The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Fridgeboy

Fridgeboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow this is awesome, I may end up doing this rather than buying another laptop. CPU isn't an issue for the games I play but my nearly non overclockable 1070 is for some games. Yes please do make an upgrade thread!!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    These machines are still pretty awesome. For gaming alone they can still do the trick.

And I do believe we will be able to mod the machine to put an RTX2070 in there, somehow.

3. Fridgeboy

Reputations:
    Hmmm I can't find a difference on user.benchmarks between the 2070 and 2070 mobile. Is there no difference? As it stands the 1080 mobile is 25ish% better than the 1070 mobile and the 2070 is 60ish% better than the 1070.

Now for marketing, anything with an 80 on the end has always been way more expensive. Is there anyway to buy these parts from msi? would the 2070 need the same psu as the 1080?

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It depends, most likely they will ask you to send the system in for repair/replacement but you can try calling them to see if you can just buy the GPU card.

5. Fridgeboy

Reputations:
    Was there a cooling redesign to compensate for the 2070? Like I said I don't know much about the 20 series and I don't know if they make more heat than the 1080. It is around 35% more powerful than the 1080 so that could mean more heat

6. ryzeki

Reputations:
    The 2070 is not 35% more powrful. It is at best 10% more powerful. The 2080 is the one that should be 35% faster (hopefully).

This is, of course, comparing the proper full GPUs and not power limited/max Q models. Just like with desktop counterparts.

7. Fridgeboy

Reputations:
    Whoops I meant 25% more powerful and I was comparing the 2070 to the 1080 mobile, not desktop. The 1080 mobile maxQ are pretty weak for a 1080.

as it says here anyways. https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2070/m165564vs4029

I'm assuming MSI's 1080 is a mobile, not the max Q though as that is much weaker

8. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Yeah my MSI 1080 is not max q and it is every bit as powerful as the desktop part since I don't run it at stock, but at (1.95 to 2ghz core and extra mem speeds :) ) Sure, I am not 1:1 the desktop literally because I have still some power limits, but I am not really far behind yet.

Check my OC'd firestrike vs an OCd desktop GTX1080 for example.

I am getting very worried that the RTX2080 max Q will be very limited, to the point it will perform even slightly worse than my GTX1080 non max Q :oops:

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  9. Fridgeboy

Reputations:
    What are you purchasing with the 2080 maxQ?

Would you say it would be easier to buy and install a 1080 instead of the 2070? After all the mobile versions should be rarer and I would assume be worth more

10. ryzeki

Reputations:
    I am currently deciding between GT, GS and GE 75. Each one has its pro and cons. I am considering the GT because its the top tier max performance, the GS because its super slim, great design and portable even if sacrificing performance, and GE because these new series (for me at least haha) seems to offer the best of both, high performance yet slim.

I actually think the GE75 is great. I love the GS75 design and I love my GT73 so I love the Gt75 already haha. I was already "set" on the GS because the GS75 gave me what I was missing from the GS65, which was the numpad and bigger screen, but I am very strongly checking out the GE75 now.... seems like MSI has much better products than before.

Years ago I wouldn't consider anything other than the GT series.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.