The Official MSI GT70-2OD Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbeau88

mbeau88 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a question... I've looked all over the internet for the answer but half of the people say yes and the other half no...

Can I use the mini DP 1.2 port to power two 1080p displays? I don't care about refresh rate. Also, can I do that and add HDMI for three total displays?

I ask because I can't stand VGA and want it all to be through the nvidia gpu.

Thanks!

2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Some kind of hub/repeater should work. If you use a "splitter," you might not be able to achieve 1080p, but a hub that is designed to amplify the video signal should work - although I don't know about any that tout HDMI + mDP on one device.

3. EchoWars

EchoWars Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Most DP monitors will have a DP-in and a DP-out. DP 1.2 should be sufficient for 1080P on two monitors. Whether the video card can deal with four digital displays or not (2 x DP + 1 HDMI + built-in laptop monitor) is a different question. I'd be dragging my laptop to a local Microcenter and find a helpful salesman. :)

4. Cam909

Cam909 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

I've currently got an MSI 2QD and I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card, currently I've got an Nvidia GTX 970 3GB card in there but looking to upgrade to a Nvidia GTX 980 8GB Card - can someone advise me if it is just a simple case of plugging the new card in and downloading the official Nvidia drivers and it working straight away or is there any mods to the drivers that I need to be aware of?

If someone could let me know as soon as possible that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Cam

5. CROSSFIRE_GTI

CROSSFIRE_GTI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anybody knows if the new NVidia gpus 1080m-1070m are going to be compatible with oure GT70 20D MSI laptop?

6. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Probably nothing definitive here until someone has one to test. Have you tried reaching out to MSI support? Not sure whether they can confirm yet or not either, but it's worth a quick phone call or email.

7. rcghalohell

rcghalohell Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I honestly think that if we are upgrading 2ODs to 1080s, we would need a better cpu to support it. Bottleneck reasons

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

8. rcghalohell

Reputations:
    So has anyone been able to run gears of War? Or is it blocking our laptops for hardware reasons? I saw a review saying it won't run without minimum specs

9. rcghalohell

Reputations:
    Problem. Tried updating 780m to latest driver today which is 368.22 so I could play forza 6 apex. And I got these messages:

"the nvidia graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows.
    This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"

I recently upgraded my 8.1 partition to 10 earlier today also.

10. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nah, even a 4700MQ is more than enough to give you excellent performance. Sure your framerate won't be the max possible compared to having a 4.5ghz skylake CPU, but you won't be hindered as if having a low end AMD CPU.

It's still a while before a 4th gen core i7 actually bottlenecks a game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.