***The Official MSI GT72 Dominator Pro (GTX-980M) Owner?s Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Britishwaldo

Britishwaldo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its because, as far as i'm aware (i am a scrub when it comes to this stuff so my understanding could be off), it's not speedstep causing the issue. My cpu is saying it's hitting temp throttling limits (even though it will be sitting at 50c) and then underclocking to 0.8GHz, at which point it takes 1-2 minutes to get back up to 2.5GHz, and after that happens even once turbo boost doesnt exist for my system.

When I have throttlestop open and active, it takes maybe 1 second for cpu to get back up to 2.9GHz.

And thanks for the advice guys, I'll have to find a fresh windows install and just reinstall the entire system, just hope i can remember what programs i actually use and what settings i've changed over time to fit my preferences.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    OEM’s can put in more ****y who triggers throttling. Some insights... How and why Dell cripple the performance

And not only Dell has and use own ways to cripple performance

3. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Ah, so basically msi is using their own numbers for prochot rather than hardware specifications?

4. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I dont have any problem on the exact same laptop model, so its either software(OS, programs), or hardware.

I would do at least a repaste and see how it behaves.

5. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Yeah will do, thanks for your help senso :)

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Most OEM’s has their own way to cripple performance. Remember MSI also enjoy screw the buyers with Battery Boost. @Falkentyne can tell you more:D

Falkentyne likes this.
  7. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure they have, and its getting to the point of being stupid that you buy unlocked CPU's and high end GPU's that cant even hold stock clocks for more than the time it takes to complete the 3dMark benchmarks.....

But the GT72 seems to be pretty unaffected by all that, locked CPU with 45 Watts TDP and a 100Watts 980m, powered by a 230Watts charger, there is plenty of power on it to not need to drain the battery, never seen mine doing so.

tiliarou likes this.
  8. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Have to say I've never noticed any drain on my battery when the AC adaptor is plugged in

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Someone told me that NOS (battery boost) is due to government regulations (laws) regarding power and SAR (battery usage). Trying to find out more. Apparently a MSI engineer said this. Something to do with Zener diodes or something too.

10. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like PR bulls*** to avoid replying technically to the question...
    Moreover, which laws are we talking about since MSI sells in dozens of countries ?

11. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Might not be as much BS as you think.
    Because *some* laptops are shipping to some regions with NOS disabled, which causes throttling (due to how the EC is programmed; a similar non-NOS issue causes the 16L13 to be limited to 91W from the CPU). You throttle if you reach the power draw point where NOS should start draining the battery--this applies to ALL MSI laptops (Except 16L13) going back to the GT70! Including GT73VR and GT75VR.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...u-throttling-to-800mhz-and-stuttering.813644/

12. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did the statement come from MSI directly to you? And it was never made official right?

Falkentyne likes this.