The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    are you sure you've reset your BIOS to defaults and touched nothing else, disabled your AV, and are running the batch file regularly not as admin?

finally, you need to have the folder extracted on your desktop, not anywhere else

2. GENOCID

GENOCID Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes ive done everything like u said still nothing ive done it twice on clean install before as well unblocked disabled av reseted bios with nothing touched and extracted on desktop. the only thing i didnt do ws updated windows

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    right, and you did download it from the MSI GT73VR Titan Pro page right?

If that's the case, then please contact MSI for more help on this

PS: you must be on the latest BIOS BTW for this to work

4. GENOCID

GENOCID Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have 7re so i downloaded it from there i also download latest bios updated a few days ago HOWEVER on website its advertised different date but after i download and extracted date is few month older on the bios version anyway even in bios menu info but version is same. im gonna try to contact them as i cant find any solution

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok guys, time for me to explain something. I'm sure most of you will be able to follow me. Maybe someone will find this useful. Maybe someone will find me insane. But if 1 person finds this useful I did my job.

The reason why UNDERVOLTING works on these MSI laptops is NOT because these chips are overvolted from the factory, as has been claimed repeated times on this and other MSI threads!
    It's because of something called VID BOOSTING. Or more precisely, a hidden setting called "IA AC DC Loadline".

The Intel reference value for this setting seems to be 1.80 mOhms (this is completely estimated. It is 2.10 mOhms on Coffee Lake, but trying a manual 210 value in the Bios causes power draw to be a bit too high; 1.80 (180) is a lot more on point). The reference value is supposed to BOOST THE CPU VID based on current--the more current (higher load), the higher the boost, based on the resistance value. An extremely high resistance value would cause the VID to shoot past 1.5v and could destroy the mainboard. But anyway:

This setting is supposed to be used with adaptive (automatic) voltages, to try to give some stability to the system at full load, to counter vdroop, by causing the VID to rise at load. Unfortunately, due to MSI's cancer coding, it's completely impossible to know the true default VID of your CPU sample without an unlocked Bios, THE VID SHOWN AT FULL LOAD WITH THE AUTO SETTING BECOMES GROSSLY UNDERREPORTED AND INACCURATE, and finding the actual "VID Boost target" (your VID at load) is an exercise in complete pain--watching idle VID, watching it jump all over, using extremely light single thread loads or load chances and watching to find the high and low point. The best time to find the true 'high' VID (the vid USED at full load, which is going to be MUCH LOWER than the current VID readout in HWinfo64 or Throttlestop !!), is right after booting the system, when stuff is still loading.

And it's pretty shocking if you actually manage to see what is going on.

Example I just tested:

1.175v (1175mv) static OVERRIDE voltage + AC DC Loadline= Auto (MSI default setting) has a highest VID spike of 1.31v. What that means is that when doing a full 8 thread load test, the VID (and thus target voltage, BEFORE vdroop (which you can't measure; no vcore sensor is on these laptops)) is actually 1.31v !! But the current VID shown in HWinfo64 and Throttlestop is only 1.22v !!!

(in this test, prime 95 small FFT, AVX and FMA3 both disabled, reached 90 degrees C, after 4 minutes. This is at 4.5 ghz, 1.175v, and IA AC DC loadline=auto. Note: the EXACT same temps and power draw were shown with a manual IA AC DC value of 180 instead of Auto).

So let's set the voltage to 1.31v directly, shall we? And let's set IA AC DC loadline to 1, the lowest value, to stop all VID boosting and have the voltage you set in Bios be the true voltage.

So now...back to windows. VID is fluctuating by 0.3v. (this seems to be the AVX boost, as windows does use AVX instructions).
    Anyway, now, VID at idle is showing up as 1.31v or 1.32 (close enough).
    VID at full load, 8 thread small FFT prime 95, AVX and FMA3 disabled....is.........1.31v !
    And the temps and power draw are IDENTICAL to that 1.175v + IA AC DC loadline=180 (Auto) earlier.

So there you have it.
    Now, on DESKTOP BOARDS (at least from most 8700K results I've seen on OCN), the IA AC DC loadline setting is ignored when using static override voltages. Example: one user said his requested VID on his 8700K was 1.5v (!) but the vcore was MUCH much lower (since he has a vcore sensor). His vcore was showing up as 1.23v while the VID was 1.5v).

Also keep in mind that VID DOES NOT show vdroop. you need a vcore sensor to see vdroop. VID is not a vcore sensor.

So.....who cares right? What does this have to do with undervolting?

Simple.
    The reason why almost everyone can undervolt these processors, including both HQ and HK processors, by -100mv to -150mv, until (On HK processors) you start overclocking to a point where the CPU's default VID is no longer high enough for stability, is you are indirectly REMOVING the VID boost from the IA AC DC loadline setting. So you aren't really undervolting these processors at all, actually! The only issue then is at full idle and very light load, when there isn't any VID boost, whether the undervolt keeps the processor stable or not.

You can find your CPU's true requested preprogrammed "default" VID by using Adaptive voltage (not static) and setting IA AC DC Loadline to 1.
    In this case, static voltage will override the default VID to match your static vcore override. But don't forget about vdroop (voltage drop) which VID DOES NOT SHOW!.

So TL;DR:
    If you want actual control over your voltages, unlock your Bios, set the IA AC DC Loadline to between 1 and 10 (1 will show true VID but will have the most vdroop and the most chance of instability), and then either set a static voltage you find is stable, or use Adaptive voltage with a POSITIVE offset if you are overclocking a HK processor. And always check for WHEA correctable errors HWinfo64 or windows event viewer) if you think you are stable because you passed stress tests or gaming with no errors; getting those means you are not stable.

Arestavo and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. imprezd

imprezd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anything particular you can advise?

I am looking at these

Falkentyne likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Those look good, they are actually a bit faster than mine with aa 16-16-16-39 rating

these are mine but I believe only MSI has stock for them:

Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MB-16 2400 MHz.(17-17-17-39) 64GB DDR4 RAM

Make sure your entire system has the same memory though as the timings are different

Falkentyne likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What the hell happened to RAM Prices? Oh my god...

9. imprezd

Reputations:

Yes, I am planning to ditch the kingston RAM that I have now (same as yours) and put those new G-Skill.

Edit: Just took off the cover and didn't find where those RAM modules are. I can see two empty slots, but can't find the ones installed. Do I have to take out the motherboard as they are on the back side of it?

Another question - I have 2 SSD's in RAID (not sure what type) and 1 SATA HDD as a storage. Do I still have one slot left? What type of slot is it?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  10. imprezd

Reputations:
    One slot is empty, but I can't figure what type of slot is it.

[​IMG]