The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Ben Moore

Ben Moore Newbie

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne OK i will try that shortly thanks for your reply.

When the black screen is on. If i remote desktop into the computer, the resolution is 1024 and intel is still the graphical processor being used (looking through device manager ect on phone, black screen on laptop itself)

I can get to bios if i press the GPU button whilst remote desktoping and press OK to reboost using 'intel graphics' instead of 'discrete graphics'

I can't be sure the GPU is dead it was just a poor assumption as i had tried DDU in safemode, reinstalling drivers ect. Drivers wont re-install as it doesn't detect an Nvidia GPU

To clarify, clearing CMOS with button, is that press whilst laptop is off for 45 seconds, or whilst on for 45S.

p.s Your previous advice worked perfectly in regards to the power limiting by the way, thank you for that as well.

EDIT:

Tried your above advice. Reset CMOS, made sure it resulted in reverting to default values.

Removed GPU to get it to boot to iGPU, changed the settings in bios to your advised settings. Re-installed GPU and still black screen no change.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:17 AM
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You said you applied liquid metal to the GPU.

Did you remove all of the liquid metal, all of the tape and insulation/protective layer (anything you applied, including nail polish or any other coating), cleaned everything around the GPU die fully with 91% or better alcohol, reapply regular basic thermal compound, and then, for good measure, give the MXM pins on the card and the slot itself, a good cleaning with "Deoxit D5"?

If you did all of this and then did a full cmos clear (that's holding down power button for 45 seconds, after the laptop is off, although it will usually come on again for a second or two anyway), then the Nvidia GPU is dead. I'm not sure how it died, though. They are pretty robust (the MSI 1070 has even been used in Clevos (although it requires a small heatsink mod), but the MSI 1080 just won't fit), so the only way it would die is from physical damage to something onboard, something being sheared off the PCB, static shock, or liquid metal getting on something. The only other failure I've ever seen was a chinese user putting in the GTX 1080 Ti "Extreme power limits" values into his MXM 1080, which destroyed the GPU part of the board and the GPU (blew up the VRM). The GPU was repaired but it still didn't work in the board.

Papusan likes this.
  3. Ben Moore

Ben Moore Newbie

Reputations:
    Cleaned with 100% alcohol around die and reapplied a normal thermal compound to it. As per initital post no lm ever squished out the sides or anything, nor did i physically touch the gpu myself, only cotton buds and a soft plastic scraper. So im really at a loss. It could have been static but i didnt feel anything. I didnt try to clean the slot itself but i did try and clean the male end of card. Pretty disappointed lol.

Theres one 1080 msi mxm with power plug on ebay @ 900aud. Pretty expensive mistake, i just cant understand how it happend. May have to bite the bullet as im out of ideas to test.

With the GPU inserted and bios set as you described. If it was on iGPU it does try to swap to dGPU on restart, so i beleive the motherboard slot itself is OK.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You set "PEG Root Port 0" from "Auto" to "Enabled" in system agent->peg port settings?

What sort of prep work did you do?
    What did you use to cover or insulate the SMD's around the GPU die?
    All it takes is a single conductive ball of doom to touch one of those and the card won't work (though it's not common for there to be a no post, I've seen people have artifacts, then the card works again when the SMDs' are cleaned, but a completely dead card...that I don't know :(

Papusan likes this.
  5. Ben Moore

Ben Moore Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately prep work went as far as the cleaning, i didnt insulatw around the die. However upon removing the cooler and inspecting there was 0 balling off the die :(

Out of ideas!