***The Official MSI GT72 Dominator Pro (GTX-980M) Owner?s Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Oct 7, 2014.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Owntec, CS:GO is a CPU intensive game, and often causes CPUs to overheat/thermally throttle, but it doesn't usually end in a CPU related crash.

Can you install hwinfo65, start with Sensors only checked, and enable logging of temps? That will let you see the progression of temperature readings throughout the gaming, rather than read it after exiting - CPU temps drop quickly.

Run CS:GO for a good period of time, but exit before crashing so you can stop the log and read the file with Excel (download a trial if needed), so you can look at the temps as they increase - also look for thermal throttling to kick in.

Are you using XTU to tune your CPU settings, or is it stock?

You shouldn't be getting OS crashes, but the game might exit, what exactly are you seeing?

There is a trick to reduce the number of cores, actually stop using Hyper-threaded cores, and that has helped people with over heating. Laptops don't usually have any CPU tweaking in their BIOS, like disabling Hyper-threading, but you can do it from the task manager in Windows.

If you are starting CS:GO from Steam, then use task manager details tab to disable the odd core's for Steam processes (do all of them for now) using right click Affinity over process name:

Steam task manager affinity disable odd cores.JPG

When you have done all the Steam processes, then start CS:GO, it should run pretty close to the same performance, but generate less heat.

If none of this works, and temps aren't high, you should work with MSI and see if they have a solution, or RMA to replace the CPU/motherboard.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

2. hmscott

Reputations:
    Guys, you are over thinking this. Always get the best GPU, never mind the Nvidia gobbledgook they feed us, G-sync is nice, but I don't have it and dual 980m's in SLI powers through the slow FPS need for G-sync, and I don't see any tearing on my laptop screen.

In a single instance where you see tearing, tune it out via reducing eye candy or ignore it, it's not worth all the fretting over. It happens, it's gone, game on.

If you want to get a 980m now without G-sync, then do it, and push any regrets out of your head later. If you can't or don't want to learn how to do that, then continue waiting, I am sure another Nvidia innovation will be announced that isn't in the G-sync version of the 980m, and you can wait for that too.

What do you want to do, wait, or game? If game, then get the 980m as it will keep fps higher than the 970m. Tune the eye candy to keep the fps up later. A little tuning effort and you won't need G-sync.

Get the laptop, start gaming, have fun :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    mzg likes this.
  3. Owntec

Owntec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I usually use hwinfo64 to watch the temps both cpu and gpu, when the gaming, on csgo go, max temps it got after 1/2 hours, its about 63/64 for cpu and 64 for gpu, as i said early.

In the first model i got, i had crashs on csgo with the cpu full stock or with undervolt, the undervolt was stable with everything i throw at it, and would crash csgo simply as being stock. i even unistalled all programs that could overclock either the gpu or the cpu, and it would keep happening. i rma the first unit to the seller, and got a replacement cause it was in the 1 month return policy. and after a while, 2 weeks or so the new unit start behaving the same with everything on stock, with windows 10 fresh install. Diggin around, i found out the problem could not be only afecting me "https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3hvov4/i7_5700_hq_problems_with_dota_2/" i tried to talk with msi support but all i got to do was to fresh instal windows 10 again, and update drives/bios/ec that i already did, like with the unit before this one.

im using a external monitor 144hz over displayport, every other game works fine, windows works fine. when the pc crashs, everything stops, teamspeaks stocks, the screen got freeze, and pc simply restarts, 19/20 times i got no crash report or what so ever, in event viewer it only shows, pc have been restarted without proper shutdown.

4. nightingale

nightingale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While this argument is fine, why not get g-sync when you have the option to? the 970m and 980m dont have that much of a performance jump, if a 970m cannot play the game, its not like the 980m will magically make the game suddenly much more playable. I would say if you are going to keep the laptop in the long run, get the g-sync laptop and then upgrade the 970m with the next latest and greatest msi upgrade kit like the 1080m or something.

I do not see why people keep recommending the 980m without g-sync. It makes no sense to pay for it granted, the gpu is better, but the majority of it is outdated, i mean, it doesnt even support USB 3.1 if its the old non-gsync model for crying out loud.

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    There aren't even USB 3.1 peripherals or devices that can run that fast, except for expensive RAID arrays, and you are complaining that you aren't getting it?

G-sync is just another problem to deal with when updating drivers and OS's, BIOS's:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-for-the-msi-rep.761676/page-93#post-10086967

Just another thing to deal with that keeps you from gaming, more useless crap to deal with.

The 970m is slower than the 980m, different enough even before OC'ing to make a difference in performance at the edge. About 10-25fps difference in games... that's a lot :)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M and 970M

GTX 980m VS GTX 970m - Collection of PC GAMES of 2013/14 benchmarks - ULTRA SETTINGS

You are suggesting buying a laptop with a GPU you know you are going to dump/upgrade as soon as you can - costing $750 to upgrade - a huge added cost, just so you can have G-sync - which is of marginal use in limited circumstances?

No offense, but it just seems a bit too OCD, even for me :)

BTW, there is likely no supported upgrade from 970m to 980m, so you are stuck with that 970m for a year until Pascal comes out. While new games keep getting released, that the 980m could have run at decent fps at Ultra settings, while the 970m will require dropping some eye candy to keep the fps up.

Wait, spend more, lose access to your laptop while the GPU is upgraded. Lots of gaming time lost, time you can't get back.

Do you really think that you are going to experience that much tearing in games at 1080p on a 980m? I don't think you will.

Have you experienced that much tearing in games in general over your gaming career that you must insist on G-sync to keep it from ever happening again?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    nightingale likes this.
  6. charz

charz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    looks like I'll go with the G-sync and 970m option. not for the sake of G-sync but for the IPS and price (only 1300 usd). and as the folks said, I'll be able to upgrade the GPU when there is a real need - such as trying out VR systems once they are mainstream.

NVDA, for once, did a mistake and made the 970m quite powerful for it's price tag, so I'll take advantage of that mistake for now.

still, I cant believe msi/nvidia have left those who put their hard earned money on none-gsync gt72's in the dark without any hope of activating the feature. lets hope that changes.

nightingale and hmscott like this.
  7. nightingale

Reputations:
    I am not complaining, or trying to counter your argument, but i am saying that since you are paying money why not get the best tech available? we all know these laptops are basically "investment" pieces for most people as not everyone drops multiple G's on laptops frequently, therefore having bought a laptop with future support for stuff like 3.1 when it becomes more mainstream, as well as having G sync is obviously not a bad idea.

And please, enlighten me how you lose "so much time" in upgrading the gpu, from what i saw in the MSI video, it basically took the guy less than 30 minutes to take it apart and put the new one in with everything set and proper. The 970m is perfectly fine for gaming in the current day, and for the future as much as the 980m is good. People still use the 700 series and 800 series for gaming, i am sure the 970m will be absolutely fine.

But in the end as always, just depends on the use case for the individual, always going to have some ups and downs to the laptops

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    nightingale, did you take note of the warning at 1:05?

If you take on the upgrade yourself, and something goes wrong, you are not covered under warranty.

MSI GT72 Dominator (Pro) GTX 900M series MXM graphics upgrade

"Step 1: Grab your GT72 Introductory disclaimer: This guide is provided for experienced technicians. Do not try if unsure. In case you damage your GT72 trying to perform the upgrade, your system warranty will be void."
    http://event.msi.com/gt72mxm/Born-to-Upgrade-how-to.pdf

If you send your laptop in to get the upgrade done, it will take a week round trip, maybe 2 depending on the timing of your upgrade with normal work loads and upgrade requests.

You can call/email and ask MSI for an accurate estimate for their time vs your time. They usually can quote the work estimate for common tasks. Just like a car repair.

I have a lot of experience doing this kind of work, and I would send in my GT80 for the 2x GPU upgrade. I would like to keep my warranty intact and have nothing to prove to myself or others.

If there is a problem with the replacement GPU's, or something else goes wrong while doing the upgrade, at least if it happens in their hands, while at MSI, they have the resources to swap parts and get it working quickly.

"The 970m is perfectly fine for gaming in the current day, and for the future as much as the 980m is good. People still use the 700 series and 800 series for gaming, i am sure the 970m will be absolutely fine."

What are you saying, don't bother upgrading to the 980m because people with slower GPU's are happy running their old GPU's?

Why in the world would someone that can afford a new laptop not get the best GPU that laptop has to offer? If you are short $500, save up for a few weeks and get it. You have to live with that laptop for years, what's a few weeks wait to save up?

I do understand the limits of budget, and even when you have enough $, the joy of taking it slow and enjoying the journey.

I bought a G750JW, then sold that and got a G750JX, and then sold that and got a G750JH... they weren't all available at the same time like the 980m is today. If the JH with the 780m were available when the JW was shipped, I would have gotten the JH from the start.

It was nice getting to know each model individually, and then upgrading to the next one. Rather than wait for the 780m to ship, I went ahead and gamed for 6 months on the 765m/770m. Each upgrade was awesome :)

The 980m is a lot faster than the 970m, and Pascal is a long way away, why not get the 980m now, and upgrade later?

9. nightingale

Reputations:
    I mean, taking the laptop apart carefully and adhering 100% to that video should be fine for the most part, as long as you dont damage anything your warranty is still intact.
    The 970m debate, i am saying that the majority of gamers out there are still using even desktop 680's which the 970m is on point with, so in consideration of the wider population of gamers, the 970m is more than enough for games to be played at comfortable framerates and levels of eyecandy.
    What we are discussing here though, is that the added "ease of life" components, such as g-sync and the usb 3.1 among others, that will no doubt become more useful in the future. From your perspective, the g-sync 980m would be the best choice.

However, since the 980m equipped model is now in a way outdated, it is better to spend the money on the latest model with a lesser gpu to ensure the future-ready aspect of the laptop. The 1080m with g-sync will be a great experience. Moreso than the tn panel and 1080m.

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    nightingale, I didn't take the time to look at the models, but generally the lower level GPU models have matching lower level CPU's.

I would want the best CPU, and the best GPU, and not be bothered much about the rest.

DDR4 isn't any faster, my Broadwell DDR3L 2133mhz scales the same as the DDR4 results.

The USB 3.1 / TB3 are promises for future use, not of interest.

Gsync is a bunch of baloney for a 980m with a 1080p panel.

If I were buying now, and that was my choice, I would ask for a price match discount - I would find one - and save some $. Use the "it's obsolete" model thing to get a better price.

IDK how quickly product updates are getting into the channel and how easy it will be to get a new 980m model, but I would wait for that over getting the 970m now - if that was the only choice.

For me the Broadwell with DDR3, 4x M.2 SATA III, and 2x 980m was perfect, and the upgrades weren't of interest to me.

Who knows what the driver problems / OS issues are going to be with a new motherboard chipset, CPU, DDR4, IO, etc.

I would rather take the mature product and have a nice stable gaming system, than go through new Windows 10 problems + all new hardware / drivers bug chasing process to stable operation.

It's all in what you are looking for, I have already done plenty of the new OS/hardware time wasting.

I decided I wanted to game instead :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015