The Official MSI GT73VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Shehary

Shehary Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can tell you and confirm you without testing a single game that GPU usage fluctuate and variate based on different games, while playing game GPU usage depend on many factors;

1. Screen Resolution (lower resolution will drop the usage)
    2. Frame Rate (limiting the frame rate will drop the usage, some games have FPS cap)
    3. Game Settings
    4. Game Stage Environment
    5. Game Optimization
    6. Updated Drivers

e.g, in simple words if you are playing a game, stage is open environment, GPU has to do alot of graphic rendering, GPU usage increase and possible will go up to 99% but if you playing an indoor stage, less graphic to render and GPU usage will drop to what ever it needs to handle the load.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Need-for-speed-payback-stuttering/td-p/6412103

Pedro69 and Ivan994 like this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Ivan994 it's really rude to ask people to do something like this when they already told you the answer.
    It's like, you're basically saying "sorry i dont believe you!! prove it!"
    That's exactly what you're saying. Like when you PM me to ask you to fix your gpu usage. can't do that.
    I already did enough work helping with your CPU core temps. Isn't that enough?

Shehary gave you all the advice you need. if your Nvidia D3D settings is NOT set to "Optimal Power" (make sure its adaptive or high performance, then reboot the laptop).

Phoenix, JeanLegi and Shehary like this.
  3. Ivan994

Ivan994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you mate for explanation and help! I do not have any shuttering in Nfs, for me is working great and I love game very much, I am car lover :D I just tried now games on monitor with 1440 p resolution and my usage is always in high 90s. I think that 1080p is easy for gtx 1080 :D

Shehary likes this.
  4. Ivan994

Ivan994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe, just we have same laptops and I want to compare results, nothing more. It is enought mate, you know a lot and always is good to get your opinion! If is that something that bothers you? I will stop and you do not need to worry about it.
    Once again, thank you :D

Shehary likes this.
  5. Shehary

Shehary Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Ivan994 GTX 1080 can handle 1080p resolution easily, 2K and 4K is another story.

@Falkentyne is just angry but not on you, I think on me, because I didn't reply his last 2 PM since last 2 weeks or may be had a bad weekend.....:D

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No i just dont like being PM'd for simple video card questions that can be more easily asked or answered in a forum, cuz im not a video card guy. Nothing to do with you. And I spent so much time helping people fix their laptops.....i'm tired. You know? I want the unlocked EC so I can draw full absolute power to the VRM's without the laptop shutting off but no one will release it. Of course I'm angry....

7. serdarevica

serdarevica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Mr!

Can i use Throttle Stop or i have to use some other software to undervolt?

https://screens.urimage.link/ThrottleStop_2018-03-13_21-47-02.png

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's not a bad tool to learn to use, either ThrottleStop or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. For newbies I like XTU, but TS is supported right here on NBR by unclewebb :

The ThrottleStop Guide
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-10694749

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)
    Version: 6.4.1.19 (Latest) Date: 1/18/2018
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

In XTU you just set the CPU Voltage Offset, say starting at -100mV, and test for stability right in XTU with the benchmark or stress test, and if you are unstable reduce undervolt by +10mV (to -90mV) and test again, or if you are stable at -100mV then increase by -10mV (to -110mV) and test again.

You can save the change in a Profile, name it and it will be used at the next boot. If you crash for any reason (even if it's not the undervolt at fault) XTU won't load a Profile again at boot until you go into XTU and select the Profile - or set up a new one with different settings - and Save it.

The range of undervolt is up to the individual CPU sample. On average most Skylake / Kabylake can reach at least -100mV and as far as -220mV has been reported. With some stable only as far as -50mV, so don't do any important work while testing and finding the stable undervolt.

If you don't want to spend a lot of time on it, and -100mV works fine for your CPU, then that is enough to reduce temps at 100% 4x cores by up to -10C, so that should be enough if you were previously in the 90C's at load to reduce to the 80C's, etc.

Have fun :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    serdarevica and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  9. Patrick Star

Patrick Star Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, giving updates:

1. Fresh install of windows 10 pro fix the activation issue
    2. 4Ghz on CPU and Full OC GPU (via dragon center) on stock paste is safe for "gaming" scenario, not sure about benchmark tho...
    3. -
    4. 16GB so far so good
    5. Win 10 + Ubuntu works just fine if you arent using RAID 0, but if you are using 4K model make sure to install grub-costumizer and change the resolution of linux bootloader to 4K
    Asking for more:
    1. Since I've clean install, I lose the ability to watch and control fan speed via dragon center, is there any other apps to control fan speed beside dragon center? (I hate dragon center lol)
    2. What's the "helpful" msi software I should install?

hmscott likes this.
  10. Shehary

Shehary Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1. You can use Silent Option
    2. Help Desk, Battery Calibration, SCM, True Color