*** The Official MSI GT75 Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would I be silly to even consider buying one with the single gtx1070 and i7 model due to budget restraints when there are other alternatives out there with the exact same specs but in a slim portable form factor like the Asus Zephyrusm aero 15x, MSI stealth or is this the only 8th gen laptop that actually that has enough cooling to adequately run the new 6 core CPU without throttling and for this reason is worth it?

Does the base i7 generate significantly less heat than the i9 CPU?
    For someone doesn't do any overclocking, would the i7 be overkill for my needs?
    I've heard even the cooling on the system still isn't enough with the i9. Is this true?

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The GT75 series use the exact same heatsink. Only the CPU (or video card) is different. If the Bios and EC firmware is the same between the i7 and i9 version of this model, then the mainboard and heatsink MUST be the same, with only the PSU and GPU differing (GTX 1080 will use a different heatsink than GTX 1070 of course).

The i7 and i9 chips are exactly the same, besides i7 being more locked down and a lower quality silicon bin tier. Heat produced is a function of voltage and amps, so an i7 and i9 6 core CPUs running at 3.4 ghz @ 1.1v will both produce exactly the same heat, if of course the default VID is identical for the same speed preset. The difference is, the i9 is fully unlocked while the i7 isn't, so the i9 will thus potentially be able to clock higher (and thus run hotter as a result).

The silly and confusing thing about this i7 vs i9 drama is that the i9 + GTX 1080 uses 2x230W PSU's (the same configuration that the old GT73VR 1070 SLI 4 core system used), while the i7 uses a single 330W PSU. And there is no i7 GTX 1080 configuration (as far as I know), and there is also no i9 + GTX 1070 configuration.

I think MSI's hardware team is overdosing on marijuana, because they could have easily produced a i9 + GTX 1070 configuration and bundled it with a single 330W power supply easily.

Perhaps they thought that customers would think a 115W GPU would be useless when paired with an unlocked 6 core CPU, and that the 115W GPU would be best paired with the lower tier locked/partially locked down chips, especially this far into the GTX 1080/Pascal's lifespan. And TDP modding the 6 core version of the GPU's on these systems is currently impossible.

To be honest, a 115W GPU paired with a 6 core fully unlocked CPU looks sort of stone age, whether it's a 8700K or 8950HK.

raz8020 likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    GREED, bruh. It's called Greed. Put in i9 in this combo and it will will hold up the prices. Buy more i9 from Intel means also lower prices in.

https://www.google.no/search?q=Lear...hrome..69i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ashtrix and raz8020 like this.
  4. Eflatun

Eflatun Newbie

Reputations:

Would you take a video of what you're doing or a complete guide, pls.. Thank u.

5. Ghost 350

Ghost 350 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Yes the GPU is "upgradeable" but no one can really say if the next gen cards will be supported with current hardware. Nvidia changed the mxm format when they released the Pascal notebooks. They can change it again or drop mxm altogether with the 11 series notebooks. But if you bought a GT75 with a 1070 you can upgrade to a 1080. Or use the thunderbolt port and pair that with an external graphics amp and use any card you like.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Upgrading to a 1080 in a MSI Titan notebook, from a 1070 is rather difficult and nothing like doing it on a Clevo.
    You need the proper PSU (most likely a single 330W is not enough; the Eurocom 780W will work, and trying to buy the 2x PSU + adapter dongle is going to be hard unless your reseller will sell it to you), and that's the easy part.

How are you going to get the 1080 heatsink and VRM sink? the 1070 version cannot be used. And the 1080 VRM sink from the GT73VR and GT75VR also cannot be used (due to changes in the extended CPU radiator sharing the GPU radiator area, split in half), although the GT73VR/GT75VR 1080 main GPU heatsink should still work (those are at least available on ebay or aliexpress).

7. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @heliada

Are you sure that your model dont suffer of same issue?

This guy have breaks in game and for sure that is BD-Prochot...

Im getting the same model but after see this video i dont know...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  8. prodj

prodj Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can anybody recommend unlocked vBios for GTX 1080?
    I need to downclock it more than for 200hz in NVidia Inspector.

9. Abhishek Kumar

Abhishek Kumar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anybody tell me what can i do to keep the 2 power bricks together something like the predator 21 has like an x shape holder
    Please help

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    You ditch the 2 power bricks and buy the Eurocom 780W adapter. ($$).

Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.