*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You always have the right to talk if something not is right as you expected even if is your fault or not...

hmscott likes this.
  2. Jakeya

Jakeya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    help how to set the fan curve, my fans run at more than 80C for gpu during gaming, what fan curve software do you use? DGC or third party apps?

3. prodj

prodj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is the best way to load GPU and monitor its temperatures?
    I will attempt to repaste everything with MasterGel Maker Nano and will try out IC Graphite Thermal Pads. Not sure in which order yet.
    And I need an even testing ground to record all 3 results (now, with nano and with graphite).
    CPU I will load with prime95. But GPU - not sure. Just AIDA is ok?

Just got a reply from support, giving me green light:
    It is normal that CPU or GPU will reach 80~9X degrees on high loading status, and there may be some difference on different laptop.You can try to clean your thermal module/heat sink or change the thermal grease to reduce the laptop's temperature.
    And the service center can help you with that.
    https://www.msi.com/page/service-location-new

(I asked if repasting is ok with the warranty, and I'm taking it as a Yes)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  4. prodj

Reputations:
    AIDA's GPU stress:
    79°C on auto fan (3800rpm).
    69°C on advanced fan (5000rpm).

Looks totally fine to me. I'm not even sure I want to repaste it when I'll be doing that to CPU.

Or how do I really stress it?

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Those are normal temperatures. GPU doesn't really need to be repasted because both the GPU and the GPU heatsink are flat, and much less prone to dryout than the CPU (CPU=convex, CPU heatsink=even MORE convex).

prodj likes this.
  6. prodj

Reputations:
    Oh... Just watched disassembly video and there is no way of getting to the CPU without unmounting all the GPU heat sinks... right?
    I guess I'll have to repaste everything anyway, so I think I'll just throw graphite pads first..and if satisfied - won't go again.

7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Um,
    On the GT73VR and GT75VR, all you have to do is unscrew the CPU fan (UNPLUG THE BATTERY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and then unscrew the 4 heatsink holes and off the CPU heatsink goes. Takes less than 2 minutes to do.

On the GT75 Titan, the problem is the CPU now has an "extra" extended heatpipe going to a new "half" radiator with the GPU VRM sharing the other half radiator (on the older VR's, the GPU had a full sized radiator). From the picture I saw, the CPU half radiator is **UNDER** the GPU half radiator (why....why......that's just stupid), so yes, you have to undo the GPU VRM plate! But the GPU VRM plate is *BLOCKED* by the GPU heatsink plate, so that means the GPU heatsink plate has to come off first, just to get to the GPU VRM plate.

So yes, you're right.
    Dear god...I am never touching MSI again.
    Why the HELL would they do this?

Why not have the CPU radiator on TOP side and the GPU VRM radiator on BOTTOM SIDE?
    That's called LOGIC.
    It is completely illogical to have the CPU radiator on the bottom......unless someone with a degree in LOGIC can explain to me this stupidity?
    @Papusan ?

gt75cpu2.jpg

hmscott and prodj like this.
  8. prodj

Reputations:
    I guess they prioritized access to the video card, because if it was vice versa, you'd have to remove CPU's heatsink to remove video card from the slot, and in this laptop CPU is f****** soldered, but GPU is still (hopefully) upgradable.
    So, if there was a logic to this order - it's that, I guess.
    But yeah, whole this system seems very stupid or at least strange.

edit. well, at least it does its job, just needs some pasting occasionally

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  9. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can confirm that, when i do a repaste always need because cpu core difference, you need removed first the gpu stuff to get on the cpu :/

hmscott likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    GPU is upgradable to what, though?
    I'm 150% sure you are NOT going to be putting a GTX 2080 MXM in this thing. Period.

Yes 1070 users can "upgrade" to a 1080 if they also acquire the 1080 GPU heatsink and GPU VRM sink (the positions of the parts differ on 1070 and 1080, so the same heatsinks cannot be used), but how many people actually do this? Especially with 1080's costing about $1,000 USED on ebay...(the heatsinks are easier to acquire than a valid tested working GPU)...

And repasting the GPU simply requires only removing the GPU fan and GPU core heatsink, and that's it. On the GT75VR, the CPU repaste was just as fast and easy as the GPU repaste (ignoring the convex CPU heatsink, which often requires sanding down slightly + stretched 0.5mm thermal pads to stop core 0/2 high temps, but that's another story).