*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why would I want to get a GT76 over a GT75 anyway? It's got less internal storage expansion, a non-mechanical keyboard, a soldered GPU, and who knows what potential CPU upgrade options will ever be made available - probably none as supported by MSI - so unless someone creates / supports a custom BIOS / firmware with support for a future CPU there's no upgrade option there either.

I don't feel the need for a heavier hotter nosier more frantically cooled overheating laptop in exchange for bragging rights, or for a little more performance, for probably another $1500+ trade-in costs.

Besides MSI had a ? as to whether or not and when the GT76 would even be added to the trade-in options. The trade-in options are limited to what MSI offers and has available in stock.

MSI had 1 GT75 Titan-013 in stock, otherwise nothing scheduled for 2-3 months coming in as a top end configuration.

And, I like the GT75, IDK if I'll like the GT76... don't you like your GT75? :)

dzpliu, Papusan and JeanLegi like this.
  2. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I go back to Desktop so i will sell my GT75VR 7RF.
    AMD ryzen 9 3900X and 3950X are too interesting to ignore them and using further turtbooks or taptop. I had an GT75 with 2080 here for an Review and the 2080 will not fit in the GT75VR so no reason to wait for more books with no upgrade option for my GT75VR.

dzpliu, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's great, yup if you had to choose the best place for the $ I'd suggest the AMD Ryzen 3 desktop too.

I've got 1 upgrade left, and running out of time to use it.

I'm not sure I want an 8c/16t CPU with hardware mitigation I can't disable as the CPU, and the 6c/12t 8950HK is tough enough to cool.

If I wait too long it might not be possible to get the 6c/12t model and I'd only have the 8c/16t H GT75 or K GT76 as choices - for a bunch more $ on top of it all.

I'd much prefer an AMD laptop option, but apparently not going to be available from MSI as an upgrade.

I'll check out the -013 and see how it performs, then decide.

4. JeanLegi

Reputations:
    Wow in Germany i had only one upgrade from my GT72S 6QD to GT73VR. And you got 2? Anyway i would take the 8950HK as you wrote it has enough Power and with an 2080 you will have a lot of fun with it. I had an GT75 8SG here for testing with FHD Display with 144Hz and with some BIOS tweaking from brother @Falkentyne i'm sure you can handle the temps.

Falkentyne and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yup, in the US MSI advertised 2 GPU upgrades before Nvidia put the nix on MXM GPU only upgrades so MSI offered 2 full system upgrades to fulfill the promised upgrades, and starting from the 980m => 1080 => 2080 MSI honored their original GPU upgrade promise.

I actually like the system upgrade over GPU only upgrades. I couldn't imagine hacking in 1080 SLI into the old GT80 and the 2080 doesn't have SLI, so that wouldn't have happened anyway.

Along with the GPU's new CPU's and chassis / etc makes it more interesting, and probably cheaper over all.

If you have the notes / links for the tunings I'd appreciate it, thank you!

6. Ghost 350

Ghost 350 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What do you mean a 2080 doesn't fit the GT75? It comes with a 2080 from the factory

7. JeanLegi

Reputations:
    I don't wrote GT75 ;)
    . The 2080 will not fit into the (into mine GT75VR it will not fit) GT75VR they change the mobo Layout and the Position of the memory slots.

hmscott likes this.
  8. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep I did the same thing. 6C/12T models are cheap as many places here have them all on clearance. And pre-orders for the incoming 9980HK models are WAY above previous pricing, and outside of LM (which I don't want for multiple reasons) I don't see how it will be manageable.

I'd like am AMD option too but I don't like how you have to just accept the 1 or 2 notebooks (that you may not even like) that feature those parts.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Djadit

Djadit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello
    Anyone using external hdr monitor on gt75vr ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    The GT75 Titan-013 arrived, and it works awesome out of the box - all core 4.3ghz, still installing stuff - updated to Windows 10 1903 with no eventful problems, several cycles later got a new Nvidia update. Of course I created a 32GB MSI BurnRecovery USB boot recovery flash drive 1st thing.

The only thing I have special to report is I had 2 "tight" hot spots with the screen at the bottom edge of the screen, and I cured them by pulling out on the bezel with a forefinger nail - to release stress, you could see the bright spot go away right away as I had the bezel pulled out - I did this for 30 seconds then released it gradually and lightly and the fix stayed. The right bright spot was gone on the first "treatment". The left hand bright spot took a few treatments and now there is no screen light bleed. Sweet.

I'll install new storage and then tune.

Nice, no muss no fuss went right to work out of the box. I like it when that happens. :)

Yup, the AMD choices are narrow right now for laptops, but hopefully as AMD grows in favor with makers they will broaden the model coverage till 1/2 the choices are AMD or AMD + Nvidia or Intel + AMD.

Really would like a GT75 appointed AMD choice with Ryzen 3 + Navi 20 for the next go around.

This MSI upgrade thing has been so well run and fruitful, love getting the new case and features along with new GPU power. I wish MSI offerred it moving forward as an option. Trade-Up/In @ 12, 18, 24 month options with continuous warranty coverage, it's a great way to stay at or near the cutting edge, and MSI had lower range options too.

MSI handling the trade-in let's them find good homes for my old laptops, and new laptops come in and work great right out of the box. Couldn't ask for a more convenient and pleasant laptop upgrade experience. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Rengsey R. H. Jr. and sniffin like this.