The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    yes the 3rd m.2 slot is a SATA III m.2 slot, not NVMe, look at my signature to understand what you can put there. I have a 1TB 850 EVO m.2 SSD in there

you see, out of the 3 m.2 slots, 2 of them are NVMe where I put my 960 Pros in, and the 3rd one is a standard SATA m.2 slot for additional storage

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wait, what RAM do you have in there already? 8 GB? 16 GB?
    1 stick or 2 sticks?
    Is it DDR4-2400 ?

3. imprezd

imprezd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    right now I have 2 sticks of this

[​IMG]

I am planning to take it out and install 2 sticks of G-Skill instead, 32gb total.

4. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Best to not mix and match RAM.
    Why not just save yourself a ton of money and buy two more of the Kingston sticks?
    Plus you can overclock them too. My 32 GB of 4x8GB Kingston ValueRam is running 15-15-15-35 1T, tRFC=270, tREFI=32767.
    And......you won't have to risk destroying your taptop by opening it up and removing the motherboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW6HBSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was $74 when I bought 2 sticks. Now it's $94.....uh......whatever.

Phoenix likes this.
  5. imprezd

Reputations:
    So they are the same and will match my current RAM fine?

6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    They are identical.
    MSI sticks are Kingston with a re-branded SPD.

Vistar Shook and Phoenix like this.
  7. imprezd

Reputations:
    Got it. Thanks!

I guess I'll do that. Don't really want to tear the laptop apart. Thanks!

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When you explain undervolting to a non-technical person - or even a technical person that just wants a solution to their thermal throttling, or uncomfortable high temperatures on their CPU, they don't want a long technical explanation that makes their eye's gloss over :)

Besides, truthfully out of the box the CPU voltage applied is too high - it doesn't matter what the mechanism is - whether it's a "fixed" value of voltage or a "fixed" algorithm that applies too much voltage - undervolting using a simple value solves the problem - and that's all they really came to get.

You are far more interested in looking smart - or "smartest" rather than helping people solve their problem simply. You extract too high a price, and far too much time out of the lives of people that simply don't care about the details.

They want a simple solution so they can get back to doing what they set out to do in the first place. They shouldn't need to take a trip through Alice's Wonderland of technical minutia to get a solution.

You seem to miss that point, I keep trying to help make it to you so you will lay off these technical expose's, I'm still hoping you will come around :)

People can be helped in a few minutes, instead of hours, that's what they need and this is about what they want, not what you want.

Anyway, try to tone down the technical excursions, and just give them the simple instructions on how to undervolt using XTU and TS, and everyone will be happy.

If you need have this for yourself, then start a thread for that technical minutia and link it as "further details if you are so interested" when you help them.

Asking the average person to install a hacked BIOS with all that goes with it, instead of a few short sentences on how to undervolt is silly, it's overkill for a simple problem. :)

9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    I'm a chess master, Hmscott. I do what feels right. I am myself, and I'll do as I feel is right, regardless if you like it or not. Sorry for sticking up for myself, but if I don't do it no one else will.

raz8020, Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, there are many different kind of people that frequent NBR, so there is something for everyone interested in tech. For me Falkentyne and his technical knowledge helped me overcome my technical limitations to address certain limitations of my machine. He guided me on how to unlock the Bios of my notebook, but even unlocked, none of the settings really did anything, then he suggested altering MMIO settings with RWEverything, that worked with certain machines, but to no avail, unfortunately. I basically gave up on the possibility of increasing the PL limit of my machine, when I then read a post he addressed to me from a while back, mentioning IMON offset, that I ignored obviously, and voilá, issued addressed.

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk