The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Senbei

Senbei Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Yes, the chirping CPU fan is a widespread issue.
    They have a little backlight bleeding at the bottom. But I would say, it's better than with most other displays of this kind and you won't notice it under normal usage.

2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  3. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well that's concerning! I would think backlight bleed and chirping is something they would omit for 3000 USD :p

4. Senbei

Senbei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's what I expected, when I bought mine. But today (2,5 months later) I can count three additional issues:
    - coil whine
    - loose display bezel
    - pulsing GPU fan

I wrote an E-Mail to the shop today, because the repair times at MSI Europe are at 3-4 weeks atm. I need the machine for work, so I cannot wait that long. I have to say I'm not very hopeful, that it helps something, but let's see, what they will write back.

5. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What controls the GPU throttle temp?

I've had a couple different versions of the GT73VR and my 6RE with October build date and .107 EC seemed to try and keep the GPU at 77/78c and my 7RF with November build date and .108 EC did the same thing.

However, my 6RF with August build date and .105 EC doesn't kick in the fans until 84c and tries to hold the GPU there. This obviously results in lower fan speeds/noise but could it possibly be worse performance?

Is it the vbios or EC that controls those things?

I'm hesitant to update the EC because this thing does run quiet and I have great CPU temps with no odd fan noises. I know there's some issues with people losing fan control and going to 5 temp points from 6 with the .107 EC.

6. spoonjaffa

spoonjaffa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Out of interest what component is causing coil whine? I've been reading and seen Alienware 17 r4 kabylake update has sorted the cpu high temps by better heatsink application. Maybe worth at swapping over? Just my current thoughts. The onsite warranty is looking quite attractive now. Sorry MSI. Not happy especially as my previous gaming laptops have been Alienware. For close to £3k I don't expect to have to pay for replacement fans or be without a working laptop for over a month!
    I'm awaiting a price for the replacement fans.

Edit: looks like Alienware support isn't the best going by several users reports of high cpu temps and return issues. Why can't we get an open laptop motherboard standard, build our own gaming laptops.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    DukeCLR likes this.
  7. trenktas

trenktas Newbie

Reputations:
    I got mine gt73 7re on sunday. So far didnt notice any problems and didnt see any backlight bleed :) but didnt stress it out much yet

hmscott likes this.
  8. Senbei

Senbei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't know, something on the motherboard. It comes from the area, where the T key is.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Coil-whine is caused by VRM/MOSFET.

hmscott and Atma like this.
  10. Shehary

Shehary Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have 6RF August build with .105 EC and agree that GPU fan doesn't kick in @82 that I remember, I updated the EC to .106 and same behavior as .105 latter updated to EC .107 and lost CPU one bar in advanced fan control option and but fan kicks in more quickly as compare to last 2 EC firmware, now on .108 and man I can tell you, last night was playing COD Infinity warfare and multiple time I have to check to sure that even GPU fan running or not (Auto Fans / sport mode), GPU temps below 70 and fans kick in more quickly when temps go above 70 and slow down instantly when temps lower 70, I don't know it's re paste or what but I m not seeing high temps on both CPU / GPU since I updated to .108 and also not using advance fan option, mostly auto fans and barely see the GPU touch 75 mostly stays under 70 also using nvidia driver released for 7RF....so may be it's drivers....i m not sure....

EC for sure does control fan speed according to temps, speed breaking points, at what temp what will be the speed and I think CPU / GPU sensors which monitor the temps and feed those temps to EC firmware so the fans kicks in when needed....

no company can check thousands of fans before installing them in laptop specially when no batch written on fans and no idea which production unit is making the faulty fans...hey hell I can't check all fans before putting them in laptop even if MSI pay me to do so.....

slight screen bleed is normal and said by MSI too something like "All MSI laptop has some level of light bleed"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    hmscott likes this.