*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I bought mine off ebay too, but a GT73VR with GTX 1070, but upgraded to a GTX 1080. I don't care for warranty lol. What I noticed is that you might have a single copper heat pipe for VRAM cooling. I upgraded to a two heat pipe. Maybe that helps too ?

Look at the heat pipe for VRAM. Does your have one or two heat pipe?

Before upgrade :

2heat1.jpg

Upgraded:

2heat.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    82280zx likes this.
  2. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Two pipes, copper, looks like your upgraded picture. I went ahead and went in and redid the thermal past on it, it seems to be doing better so far, under 50%ish cpu load I'm running 74cish, under load in a game in never went past 82c on sport mode with turboboost running.

At work I have the Cooler Master NotePal U3 Plus I used to use for my Alienware M18XR2 (rest its soul, gave me 6 years of good service :p) that I might have to modify into something like you have setup with 3x 120mm fans haha.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
  4. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I still have mine, I had a 980m running good temps in it but I think my board finally gave up the ghost or that slot is damaged, it won't boot with the card in and I tried a older 5870 in its place and the bios doesn't detect it. Back to the msi though, when your gaming on yours do you have a 4k screen and run in those resolutions or do you have the 120hz 1920x1080? And I'm considering repasting my 1080 as well, I assume I just voided my warranty doing the cpu repaste lol. Also nice on the cooling pad! What fans are you using and what do you use to power the fans? Also did you replace any of the paste / thermal pads in your msi, I assume you did when you did he heatpipe change?

5. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Remember to also consider ambient temps when you compare your temperatures. Right now I barely get to 70 celsius when gaming, but I am like at 5 celisius ambient temps.

My max GPU temps have always been in the 80s even in the worst case (GTX1080) like 81, and mostly when pushing 4K gaming. My CPU is usually around 60-70 depending how bad the game needs CPU, but on summer.... I easily got 85 celisus or 90 even, with ambient temps of 37 celsius (100F).

Besides repasting, remember to undervolt.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'd add that I would recommend to always undervolt CPU / GPU and tune for desired performance first, to not only get good baseline readings to compare should you then re-paste, but you might find that software tuning like that will be enough to reduce temperatures to stop thermal throttling.

If you aren't thermal throttling there really isn't a good reason to re-paste and risk damage or mishap from physically tearing apart your perfectly good working laptop. :)

ryzeki likes this.
  7. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I redid the thermal paste on the processor and it seems to have helped quit a bit, when I have the laptop in comfort shift mode the processor under load hottest it hit was 82c, ambient temp in this room is probably 23c ish but the place I'll mainly be using it will have ambient temps of 20c. Graphics card under load though was hitting 85c-86c? I haven't redone the paste on it yet but I know doing the CPU dropped it from hitting the 90's etc. Can I use the msi software to undervolt?

hmscott likes this.
  8. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Easy to use software would probably be Intel XTU and Throttlestop.

Advanced settings (particularly when you know what you are doing) will be directly in BIOS, but those two will still have the intended effect. As far as I know, no MSI software for the laptop allows undervolting, just basic overclocking.

I would recommend not using MSI Dragon Center if you are using Throttlestop or intel XTU. There will be conflicts withing settings.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Djadit

Djadit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I try to turn enable fast boot
    But keep restore to disable setting after I save bios config
    What fast boot function?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

10. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's what I had with the MSI GT73VR Titan Pro as well. On the GT75 the setting sticks. It's actually even enabled by default.

Djadit likes this.