*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. BlakLanner

BlakLanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    BitLocker works just fine on the GT75. I use the laptop as a work machine and have it turned on.

Pedro69 likes this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Bitlocker is annoying. Nothing like having a lock symbol by your drive and a key you can't lose. Yes it works.

3. raad11

raad11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So a quick test in XTU reveals that under its built-in CPU stress test (only 5 min though), on stock voltage (removed hidevolution's undervolt), it peaks at 90-91 C on one core (sometimes Core 0, sometimes Core 2) but spent like 99% of the time below 90 C in the 80s. That's alright I guess? I didn't prop up the back of the laptop.

Undervolting by 0.145 brought it down so that it peaked at 81 C, a full ten degree drop. What are the average undervolts people are achieving on these chips?

This is way better than my old Alienware which was on stock paste. Games are not going to come near the temps that a CPU stress test would anyway. My Alienware never hit over 80 C while gaming in Overwatch for example, my primary game and hit 80-81 C in only heavy duty games. Then again this is a completely different CPU. That was a crappy 6700HQ, this is an 8850H. I expect that the 8850H should be a hotter chip to begin with, am I wrong?

So I think I have a little overhead to increase the turbo core speeds. I'll experiment and see what temps I get.

Another question, do games use all 6 cores? I.e, if I put 4.3 GHz on 3 or 4 cores, is that enough for games? Or is the 6-core ratio the only one that will matter for games? That said, is it possible to lock a game onto 4 cores and bump the 4-core ratio to 4.4 GHz? Would that even be beneficial?

I haven't bothered benching anything except a quick comparison with my old systems in Userbenchmark.com:

This GT75: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12662837

My desktop: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12684740

My old Alienware 15R3: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3729935 (SSD test is different)

My old i5-2500k desktop: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3729780 (SSD test is different) (This is now my beast of a Plex server, lol... what an amazing generation of chips)

Also, 417.22 driver decreased GPU result for everything for some reason (in the Parallax test)

4. raad11

raad11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Btw, what can I use to control fan speed? Does this thing push the fans to 100% easily as soon as temps get over 70 C (i.e, not tuned for quiet) or is there a BIOS setting somewhere? Or is there a good program you recommend for that?

5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I just leave them on Auto and they spin up when they reach a certain threshold. If I wanna run a stress test or benchmark, I set them to max speed by pushing the button on the right next to the keypad. It's the 2nd one

raad11 likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Asking this for someone else. He bought a GT75 during Black Friday, and all is well, other than there not being an option to set up G-Sync under the Nvidia Control Panel.

Do you guys know why G-Sync wouldn't be showing, and how he can go about getting it enabled?

7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    This is a picture of his NVCP:

[​IMG]

He has a MSI GT75 TITAN-058.

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

This *ONLY* happens if that laptop is modified with a monitor it did not originally come with and was not validated for gsync in the bios via the gsync cookie.
    This was not a new laptop, was it ?

raad11 likes this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've had my first GT73VR Titan Pro with this problem, no amount of VBIOS or BIOS flashing fixed it. I had to have the unit replaced and the 2nd one had GSYNC, exact same model and specs.

Classical MSI Swiss cheese

10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Yeah it's 100% brand new, he bought it from Newegg. Not refurb, open box, or anything like that.

I remember that thread, we couldn't figure out what it was and HID replaced it if I'm remembering correctly.

BTW, I did just check in with someone else with a GT75, and they said theirs shipped with no G-Sync out of the box, but updating the BIOS caused it to appear after the restart.