*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Talamier

Talamier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok wow this helped immensely. Thank you for the recommendation! It's mildly frustrating all the tweaks you have to do these days just to get full performance. My old Win7 tower kicked ass the day I built it and turned it on. I'm driving a 3440x1440 ultra wide monitor so I need to squeeze as much performance as I can. My thermals never seem to exceed 76C thanks to the HIDevolution re-pasting so I may dabble in some GPU overclocking in the future.

heliada and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  2. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I am so glad you are pleased!

Squeezing this much horsepower into a little box does take good tuning. Our "Secret Sauce" to tame the temps involves more than just the Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads and Bottom Ventilation Mod upgrades. The other blend of ingredients comes standard when you get the Thermal Material upgrades.

Talamier and Ultra Male like this.
  3. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are welcome ^^ I wish I knew about hidevolution a year ago when I bough my gt72vr from a local shop... Now I am all on my own with troubleshooting aside from the extremely lovely people on these forums! But since even Phoenix has issues with the new drivers, I think everyone is affected (so am I). I raised the issue with msi and nvidia but nothing is happening as I am just an individual. It's sad. Older drivers give me bsod & black screen issues when the display turns dark to save power as per windows power settings - if I disable that, no issues. All the drivers available for this laptop are a mess imo and I wish nvidia or msi did something but I can't do anything beyond submitting my feedback to them.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah but MSI sets it to 179 by default. The reference value for KABY LAKE is supposed to be 1.80 mOhms and for Coffee Lake 2.10 mOhms. But this is for LGA processors on desktop boards. But we're dealing with BGA cancer here. Now it's possible the referenced Coffee Lake value over on the Asus forums is a mistake by Raja (the Asus employee), after all, 8700K can be used on Kaby lake boards with modification, but someone needs to find the intel technical documents. In fact you know Intel DOES have an 800 number. Someone could call them and ask for engineering reference documents for the IA Loadlines. Won't be me, however. I already put in my time.

Papusan and heliada like this.
  5. Tweety78

Tweety78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the detailed explaination, I think though I will stay with AC/DC set to 1 and not mess with it.
    When HIDEvolution support walked me through changing IA AC/DC loadline to 1 in the BIOS, he also had me change to static voltage of 1.250v, that's what you see in the screenshot. who knows, maybe MSI will correct the AC/DC default values in the future so customers wouldn't have to fix it on their own.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The default values are designed specifically by Intel. MSI has no say in this.
    But these values are designed to work with ADAPTIVE voltages. It's made for automatic adaptive voltages.

On desktop boards, when using STATIC voltages (override voltages), this setting is ignored, because static voltages directly affect CPU VCORE rather than VID and the IA AC DC setting thus gets ignored,, so the IA AC DC loadline setting does not affect the manual vcore setting.

the issue with MSI isn't even this.
    It's that they use loadline calibration to compensate for vdroop, when the IA AC DC setting basically already does its own "vdroop compensation" itself by boosting the VID by a certain amount of resistance at full load (IA AC), and then having it droop back down to prevent overshoot (IA DC). On desktop boards, "Loadline Calibration" is used to compensate for vdroop, and usually LLC is disabled when using fully adaptive voltages. so you can see where the problem can occur. You basically have the Intel designed boost/droop setting doing its own voltage droop/compensation, then MSI's own loadline calibration setting also doing it, so then the IA AC setting boosts an already flatlined voltage curve, causing it to 'Jump' at full load.

This is why for example, Vistar Shook's 7820HK on an eVGA laptop needs 1.50v set in the Bios to do a 4.9 ghz cinebench run, while MSI' (my sample) needs 1.38v to do a 4.9 ghz cinebench run, yet his temps and my temps and power draw on both chips is basically identical. His eVGA doesn't have an internal loadline calibration, so his 1.50v voltage gets drooped down ant load (probably to around 1.35-1.40v), AND his eVGA also ignores the IA AC DC =auto setting when using STATIC VOLTAGES (it basically acts like it's set to 1 and 1 already), while MSI uses 1.38v and auto compensates for the vdroop (AND also needs IA AC DC loadline set to 1 manually to prevent voltage BOOST).

Tweety78 likes this.
  7. NerdAlert

NerdAlert Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to locate a detailed GT75 Titan 8RG dissasembly guide? I've searched everywhere and can't find what I'm looking for... I would think there has to be something out there that details how everything is assembled. I've seen some pretty crappy videos and I understand how one would perform a board flip, but I'm looking for other minor things. Right now for instance, all I'm looking to do is replace the right button on the touchpad. I dont feel comfortable trying to pry it out and would like to know exactly how it is connected if I can avoid a full teardown for such a small replacement.

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    GT73VR Titan Pro disassembly video but they should be very similar:

Vistar Shook and Papusan like this.
  9. NerdAlert

NerdAlert Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, Phoenix. This is definitely helpful for some other tinkering I'll be doing. Any thoughts on that touchpad button? I have trouble believing if you wanted to fix/clean a jammed button or replace it, that it would require a full disassembly... I was hoping it would be able to be removed like a keyboard key.

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    It requires a fully disassembly to reach to it. I would strongly advice you NOT to do that unless you are really comfortable dismantling taptops.