***The Official MSI GT72 Dominator Pro (GTX-980M) Owner?s Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Britishwaldo

Britishwaldo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Temps will occasionally spike to 79 for one update cycle of hw monitor/TS/etc but generally hover around 72-75. GPU never exceeds 65. Edit: If i remember to turn on cooler boost, then my temps never exceed 60 for either gpu or cpu.

I havent had any issues since disabling speedshift and changing the battery boost settings to 90 and turning it off. I'm now leaning towards some of my issues being nvidias ****ty battery boost never really being turned off even if it's disabled and how msi reports it's hybrid power usage to the system. But for now i'm fine with how things are

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. tjg_marantz

tjg_marantz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking to buy a second power supply. I'm in Canada, anyone got any places they bought from? Price? Happy?

I'm thinking eBay is the best place. But I'm curious if anyone bought from Aliexpress. Anywhere else? Microbytes, Tiger direct, ncix. Newegg?

Anyways yeah.

3. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it can be useful to someone else, MSI French support finally replied with a link for Haswell Spectre fixed BIOS (UNTESTED BY ME):
    ONLY APPLIES TO GT72-2QE with 4th Gen processor (Haswell) as seen here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GT72-2QE-Dominator-Pro-4.html

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K5TMNB_XinhHgxdzUnm2oJxSruV1afR6
    MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE LATEST CURRENT BIOS E1781IMS.110 FIRST PRIOR TO FLASHING THE ONE I POSTED

I repeat: I didn't try this BIOS and shall not be responsible for any misuse or trouble related to this file.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Hey guys n gals,

So my gt72 shutdown randomly while I was playing the division today, and now refuses to boot. The last time this happened it was the gpu and removing it allowed me to at least boot using igpu.

This time however that doesn’t work, and pressing the power button doesn’t even cause fans to spin up or any of the leds to turn on.

Power adapter has its little green led lit, but the led that shows the ac adapter is plugged in isn’t on (although from memory it only turns on once system starts booting).

I’ve tried removing gpu, removing the ram I can get to, removing the hdd, ssds, resetting the ec controller but still no luck.

If anyone has any ideas or methods for testing to try to figure out what’s gone wrong please hit me up I’d rather not spend money on a new pc yet, especially with current gpu/ram prices and the proximity of gtx 2xxx

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Does it boot on battery?
    Some of those GT72s had bad solder around the AC jack, but it would still boot up on battery power.
    if it doesn't even boot up on battery, you need to RMA it or have someone like @Khenglish look at it for you (I don't know if he would fix it if he allowed you to send it to him).

6. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Nope doesn’t boot in any way shape or form no matter which components are plugged in or not (aka removing battery and trying ac alone doesn’t work, trying with stock ram alone doesn’t work, gpu removed in case that was blown again didn’t work)

It could be that the battery was drained pretty low with ac failing mid game and not being noticed and then shutting down due to no power. I’d never heard of the bad soldering issue, but would explain some issues I’ve had with it in the past.

Yeah I’m worried it needs rma’d but it’s now over 3 years old and out of warranty and when my gpu broke last year the quote was 3/4 the price of a new laptop to have it fixed and cost me like 200 bucks just to send it to them for analysis.

I’m gonna take it into a local store and see if they can test the ac adapter and see if they have any bright ideas.

Thanks for the ideas :)

hmscott likes this.
  7. Forenoon2887

Forenoon2887 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    tiliarou, Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nice share, thank you. In fact, it has been known (that you can do upgrade without penalty) for many many years and pretty much all manufacturers stopped enforcing such unreasonable rules on their systems.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  9. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you connect the AC/charger, does anything light up(there is one led in the front left that should light up), if said led/indicator doesn't light up, its either a dead AC/charger, or a broken DC-IN jack, replaced dozens of those, if you where local/same country I could do it.

If there is no light and the AC/charger is in working order, it can be tons of things, from easy, to pretty hard to even find what happened.

10. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Well I took it in for a diganosis, their response was unrepairable (they lacked the required tools to diganose properly/no clue what was wrong). Upon getting home with my laptop, i removed literally everything accessible without having to remove the motherboard to get to the backside, and upon replacing solely the m.2 drives, it booted up. Re added the gpu, extra ram, my hdd, and it continued to boot up just fine.

So absolutely no clue what was wrong with it, nor why it took being taken to a repair shop for a diagnostic check, and then coming home for it to fix it self. But whatever the problem it hasn't repeated itself so fingers crossed it last's until the next gen of nvidia cards come out and I replace it with a desktop lol.

In case anyone has any ideas as to what was going on, in the spoiler below i'll write some detailed notes as to my problem and the things i attempted to diagnose it myself.
    So in the middle of an incursion run in the Division my laptop shutdown and refused to boot. Considering I'd previously fried my gpu, i looked at my AC adapter to see if it's light would be extinguised when i plugged it in to my laptop (as this was what happened when my gpu previously died) and no the light stayed on.

Not knowing if it was some other component (i'd recently just upgraded my ram to 32GB) I decided to open it up, remove the gpu/extra ram/HDD/m.2 drives/and disconnected the battery. No luck, laptop continued to not boot and AC adapter light stayed on (with the exception of when the m.2 drives were removed (note i removed the m.2 4 slot board rather than the drives themselves).

Having tried all these, i followed steps to reset the EC just in case that had been causing issues, and again no luck.

So having removed the gpu I reapplied thermal paste to both gpu and cpu because why not it was about time, and took it in to get it diagnosed, presuming that either the battery.

A few days later i got a message saying the diagnostics had been completed and upon fetching my laptop was told they couldn't diagnose any issues with the tools they had on hand, and they hadn't been able to get it to boot either so to them it was considered as unrepairable. Fine with my honestly, i have insurance for my laptop and due to laptop prices would have covered a new one.

Being the pessimistic person i am, i decided that maybe the repair shop was just bad at their job or maybe they misunderstood the issue, so i opened it up, removed the hdd/m.2 board/extra ram. Upon plugging in the ac adapter, the ac adapter light went out (to be expected based on earlier troubleshooting steps. Upon replacing the m.2 board however my laptop booted up just fine. so i reconnected the hdd, re added the extra ram, and it booted up.

Now having had issues in the past with crashes/throttling/etc, i decided to check the blue screen logs, as well as the eventlogs to see if there had been any issues, along with my throttlestop logs to see if there had been a spike in temp/power just before the shutdown. According to all the logs I have the laptop never had an issue, never crashed, never had any issues, and then just booted up as per normal 3 days later.

TL;DR
    • checked if AC adapter light went out when plugging into laptop - No
    • checked if laptop booted with ac adapter plugged in and battery connected - No
    • checked if laptop booted with ac adapter and battery connected but hdd/extra ram/m.2 board/gpu removed - No (ac adapter light went out upon plugging in)
    • Same as above but with m.2 board in - No
    • Repasted - No (you never know lol)
    • Took it in for repair - Told unrepairable and didnt boot for them etiher
    • Removed hdd/extra ram/m.2 board - Booted up first try
    • Reconnected everything - booted up just fine and has continued to work so far
    • Checked logs for any glaring issues/errors/warnings - Nothing out of the ordinary and no indication of temp spikes/etc
    • Laptop been working fine ever since, just wish i knew what had caused the issue (probably a bad dc jack is my guess but haven't noticed any issues with system reporting charging/plugged in status/etc)

tiliarou and hmscott like this.
  11. Naweed R.

Naweed R. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, its been a long time since i've posted here.
    As we know, Microsoft loves forcing some of these windows updates that happens to break the functionality of the switchable GPU.
    I switched to the iGPU after this major update (as i had to get some productive work done without an AC adapter) but now, i cannot switch back to the Nvidia GPU. I need to do some intensive renders but yeah, my GPU switch key just gives me an error. I even tried looking into the BIOS and theres nothing for manually switching the GPU there. I wish we would be able to do it at least in the BIOS without having to rely on SCM. Anyone knows how i can get my dGPU back up?