*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm almost sure that that core numbering is not correct.
    Pretty sure core "2" (aka core 1 in HWinfo64 or HWmonitor) is bottom left.
    Otherwise on your CPU your hot cores would be "cores 0, 1, 2" and cooler cores would be "cores 3, 4, 5" shown in HWinfo64.

Post your HWinfo64 maximum load temps (use either 4 consecutive runs of cinebench r15, in a row, OR use Prime95 with AVX disabled (CPUSupportsAVX=0 in prime95's local.txt file in the prime95 folder), for 5 minutes).

2. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, i can confirm that my hot cores are "cores 0,2,4" and cooler cores are "cores 1,3,5"...my hot core is core 2 with 15 difference :/

3. Pedro69

Reputations:
  4. prodj

prodj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Audio question:

I'm looking for a headphones/headset and some of them are "7.1 surround" with just two drivers. WTF is that?
    Is it just headphones with crappy sound card which simulates surround and I definitely do not need that because my integrated sound card can do the same to ANY headphones?

5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Pretty much proves me right.

VRM's
    Chokes
    --------
    0 2 4
    1 3 5
    --------

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  6. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Put your question there,

https://www.head-fi.org/forums/headphones-full-size.4/

7. Talamier

Talamier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Been lurking the last few pages and decided to run @Falkentyne 's test using Prime95. I ran 5 minutes and temps seemed to cap at 81C but I could barely hear the fans. I opened dragon center and set the fan speed to 'cooler boost' and the temps dropped like a rock to ~66C and stayed there.(while sounding like a hair drier) While I understand the physics, I had some questions about the behavior:

1) Is there a setting somewhere to kick up the fans prior to 81C? Maybe a middle ground between 81 and 66C? Is this even a concern? I am using a cooling pad under the laptop. (HAVIT HV-F2068 - great stand for this laptop)
    2) Should I be concerned with power limit exceeded in the HWinfo64 window? (maybe a byproduct of the under-volt performed by HIDevolution?)
    3) Is this the right clock speed for an 8850H? Specs say 4.3MHz in turbo mode but that's for one core...? It's been years since I've fooled around with overclocking my old desktop but I do enjoy tweaking my hardware and am slowly building up my knowledge on this Titan to do so.
    4) I have the performance set to turbo in dragon center but do you think I could get more GPU performance with a manual overclock?

I'm thrilled with this laptop and have been using it extensively with almost no issues. I'm mainly interested in GPU overclocking. While on my desk, I'm using a 3440x1440p ultra wide as my main display and would like to get as much performance as possible. Sorry for dumb questions in advance. :)

Attached Files:

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Very good core temperatures between cores :)

Talamier likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    The default fan speed curves are stored in the embedded controller.
    There are three groups, first for the CPU, then for GPU#1 and (maybe or maybe not) GPU#2; it may just be GPU#1 with temps then fan speed "curves" (%) meaning both GPU's, if present in an SLI system, would run at the same speed. Can't test that.

You can see the first "Long" group I circled, although I forgot the first 64. Then there is another ascending group of values after that that I didn't circle. Then a third group. Then a fourth group.
    The very first that is circled "seems" to be the CPU "temperatures" in hexadecimal format, at each step, like a curve. The second (which I didn't circle) seems to be fan speed settings. e.g. 14, 1E, 23, 37 3C 41 64. Check how many speed steps are in "MSI Silent Option", as I'm not sure if 1E is a fan speed. One of the values has to do with what 'curve' is being used. .

The fact that it goes from "41" hex to "64" hex at EC Register 77 and 78 is rather telling. I am assuming that 64 means 100% fan speed and 41 means 65% fan speed.

I guess the next group (circled) is the GPU temp steps and the fourth group (uncircled) are the GPU fan speed steps.

The settings that are stock are for basic automatic fan speed, if you have nothing installed. As you can clearly see, the fans seem to barely even start spinning until you reach 80C.

MSI Silent Option lets you set custom fan speed curves with a "temperature" slider and a fan %, but the fan % isn't calibrated for these newer laptops. I found that 90% on the MSI Silent Option slider is 5000 RPM (maximum fan speed), meaning anything above 90% makes no difference. You have to test it yourself to find out. That is on a GT73VR, so I do not know if the GT75 acts differently or has fans >5000 RPM or not.

The "Type" of curve in use seems to be stored at EC Registers F4, F5 and F6.

msitaiwanEC.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    raz8020, Talamier and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    did i see it correct that aorus is able to support 4 memory sticks with 2666Mhz?