*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the new free-sync support seems to work with the games i tested so far. CoD BO 3 and AC Origins.
    - G-Sync Pendulum is working

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. low9

low9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nobody?

I just want to know what is written in the E3 register. I have a 230w PSU and in my case, it's "20".

Please, any help would be appreciated !

3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sorry, in these cases we depend on owners with the particular model you have. since you have a 230w PSU, you are using a GTx 1070?

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    PSU has nothing to do with this. It's video card + CPU only.

1070 should be "20" in GT75 Titan (it's 80 in GT75VR Kaby, 90 in GT73VR Kabylake, 10 in GT73VR Skylake, 7820HK models)
    1080 should be 21, but if the EC has the old SKU's, 91 may even work.
    91 in GT75VR and GT73VR (Kabylake), 11 in GT73VR skylake).

Papusan, ALLurGroceries and low9 like this.
  5. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If your machine comes with a 240W PSU then it is not using the GTX1080, or so it seems from most manufacturers (at least MSI). Meaning all lower end GPUs shipped with 240w PSU and only the higher end put the 330W. I don't think there is a GT7X model with a 1080 and a 240w PSU. I could be entirely wrong tho.

You can use a 80w PSU if you wanted, of course it wouldn't be able to drive the system when taxed, but you could charge the battery at least :p my comment was more akin to... if you have a 240w psu you have a 1070 which means you have a 20 in your register for a GT75.

You are the master of registers for all of these machines, I am glad you can help other users :)

hmscott, Papusan, low9 and 2 others like this.
  6. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope your are right mate!
    GT75VR with 1080 330W
    GT75VR with SLI 1070 2x230W
    GT75VR with 1070 230W

geez.. saw the new spec on the global MSI hompage.. god damn it :D
    @Ultra Male more then enough ports for you? ;)

1x M.2 SSD slot (NVMe PCIe Gen3)
    2x M.2 SSD Combo slot (NVMe PCIe Gen3 / SATA)
    2xx M.2 SSD slot (NVMe PCIe Gen3) , support Intel M.2 NVMe SSD Device only
    1x 2.5" SATA HDD

hmscott, Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  7. low9

low9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you man ! Battery doesn't seem to drain anymore with my 330w PSU.

BTW, the i7 8850h performs really well : 1364cb score

hmscott and Falkentyne like this.
  8. Steven Anderson

Steven Anderson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally decided to upgrade myself from my GP73. Got my new GT75 with the 8750H, and a GTX1080. The -056 configuration. It isn't perfect, but I love the other details of it so far.
    The single stick of 16GB of ram seems stupid to me.
    The keyboard is amazing.
    The cooling system on this thing is beastly.
    The screen is the same exact one as my GP73, but it is very high quality.
    Just love the laptop for sure. I have now had quite a few MSI laptops, and can say this and the GT80 were my favorites. The keyboards on these are amazing with the very tactile feel of the keys and the feedback I get from them.

I ordered another stick of ram today. Anyone done a board flip on this particular laptop? The memory is on that side of the motherboard, and I need to get to it to either fill that side, or take the existing stick out and get it into the rear slots.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  9. maxsilver

maxsilver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same model as you do. It's an awesome machine, and with a bit of tweaking I find it to be close to perfect.

I successfully replaced the 1 stick of 16GB of ram on the back side of the motherboard. Instead of placing my 2 new 2x8 GB stick of Kingston Hyper X memory back in those slots, I placed them in the easy to access slots on the front of the motherboard. Whatever you do don't put the new ram stick in the rear of the board, as it will mean you have a do another full teardown if you have any issues with the new memory.

The job wasn't super hard by any means, but a bit nerve wracking given the amount of disassembly required. Make sure you have a good quality thermal paste replacement on hand. You will need precision screwdrivers at minimum for disassembly, and ideally you will have some plastic disassembly tools available as well for removing the various plastic bits. While you have everything apart it's also worthwhile to take a good close look at the thermal pads on the gpu and cpu as well, might as well replace any damaged pads at this juncture.

With undervolts on the cpu (I use Intel XTU) and gpu (using MSI Afterburner) I am able to keep the machine cool and quiet, even while gaming. I find if you keep the fans below 3000 RPM noise levels are perfectly reasonable.

hmscott likes this.
  10. AndreasVFX

AndreasVFX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got 2x32GB Samsung RAM. M471A4G43MB1 CTD 2666V
    Currently I have 4x16GB Kingston KVR26S19D8 installed so I was considering taking out 2 and replacing them with the 2x32GB.
    I was wondering would it be possible to mix these memory. And if so what would be the memory settings?

I tried putting them in but gut a strange message in Windows. It can see that I have 96GB of RAM, but it only allows me to use 64GB, the rest is reserver.

Any tips would be appreciated.
    Andreas