*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FYI, my 500 GB 960 EVO never goes over 50c even under heavy load. That heatsink is an absolute monster!

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nicely done.

3. knibbler

Reputations:
    While I'm on a roll...a likely little known fact about the model with the 7700HQ is that it has a 200 watt power limit.

It may be the only 7700HQ there is with essentially an unlocked power limit in the bios. ( I rarely see over 45watts anyway but it's nice to never tdp throttle.)
    Certainly this processor will never thermal throttle either as temps rarely go over 65c in gaming.
    When I sell it for a new next Gen laptop with HK cpu...the poor buyer will likely not even care what cpu it is but instead be mesmerized by the whole package!

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Power limits overrides are ignored for the 7700HQ. it can not exceed 45W for more than 28 seconds, regardless of what's in the Bios. (Power Limit 2 setting for 7700HQ is 62 watts. This can only be allowed for 28 seconds sustained). What saw in Bios was called a "MSR" (CPU register). However there are two things that have higher priority than MSR's. One: MMIO, and 2) PECI. PECI has the highest priority of all, as this is controlled by the EC (Embedded controller) and can overrule everything.

MMIO stands for memory mapped IO. The CPU's default TDP is stored in the MMIO. Trying to change this results in an instant BSOD. The CPU's SKU type mean that the power limit can only be between minimum and TDP limit. Both the EC and the MMIO can enforce this.

Even on an unlocked 7820HK CPU, changing a certain "EC RAM" register will cause the PECI to overrule the Bios overrides and enforce TDP.

There "is" a way to circumvent this in the UNLOCKED BIOS, however this depends on how locked down the EC is with regards to PECI. (Changing IMON SLOPE to 25 can avoid TDP restrictions on UNLOCKED processors done via PECI and MMIO. @Vistar Shook has verified this works on his eVGA 7820HK which has an artificial 70W power limit (enforced by MMIO or EC--probably EC), which ignores the bios setting. This also works on the MSI 16L13 which has a 91W TDP limit on the 7700K, which (again) ignores the Bios setting (due to a MSI "bug"). Unknown if it works for locked processors. Can't test it).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. knibbler

Reputations:
    Well I'm just glad that when it goes over 45 watts it doesn't throttle. Nothing worse than checking hwinfo64 after a long gaming session and seeing a lower minimum clock!
    Also the 200 watt shows up in XTU and throttlestop. My other 7700hq lappy didn't show that

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  6. Ginerashon

Ginerashon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are there profiles other people share for the RGB keyboard?

I have a Corsair K70 RGB profile that I've had for awhile and there are always new profiles up on the Corsair forums. Wondering if there is the same for this laptop? Or is it just not that customizable?

7. wilpang

wilpang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys

Does the stock version of the GT75VR come with one 16gb ram stick or is there different models that have 2 x 8gb dual?

8. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    For 16GB they come standard with one stick only. However you can upgrade to 16GB (2x 8GB) to get Dual Channel, or just add another 16GB stick for 32GB in Dual Channel.

9. wilpang

wilpang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I noticed that for majority of the retailers like Amazon but this site has it as 2 x 8gb which doesn't seem to be standard.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173...0hk-16gb-ddr4-256gb-m2-ssdplus1tb-hdd-8gb-gtx

10. Ginerashon

Ginerashon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a laptop cooler/station something of that sort that you all would recommend that would be good for gaming/whatever while on my lap. I'll probably bring the laptop to the Living room to game on the couch from time to time I'd imagine. I wonder if such a thing even exists. Having to factor in it would be nice to have a place to put a mouse as well instead of using touchpad. I'd imagine the notepal's (lapair) are probably too small? >>Apparently what I'm looking for is a "lap desk"