***The Official MSI GT72 Dominator Pro (GTX-980M) Owner?s Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Alaharon123

Alaharon123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Then I guess I should specify that I want to keep my odd. I know that there are ways of using the empty ssd slots for this, but i don't which is best

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is an adapter that plugs into the m.2 SATA and gives you a normal SATA connector, and there are power splitters for the laptop SATA+power connector.

You connect all that up and end up with a rats nest and a lot of wires under there.

Watch this:

I considered designing a m.2 to FPC adapter for my GT72, that would allow me to use an identical connector as the original hdd that goes from sata to small thin flex cable, but I have lots of free space on my 1TB drive still, and I'm running 512GB of SSD, so lots of space for now.

3. Alaharon123

Alaharon123 Newbie

Reputations:
    In that video he says not to do it the way he did and to use a different part and the way he does do it he shows detailed until it gets complicated and then doesn't show the complicated part. Not a very helpful video. And the alternative part he links to seems to require cutting as well (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=251389.0). Are there any other alternatives?

4. senso

Reputations:
    It requires notching a bit of the plastic connector, there is nothing complicated in plugging all that up, just unplug the SATA cable from your current HDD, plug the adapter into the SATA cable from the mobo, connect the original HDD using the now separated SATA and power cables, use the other cable to power the second HDD, use the m.2 adapter to get the second SATA data cable, and its done, just a lot of wires, I would grab an USB enclosure for the ODD and use an ODD HDD caddy, much cleaner and no wire salad.

This adapter skips half the wiring:
    http://eshop.sintech.cn/sata-ssd-to-m2-ngff-adapter-card-with-power-for-msi-gt72s-p-1132.html

It provides data and power from the m.2 adapter, if there is any need to cut anything, its to trim the big SATA connectors, dont even need to cut, grab a file and file them down a bit.

MiSJAH likes this.
  5. Britishwaldo

Britishwaldo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

The two USB ports on the right hand side on my gt72 are completely dead (no devices charge when plugged in, doesnt recognise usb devices, etc). i was wondering if anyone's had this issue, or whether i've somehow buggered them up.

6. senso

Reputations:
    They are on a separated board and connect to the mobo with a flex cable.

Check the ports visually and check that no pins inside are bent or touching anything.

hmscott and Britishwaldo like this.
  7. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Thanks alot senso, it appears that when i sent in my gt72 to get the gpu replaced by msi they disconnected the flexcable and didnt secure it back into place when they reconnected it. All usb ports working again :D

hmscott likes this.
  8. cisco kidd

cisco kidd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Been off this forum for a while what was your GT72 upgraded to and what was cost? I had a GT72 2Qe w 980m 4gb, but did the upgrade program to GT73VR 7RE w 1070. I could have made do with the Gt72 I had over the last 12 mths I have had the GT73

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Hey cisco kidd,

I didn't get my gt72 upgraded, it was just that my 980m 8GB burnt itself out and so I had to get it replaced, ended up buying a replacement one from woodzstock here on NBR. MSI basically wanted me to pay like 1500 for a replacement gpu + installation.

Edit: Just wanted to say my 980m 8gb is still going strong, not been a single game so far that it can't handle, and thank god throttlestop exists cos my cpu would throttle randomly down to 0.8GHz and take 2-3 minutes to get back to 2.5GHz

10. senso

Reputations:
    What are your temps?

I have been playing BF1 for hours and my GT72 2QE stays at 3.4Ghz all the time, at 65-67ºC, same for my 980m, running at around 1200-1210Mhz, no throttle what so ever.

And yes, so far, still play everything at high/ultra settings, just drop the AA a notch down and its a trooper.

11. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    When I play games they'll max out at ~73c, i think, keep in mind this is with my CPU running at 3.0GHz stable via throttlestop.

Edit4: Should probably add that nowadays the only game I really put any time into is overwatch, which I leave at lowest of low settings and a constant 100fps.

Edit: CPU at idle sits around 45-47c, during video watching/web browsing it will sit around 48-55c, and according to XTU (just used for tracking purposes) the cpu will trigger TDP without any rise in temps.

Edit2: While XTU was showing cpu hitting TDP, throttlestop doesn't show this and yet there are times where the cpu will once again slow down to 0.8-1.2GHz, but throttlestop manages to get the cpu back up to 3.0GHz almost immediately making the issue barely noticeable anymore.

However my CPU will throttle for no reason even when there's nothing open on my laptop. It would drop down to 0.8-1.2GHz and then max out at 2.5GHz, and once my cpu throttles down to that speed, even once, turbo boost is disabled and it won't go any higher than 2.5GHz. Hence the use of throttlestop.

My presumption is that I need to open it up and check the thermal paste and re apply.

Any help or advice that you guys can offer would be great! As it stands throttlestop has negated the throttling issue to where if i'm gaming my fps will drop and then return to normal within less than a second so it's no longer impacting me so much.

Edit3: This is while idle, with just spotify and chrome open (7 tabs, one is a paused video)[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  12. senso

Reputations:
    Are running the latest BIOS and EC?

What settings on Dragon Gaming Center(if you have it installed)?

Given the 2.9Ghz clock on such low demand tasks that smells like what happened to me, Dragon Gaming, SCM and windows power management all fighting for power settings, my laptop won't idle at lower than 1.7Ghz, format, reset NVRAM, win10 pro clean install, only installed XTU, no more using 20 programs to set/config and it will downclock to 800Mhz doing light tasks like it should.

13. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    I believe so, as the first thing I did when I got tired of the issue was to update the bios and EC (using the ones listed on the msi website for the gt72 2qe 4th gen intel)

EC version is 1781EMS1 Ver5.05, 16/09/2014
    Bios version: E1781IMS.10D, 15/09/2014

Edit2: So it appears that despite having updated my BIOS and EC, that maybe they didnt actually take effect. Date of release for the BIOS and EC on the msi support site are listed as 2015 release. I'll back up my data and then try reinstalling the updates.

I do have DGC installed yes. Power plan is high performance, shift mode is sport.

The 2.9GHz on low demand tasks is because throttlestop is forcing the CPU to sit at 2.9GHz, because without it the cpu throttles to 0.8GHz and then takes 1-2 minutes to get back up to speed, which during normal tasks isn't that bad but during gaming is disastrous (fps drops, input lag, etc)

Edit: nvm, forgot about msi help desk.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  14. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Uncheck the BD PROCHOT box in ThrottleStop.

15. Britishwaldo

Reputations:
    Hmm is there a reason BD PROCHOT would be affecting things? As far as I understood it, it only comes into effect when either the cpu or gpu starts to reach the near max temp.

16. senso

Reputations:
    Minutes?

Thats all those stupid programs doing crap.

Speedstep(operates in the mili-second realm), I would uninstall all the MSI crap and reset the NVRAM.