The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. unlucky bedouin

unlucky bedouin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Most customers asked to MSI for this gpu crashes and MSI says simply "replace whole laptop". If replacing of MXM card is solves problem %100, MSI says ''we can replace gpu". I want completely replacing laptop as other customers. And i know this is not a MSI's fault.

2. powerofviva

powerofviva Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone please help me to undevolt/overclock my laptop??

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Donald@zTecpc and powerofviva like this.
  4. powerofviva

powerofviva Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. bodosko

bodosko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello guys.
    Have you experienced a really dark hdmi output?
    I've tried tweaking every possible configuration on Nvidia Panel with no success.

The only solution is to set gamma for secondary display very high as 2.5 while primary display is 1.0 gamma.
    The problem is colors look very weird doing this.

Can you help me please?

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Which nVIDIA Driver are you using?

Can you test switching to the Intel HD Graphics to see if it does the same or it's just the nVIDIA GPU?

7. bodosko

bodosko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm on 388.31.
    The problem doesn't occur using Intel HD Graphics.
    But I noticed after I got back to nVidia GPU, the problem stopped. So it appears to be intermittent, I will try to reproduce it.

8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Try the latest 388.59 Driver = MSI GT73VR 7RF TITAN PRO Drivers

9. Charalampos Koundourakis

Charalampos Koundourakis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey'all! I've recently got myself a GT73EVR (after my last laptop tried to drink some tea) and I'm busy trying to get it up and running.

I'm finding this thread really useful but boy is it hard to navigate, the 900 pages or so and all that. But to everyone sharing all their tips thanks a billion! Hope to be able to return the favour in the future as I learn more about the platform.

So I had a few questions which I'll just throw out there, see if anyone knows anything.

1) Had one really big question which involves using a female to male 22 pin wire to connect an extra HDD in the empty area that an SLI card would go. Has anyone managed to install a bigger HDD there or is 1TB the limit in thickness?
    2) The other big one was about a SLI setup. From what I could see the only difference was the graphics board and the extra heatsinks. Has anyone installed an extra graphics card succesfully in a normally single GPU system?

Additional questions not relevant to the above but not big enough for full-blown posts:
    1) Does the GT73EVR have the ability to operate only on the integrated GPU? I thought I had read so but I might have been confused with the Leopard.
    2) How does one set up the user-defined FN function?
    3) Mostly curiosity: What does the line-in in audio do? Like, what would be the usual devices plugged into it?
    4) The third button (The Xcaster one) doesn't seem to work even though I've updated the software. That brings me to a follow-up, is it possible to change the functionality of those keys to something other?

Just to clarify all the above are purely theoretical [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The GT73EVR does not have SLI capability built into the EC. While the mainboard indeed is the MS 17-A1 mainboard, the exact same mainboard used with the "CM 238" chipset version GT73VR with the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 models, and the GT73VR SLI 1070 model, the EC firmware has a power cap of 330W for the GT73EVR model. If you notice there is no SLI version of the GT73EVR on MSI's website. Exceeding 330W power draw will forcibly throttle the CPU to 800 mhz even under single card use (like a modded GTX 1080+high CPU load). This restriction does not exist in the "CM238" version of the EC firmware (17A1EMS1.108), and the Hm175 version (EC .112) does work on the CM238 version (but then you get those extra restrictions), but I do NOT know what will happen to your taptop if you flash the 17A1EMS1.108 EC on your .112 EC HM175 chipset version.

I do not know if forcibly trying to make SLI work will make the second card initialize or whether you would get problems. The HM175 chipset is not made for SLI support, and I assume some adventurer could try to brute force experiment with it, to see what happens, but then you would need a bunch of things:

1) The SLI GPU heatsink and VRM heatsink. The single card heatsink can't be used, and I do not know if the single card's VRM heatsink (which is routed to the CPU exhaust fan) would work either, because the SLI heatsink position on the main card has a different heatpipe orientation. Good luck finding someone to sell you those.
    2) The second slave 1070 card, with the same PCI ID as the main card
    3) The 230W X 2 power adapter. It's possible the Eurocomm 780W PSU would work, or even the GT83VR's gigantic 330X2 brick would work, even though the EC imposes power restrictions.

Then you would have to flash the 17A1EMS1.108 EC firmware on it, and hope it boots with both cards enabled (if you tried using the .112 EC, your CPU would be cut down to 800 mhz as soon as both cards got a load, if it even initialized the slave card, as there are no HM175 chipset versions for SLI to begin with, even though the mainboard is otherwise identical).

No one here has even modded a single card CM238 version of the GT73VR 1070 into an SLI version, even though it would work perfectly, trying to find the PSU (besides the Eurocomm 780W version), and the two heatsinks, as well as the slave card itself (the heatsinks are the hardest) would make anyone give up, unless they had contacts who could source the SLI heatsinks and VRM sink for them.

Yes you can use the integrated GPU. You just press the GPU button (with SCM installed) and reboot. With the unlocked Bios, you can also switch to the iGPU in the Bios itself.
    User defined FN function is for auto launching programs. Probably most common use of this is to bind it to windows calculator or something actually useful (browse for calc.exe or whatever it's called).

You can install a 2-4 TB 2.5" HDD into the "SLI" card location with a few extra mounts to secure it, but you can *NOT* use two HDD"s at the same time. You would have to remove the existing HDD that sits under the SSD's, use an extension cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P6PDU4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UCLUF7KW7AYG
    Because the 2.5" HDD is too thick to fit in the existing space the old 1TB fit in (but it would fit in the "video card" space, with minor modifications, and then use that cable to attach the HDD to the connector via the extension.

Can't answer the other stuff.

Shehary likes this.