The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That seems fine, but is this on stock configuration and compound? You can try to clean up the fan and vent, and perhaps redo the thermal compound on CPU and GPU and replace thermal pads too.

Union Jack likes this.
  2. Shehary

Shehary Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In UK warranty is different than USA, if you open the laptop, warranty will be void, check with MSI EU customer support before hand.

Union Jack and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  3. Union Jack

Union Jack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you both.

Happily, I seem to have sorted it out. I also posted about this on the MSI forums, and someone there identified the issue. Looks like what was going on was my computer had been switched to Turbo in the DragonCentre so it was overclocking the CPUs all the time. I'm not entirely sure how it ended up on Turbo (maybe a shortcut key or something,) but anyway once I switched it over to Sport it's been a lot better. Fans are just quiet background noise most of the time, and temps are looking much better.

But I will look into the thermal compounds and pads, and the exact details of the warranty as both of you suggested, as it would be would be worth me knowing about those in the future.

Thanks again.

All the Best,

Union Jack.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Great, thank you for the updates.

Union Jack likes this.
  5. felix3650

felix3650 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys I'm debating between selling my GT73VR-6RF or changing the screen from 4K to a FHD one and keep it. What do you suggest?

6. gdmaddog

gdmaddog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been trying to sell mine on fleabay for a couple weeks now. Its like that scene from Star Wars when Luke whines after selling his land speeder "ever since the XP-38 came out they just aren't in demand..." No one is offering what the computer is actually worth. Except for one guy in Russia that said he'd pay me triple my asking price if I fedex it before payment o_O

7. AirTortoise

AirTortoise Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I’d suggest getting some more life out of it by swapping the screen. Completed sales that I’ve seen are pretty low, around $1000-$1200.

Seems not worth the hassle, I ended up going the opposite and switching out for the 4k screen on mine and passing it to my family for photoshop/LEGO games.

Bobbert9 likes this.
  8. Bobbert9

Bobbert9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I second that. Get a screen for just under $100 you may be surprised how nice it will still be. I have the HD 120mhz gsync screen, debated swapping it out for a 4k panel, and decided to keep my HD. The Gtx 1070 churns out high fps in games and the panel has great color and refresh rate, and look great with movies. I was afraid the 4k panel would hurt my fps gaming experience more than the pretty picture would make up for it. I may never know.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. AirTortoise

AirTortoise Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good choice, with newer games you have to turn down a lot of detail to keep the framerate acceptable with the 4k screen, which negates some of the positives of more pixels.

The 120hz panel that came with my GT73VR is probably my favorite that I've had. Good color, super responsive and no ghosting. I ended up transferring it to my 2019 GT75 since the OEM 144hz panel on that has pretty bad overdrive coronas

Bobbert9 likes this.
  10. felix3650

felix3650 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok then. I'll keep it and swap the screen. Next I'll put the 4K screen for sale, hoping anyone is interested. Also this is the last i7 generation (skylake) fully supporting windows 7.
    Thanks guys :)

PS: had a crazy idea. Can the GT63's per-key RGB keyboard be "transplanted" into our GT73VR? The size and keys look the same ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Bobbert9 likes this.