*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does seem "much", I would say some 8mm wider , and it lost the small "wing" on the right side, but the inverted die compared to the more normal MXM is more similar to the 16L13 than to what the 1070/other MXM GPU's look like, I doubt MSI will redesign the GT75 mobo(to re-locate the MXM slot), given that they keep basic chassis formats for a long, long time.

2. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    3rd? 4th?

The GT75 has been around for exactly 1 GPU generation.

hmscott and Wild Turkey like this.
  4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I was thinking about this too. GT73 technically lasted a single gen, and was suceeded by the better GT75 variation. It's a good design and until there is something to improve, it will remain for a while.

5. low9

low9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I own a new MSI GT75 Titan( coming from GT73VR).

Please, I need a screenshot of the EC RAM from RW Everything from a GT75 Titan (not VR) equipped with a 1080.

Thank you

6. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    MSI should stop sli for gt Series except gt83 and put in an 3rd Fan to Support cooling of the gpu and cpu. And then we have some nice taptops. But lets See what will Happen.

dzpliu likes this.
  7. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And where would you put that 3rd fan exhaust?

The center back is used for IO ports, and on the sides there is no space to mount then without re-designing a lot of the chassis if not everything..

8. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My thoughts so far would be to move the gpu to the open space for the second gpu new mainboard layout i think is possible to get free space at the current location of the gpu.
    remove the second fan exhaust on the marked side to get some space for the i/o ports.
    put the 10GB LAN Adapter next to the cpu or a little nearer to the cpu.
    put the fan at the location of the gpu und create an larger exhaust from the left to the middle (maybe active cooling for the 10Gb chip possible).
    the hs from the gpu could get directly to the current fan and to the middle fan same for the cpu.
    and in my dreams the cooling for the nvme ssd is connected as well to the fan.

thoughts.jpg

Falkentyne likes this.
  9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    To me it looks like this new RTX 2070 / 2080 MXM layout has different mounting points and the card itself would interfere with the CPU and RAM if attempted to fit in the current GT73 / GT75 / WT75. So my guess is they moved the MXM slot on the new GT75 slightly towards the fan.

Hopefully the reason why the GT63 / GT83 refresh has not been announced yet is because they are making a RTX 2070 MXM card for those models that fits the existing flipped GTX 1080 form factor used. If that were the case such a card could also work in the Tornado F5 and WT75 (with a new heatsink) in theory. It looks like GDDR6 cannot be packed as tightly as GDDR5, so likely the current GTX 1070 form factor would not work for anything more than a RTX 2060.

Just theories but I am hopeful we can at least get a RTX 2070 as an upgrade option in a few months.

10. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure the GT83 is DOA. the RTX2070 does not allow "sli" or nvlink, so it won't go into GT83, and I am not sure they want/can put dual RTX2080s there.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.