The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. felix3650

felix3650 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After further research @Falkentyne is right. The LCD would receive a signal but the EDID won't be from those whitelisted so extra features won't get activated. Better stick to what works :)

What about Nahimic 3? Or is it exclusive to 8-series CPU GT75 variant?

2. SFL

SFL Newbie

Reputations:
    They require panels to be in whitelist? What a bummer.

raz8020, Vasudev and Falkentyne like this.
  3. exmeaguy

exmeaguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is there a way to remap the GPU button on the right side to an user defined shortcut to open a program? I know you can do this for xSplit button. I can't see a reason for changing the gpu to Intel.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone had issues with the latest steel series software locking up waking from sleep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. leo zefei

leo zefei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Several days after the repasing, this problem happens again.(I didnt remove the heat sinks again after the repasing)

I have tried Prime 95 as your instruction, and still find uneven temps between cores.(and core 0 and 2 are still the hotter cores) But they still falls to 55-65 degrees within 1-2 second after I stop the stress test.
    upload_2018-8-11_21-3-20.png
    What's the problem, is the heat sinks damaged?
    If it's cauesby the even heat sink surface, will liquid metal fix this problem? but liquid metal maybe tooooooo dangerous for mobile laptop.(yeah, GT73 is still a laptop)
    Or maybe try some thing like this?:
    Or should I repase it again?
    By the way, is there any way to know which part of the cpu is core0 and core2?(I remeber I saw some one post this diagram before since he got similar problem. But I cant find it now)

By the way, I found the following words, and my GT73 is an early producted one(around in 2016.06)
    Is the inborn flaw of 6820HK that causes this problem? And unfortunatly, I already modified my heat sink(see my earlier posts), I think I already lost the warranty
    upload_2018-8-11_21-15-36.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Convex heatsink and thermal pads above the CPU on the VRM's, making the problem even worse. (all CPU's are slightly convex).
    Did you use 0.5mm thermal pads on the VRM's and Chokes when you repasted ?

raz8020 and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. leo zefei

leo zefei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I didnt change the thermal pads on the VRM's, they the same ones.

9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Change them to 0.5mm thermal pads. The 1mm pads just make the problem worse. Shehary found out himself even when he sanded his heatsink flat. With 0.5mm pads and a sanded heatsink he kept even core temps over months (<3C). With 1mm pads, the delta was much worse.

If you want to fully fix the problem, you need to change to 0.5mm pads AND and sand the heatsink, then use a very durable thermal paste like Coolermaster Mastergel Maker Nano.

The problem is happening because of paste dryout/pumpout. Your paste is drying out or pumping out (displacement) on the two hotter cores (cores 0 and 2), which are the two cores at the top, closest to the VRM's. The VRM heat isn't causing that (they don't touch the copper block), but the lower heatsink pressure on that side, caused by the top of the heatsink having to also touch and cool the VRM's, is causing that (convex / warped heatsink). Think of what happens when you have two convex surfaces touching each other, and the TOP very very slightly raised up (by like half a mm) more than the bottom.

10. leo zefei

leo zefei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you, I will try.
    Maybe will finish it in several days.