*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Apr 3, 2018.

1. soakr

soakr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys, experiencing some issues with my new GT63 RG (so GTX 1080) and do not know how to proceed. Hoping one of you might know how to test things further or what to do :).

I picked up the laptop on sale last week, had the normal issues with thermal throttling but after improving fan profile and applying an moderate undervolt via XTU everything was running pretty smooth with good temps - even without undervolt it was manageable.

Last night when I booted up and ran a couple of 3dmark firestrike benchmarks the CPU showed very high temperatures despite having high fan speeds and an elevated position on a laptop stand. I tested the CPU just as I had previously done with Cinebench R15 and XTU stress tests and experienced heavy power throttling even when just stressing the CPU by itself. The temperatures had reverted back to normal though, maxing out in the low 80s with boosted fans.

Never had issues with power throttling before so I disabled all my new settings and continuously tested it but the throttling is there all the time, usually takes about 20-30 seconds for it to kick in. Even tried to reinstall everything and revert to factory settings but to no avail.

xtustressthrottle.jpg hwinfothrottle.jpg

Anyone know what could be my issue or how I should proceed? It worries me that prior to this issue I experienced some temperature spikes on the CPU (96-98°C) and that this issue appeared out of nowhere. In the earlier days of gaming laptops temperatures could go even higher than this so would not think it could cause any permanent damage but it sure seems that something changed. I also notice that one of the SSD temp sensors is showing high values even when the laptop is idle (hovering around 70), I do not know if this is usual or not for this laptop or this particular SSD. Also measured the wattage used on combined tests and it maxes out at 275W (330W PSU).

drivetemps.jpg

I have attached some images to clarify. Looking forward to hearing what I should try next or if there are any more tests I can run. Last option is to simply return the laptop, it was the last item on sale for a very good price so no option to swap it out sadly.

Thanks for the help :)!

2. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Your laptop is behaving as per design.
    Nothing strange is happening.

The CPU will use its turbo mode for about 30 to 45 seconds, and then power limit kicks in to limit it to 45 watts (the original TDP).
    Normaly it will drop the frequency to 2.9/3.0ghz. if you have UV, you might get higher frequency when Power Limit is activated, like 3.3 to 3.4 but not more than this.

Cheers

3. Skunkserenade

Skunkserenade Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered my gt63 from gentech pc with kryonaut on gpu/cpu. I don't know why but my temps are really high while playing games, I will give metro exodus as example gpu goes to 87° after 15 minutes of gameplay and stays at 86 after that the whole time and the cpu spikes to 93° with - 150 mv undervolt. I keep the lapotp on a cooling pad also with max fans all the time while doing intensive tasks like gaming. I don't know why but the temps just seem too high and the problem is that the performance drecrese because the gpu can't mantain a stable frequency. I saw in your video reaching 2k on core, mine oscillates between 1400 and 1900. It's also power limit throttling, but doesn't seem to affect the frequency in your case

4. Skunkserenade

Skunkserenade Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to buy it if it's still available,didn't know how to pm you sorry

5. Skunkserenade

Skunkserenade Newbie

Reputations:

6. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am not sure if @Shark00n has another bottom cover. I bought him a bottom cover about 1 month ago.

7. Skunkserenade

Skunkserenade Newbie

Reputations:
    Ohh ok, I will try and get one from HID Evolution then

8. Skunkserenade

Skunkserenade Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you take a look on my reply post to specv89 above, please?

9. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry dude, already sold mine. Try with hidevolution.

10. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There is so much more to achieving good thermals on these laptops than just re-pasting (TIM) and undervolting.

For anyone experiencing high temperatures (specifically on the CPU), I would recommend checking core temperature differentials. If the Delta between the hottest and coolest cores is greater than 7 degrees Celsius, you may need to get your hands on some quality highly compressible thermal pads (25 Shore 00 or less) and potentially some pressure paper (which can be quite expensive).

Use the pressure indication paper to determine whether the heat sink is making sufficient contact with CPU die (with uniform pressure across the surface). If it is not, you will likely need to replace thermal pads with thinner, thicker, or softer alternatives on specific components. The thermal conductivity of your TIM is meaningless if there is insufficient contact being made between the CPU/GPU and heat-sink.

With all of this in mind, I have been able to get my CPU (I7-8750H @ -100mv) and GPU (Core @ -75mv /1911Mhz + Mem +200Mhz) to only reach maximums of 72 Degrees (C) and 78 Degrees (C) respectively in a combination stress test of Prime95 (Floating Point Unit Torture Test) + Unigine Heaven (Ultra + Max MSAA @ 1440p) - 15 minute runs / ambient 27 degrees (C). And no, my fans are not on Cooler Boost Mode.

Semmy likes this.