***The Official MSI GT72 Dominator Pro (GTX-980M) Owner?s Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, it came from an India engineering student who spoke to an MSI Engineer on the phone.

It explains EXACTLY why my laptop just 'shuts off' in prime95 FMA3 small FFT at a certain voltage + temp threshold and why it shuts off **INSTANTLY** right away (like 0.001 ms) if the starting voltage is too high (the EC thinks that it will exceed 100C with that type of current so doesn't even allow it).

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did he call MSI headquarter directly? Because that's where the real MSI engineers work at, under a reasonable assumption, right? :)

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Long story. But he talked to someone at MSI India who didn't know what (the caller) was talking about then he referred him by phone to another engineer, who didn't have access to the unlocked EC but knew some specifics about NOS and EC trip and throttling.

tl;dr: I'm trying to attain the Unlocked EC. But I guess you already know this. and I'm not doing a good job at it :(

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    No worries, you did an excellent job helping many users here. We do what we can do, right? :D

5. Britishwaldo

Britishwaldo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just an update, disabling speedstep solved all my issues. Speedstep, normally should only underclock when idle or under low load, but for some reason my laptop was underclocking whenever cpu load would drop even if you're currently playing a game like overwatch. I'll update again if i notice throttling anymore, but so far disabling speedstep has solved my issue

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    That's awesome, seems like some users had the same issue as you did and the solution is the same.

7. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Interesting to hear, as all the research I did never turned up anything in regards to speedstep other than the stock "that should only be working when it's idle so that isn't the issue" reply.

Update 3: Yup everything's fine now after re disabling speedstep, back to 3.0GHz OC. I wouldn't have minded as much if turbo was working but its not so 2.5GHz can really cause system lag if i'm trying to play a game, listen to a stream etc. i'll leave the stuff I previously wrote below just for prosperity.

TL;DR - I disabled speedstep, OC stopped working, issue was throttlestop having a day off not disabling speedstep causing issues. No stutters with -0.81mV offset so far.

And now ever since disabling speedstep, my laptop will freeze and audio will stutter, requiring a hard shutdown and reboot while i'm playing overwatch.

On top of which, since disabling speedstep throttlestop OC will no longer work. Where before it would sit at 3GHz just fine with a -0.80mV offset. Now it will just sit at 2.5GHz.

I'm essentially a novice when it comes to the nitty gritty of oc and all the different systems oems etc have put in place. So if any of you guys can answer the following questions that'd be great
    Is the lack of OC via throttlestop due to disabling speedstep?
    Is the lack of turbo boost hinting at a bigger issue with my system? (as far as i'm aware i've never gotten speeds higher than 2.5GHz without forcing an OC via either throttlestop or XTU)
    Is the fact that I now cannot push my cpu to 3.0GHz making my voltage offset unstable?

I'm running an i7-4710HQ, gtx 980m 8GB, windows 10.

Update: Tried re-enabling speedstep to see if for some bizarre reason it was denying the OC, but cpu currently locked at 2.5GHz with it on or off, Not quite sure what's happened because up to last night everything was fine with the OC :/

Update 2: So it appears throttlestop was hung up somewhere, despite restarts of pc/throttlestop cpu was locking istelf at 2.5GHz, swapping quickly between the 4 available profiles and then stopping at the one set for the OC somehow rejigged things and cpu is now OC'd again. I'll update again once i've redisabled speedstep and see if the OC comes back with the same trick. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth trying to make this thing last and not just replace it, but being so close to the 2xxx series makes me want to power through

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  8. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Okay new update, disabling speedstep definitely reduced the number of hiccups where my fps drops to 30 from over 200, quicker to recover now as well than before, but hasn't seemed to completely solve the issue :(

okay i feel silly, it looks like most of the fps drops in the past were due to speedstep throttling the cpu for no reason, but i forgot that nvidia geforce experience recently updated and of course it re-enabled battery boost, and because of the way msi handles power (even if it doesnt do anything, it clearly is telling the system it's using battery power) it was limiting fps to 30 because that makes sense....

update: disabling speedstep, and disabling battery boost in geforce experience = fps drops to 90 instead of 30, meaning annoying but doesnt impact gameplay.

Update2: Just in case this information helps anyone in the future, stuttering down to 90 happens whenever gpu load goes over 50%, not sure why but consistently happening.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  9. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Speedstep and speedshift...should we use both or only speedshift?

10. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    That I wouldn't know, speedshift was introduced with 6th gen cpu's, i'm using a 4th gen.

But as far as I'm aware, speedshift replaces speed step and changes it from being a software solution to a hardware solution for essentially the same thing.

11. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After I did a clean install and only installed XTU and none of the MSI programs my i7-4720HQ holds 3.6Ghz for hours playing BF1.

Have you already checked your temps under load?

On XTU my CPU has two "free" bins that you can use to "OC", over that, you need to put the version 1 micro-code and use TS, I tried it just for giggles and its soooo unstable, I didn't spend much time doing so, but I managed to got near 850 points in Cinebench R15(from 660-680 stock), but it crashed while gaming, and no giving it +20mV didn't make it any more stable, so I reverted back.

hmscott likes this.