*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Apr 3, 2018.

1. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question and this might seem like a possible dumb one...but my USB ports (on both sides) never power down completely when I shut off my laptop. I have a cooling pad plugged into the USB port and on all my other laptops, when it shuts down so will the lappy coolers or whatever else i have plugged in. But i noticed on my GT63, my cooling pad fans are still spinning after it shuts down completely. I know sometimes ONE USB port stays active for possible charging external devices, etc if you want, but ALL my ports are like this. I tried all the ports with the cooling pad and even a RGB mouse pad and they never go off when laptop is completely shut down?? I looked in the BIOS for any settings for this and it is extremely limited on options in the BIOS. Is everyone else's USB ports like this as well? Is there anything I am overlooking regarding this to get them to power down when i shutdown my lappy?

Thanks!

2. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey captaincranium :) , this is normal behavior. If you unplug your AC adapter, the USB ports will no longer deliver power to externally connected devices. It is not advised to leave your laptop plugged in (AC) for extended periods of time when not in use anyway. I believe this is indeed a configurable feature in an unlocked BIOS (as I recall noticing it when navigating the various menus). To unlock your BIOS, you can use the key combo CTRL + SHIFT (Right side of keyboard) & ALT + F2 (Left side of keyboard).

I hope this helps. Caution is advised when making changes in the (advanced) BIOS if you are not farmiliar with the many configurable options and the associated implications.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

captaincranium likes this.
  3. captaincranium

Reputations:
    T
    Thanks @Pureownuge69 :D....that is what I thought. I figured I would have to go into the unlocked BIOS to possibly change that but I wanted to ask before i started to dig around in there... Will post if I had found the setting in the unlocked BIOS. Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Pureownuge69 likes this.
  4. captaincranium

Reputations:
    One other question....the lower cover "mod" by HIDEvolution where the two holes are cut in the bottom under the GPU and CPU...has anyone truly been able to verify if it made a difference in temps that much (how much?) and if it affected the air flow to the rest of the computer in a negative way and possibly raised the temps in the other areas? Very interested in this modded under cover but if it only makes a few degrees temp difference and could negatively affect other areas for air flow then it doesn't really seem worth it. Anyone that has this or has had it in the past can you comment with actual temp stats or tests?

Thank you!

5. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Although I have not done such a mod on my GT63 8RG, I have done it on a few other laptops in the past (Clevo P150EM and P960RD). It most certainly affects airflow characteristics inside the chassis. CPU and GPU temperatures will decline under load (5 - 10 degree Celsius) depending on how choked for air fans were previously, but other components that are not making direct contact with the heatsink will increase in temperature. By other components, I am referring to the PCH, volatile memory (RAM) and secondary storage (i.e. PCIE NVMe SSD).

These are the conclusions I came to after testing this mod in past. My advice would be to find a means of increasing airflow without negating the primary intake vent on the base of the unit.

6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    it does make a 5C difference. On today's laptops that overheat a lot due to the highend CPUs, anything that will lower my temps is welcome. You keep adding these mods and it makes a huge difference. Select Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads + that bottom panel mod and a slight undervolt and you're gold. You can also get a good cooling pad.

From my previous MSI GT75 Titan:

[​IMG]

Papusan and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  7. captaincranium

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input @Pureownuge69 and @Ultra Male...yeah the bottom "vents" on the GT63 basically just go right up the middle and from what you would think they would want as much air intake flow to cool this little beast. Like the photo above I am surprised the vents didn't extend out to the left/right a little more near the front. I ordered it from @hidevolution at the time and they liquid metal pasted the GPU and CPU and applied the Fujipoly pads, i have a pretty good cooling pad for it, and they slapped a -50 bios undervolt on it. My temps are decent but seems to be getting higher lately? Idling around 48-51 and Firemark pushes the heat up to the mid 80's with all of those mods. I used to sit in the low 40's if that and mid to low 70's after running Firemark when i first tested it. So i am looking for any/all additional mods to do to get it even cooler.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Pureownuge69 likes this.
  8. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    I am surprised that with all those modifications, you are still only managing temperatures in the mid 80s. I am managing similar temperatures (and lower) with only the following modifications:

-Gelid GC Extreme on CPU and GPU die
    -All thermal pads replaced with appropriate thickness Tflex 340 (Laird) pads (high thickness deflection at low pressure 50%| 50 psi), same as from factory
    -100mv undervolt on CPU and - 82.5mv on GPU (Core)
    -Fischer Electric low profile heatsink applied to PCH via 3M 8815 thermal adhesive tape (max temp now 60 degrees C/ idle 35 - 40 degrees C)

Have you undervolted the the GPU? If not, this is where you should see a considerable reduction in temp.

captaincranium likes this.
  9. Captainfall

Captainfall Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I have the GT63 Titan and everything's been fine until end of August. I've been using the Drain profile in Steelseries Engine since I bought the laptop and decided to turn it off then, I noticed that the backlight of some keys don't actually turn off. (Picture attached).
    [​IMG]
    They are red and dim.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I set a plain red profile in steel series and the backlight of the same keys are kinda purple and pinkish in plain blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This doesn't affect other colors like green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Whenever I shutdown or boot, before the laptop turns off or loads windows, one of the affected keys backlight turns full red. This happens at random. Might be the space bar key backlight now and the caps lock key next time.

I've tried to uninstall Steelseries Engine and drivers, uninstalled keyboard drivers, updated BIOS and EC firmware, reset the EC. The issue persists.
    The keys are fine, just the backlight.

I don't know if this is a software/driver or hardware defect. This thread has really helped me a lot since I got this laptop.
    Please help.

Specs.
    MSI GT63 Titan 8RG
    Windows 10 Pro
    1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD
    32GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  10. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Hi Captainfall,

Interesting issue you have there. Seems like you have exhausted most of the basic troubleshooting steps that I could suggest short of swapping out hardware. That being said, I suspect a hardware problem or firmware corruption (this being more likely). Have you raised a support ticket and requested insights from MSI? They may have seen similar issues before.

I unfortunately have not seen this behavior in any Steelseries keyboards on MSI laptops. Dead LEDs are rather common, but this is certainly unique.