes the 51m looks like a good gamers laptop no doubt.

However, what about the thermals? The turbo sustainability?

Overclocking is a joke on the 51m because it will not be able to sustain any OC, let alone sustain the normal turbo for very long. I am not talking about gaming at this point. Some of us would use the machine for work also. What about a test which is sensitive to memory bandwidth?

Is MSI going to bump the RTX tdp?

Cool things about the GT76 are the BIOS and the 4K panel already available.

I have to admit, for gaming the 51m looks like a winner, specially if you get the easy Dell discount.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    heh maybe you can help us submit feedback. no soldered GPU.

@hmscott AMD's new RDNA GPU surprised a lot of us and 5700 included a portion of GCN too. we might see AMD re-entering the mobile GPU space sooner than we thought. originally i thought with nvidia going to 7nm would increase the gap again but thats no longer the case. moorelawisdead had a few good sound argument that changed my mind. no more bs $1500 per card.

desktop be awesome within next 2 yrs, laptop maybe 2-3 yrs.

hmscott likes this.
  7. omniphonix

omniphonix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just placed my order for a GT76 DT-039. Two things...

One of my main uses for this machine (and why I went with the more powerful desktop 9900K) will be audio production. Can someone run LatencyMon on theirs to see how it handles? I got a bit worried when I saw it used Nvidia Optimus.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Second thing, I am upgrading from a GT72S. Does anyone know how I can get in on that rebate offer? I never got an email about it and mine is registered.

TIA

hmscott likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    AMD have nothing to offer! In notebooks !

9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hence next 2-3 yrs. dont worry though they will soon enough, would love to see a 6700 in a laptop destroying nvidia 3070

hmscott likes this.
  10. gqman69

gqman69 Notebook Guru

Reputations: