*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thank you for the explanation.
    You guys are OC pros. :)

ryzeki and Pureownuge69 like this.
  2. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks again for this :) I hate to ask, but seeing as I do not spend a great deal of time in my BIOS, could someone please list the steps to change the core voltage offset when in the Overclocking Menu. Am fearful of changing something incorrectly. Will +rep for the assistance.

Kevin@GenTechPC and Alex Etrel like this.
  3. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quick and probably, dumb, question but just want to make sure. My unit shipped with a BIOS undervolt of -50mvh from HIDEvolution....if lets say I want to push that a little more with Throttlestop, i know i have to take that core BIOS undervolt into consideration. So i want to try a -100mvh undervolt so I would only undervolt an additional -50mvh in Throttlestop/XTU because the BIOS is already providing a -50mvh.

Basically BIOS Undervolt of -50 and then the Throttlestop/XTU Undervolt -50 = -100mvh total undervolt correct? This is my first laptop with a BIOS undervolt so want to make sure....

Getting great temps already with -50 Undervolt and LM repaste from them (see previous posts) but wouldn't mind pushing it a little further if I can. Figured if i can get it stable with -50mvh undervolts with BIOS and Throttlestop/XTU, and it doesn't crash or blue screen out or anything, i will them use the Bios unlock code and go in and change it to a -100mvh undervolt in the BIOS after testing.

Thanks!

4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am not entirely sure. It might be possible that if you put -60mv, as an example, it will simply override HID's -50, for a total of -60. In the end, both Throttlestop and the BIOS setting are most likely targeting the same registers when putting the undervolt, so I don't think they add, but instead get rewritten?

custom90gt likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You can check in Hwinfo if added undervolt being recognized. Compare with what ThrottleStop say in FIVR windows (offset).
    upload_2019-2-14_2-1-43.png

captaincranium and ryzeki like this.
  6. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    As per my last post, can anyone please provide an explanation as to how one can undervolt in an unlocked MSI BIOS. Steps would be much appreciated, in addition to noting what parameters must be configured. Thanks :)

Edit:
    Never-mind, under-volting in the BIOS was relatively simple. Just had to refresh on BIOS specific terminology and acronyms to be sure I was adjusting the appropriate parameters. :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  7. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where exactly did you go in the Bios to just undervolt @Pureownuge69 or @Papusan ? I am going to use the “code” to unlock mine

8. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    We have found that -50mV is about all the GT63 will take. Please proceed with caution because it is working fine now, and we doubt you can get -100mV and stay stable.

9. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    An interesting conclusion. My CPU is currently undervolted by - 110mv in the BIOS and is certainly stable. Anything lower than - 120mv and I begin to notice instability in specific applications and games, even though it still passes all stress tests without a hitch. I may just be lucky though :D . If you don't mind me asking, what applications or processes are used by HID to evaluate and determine whether an undervolt is stable?

@captaincranium Apologies for not getting back to you on how to undervolt in the BIOS. I will post some steps for you tomorrow night when I return home. :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

captaincranium likes this.
  10. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine is also stable at -125mV everyday. Had it at -150mV but turned it down a notch just for ease of mind.

But I might follow Donald's advice and lower the undervolt even more, closer to the -75 or -50mV. I have the modded bottom cover and good paste so temps are well under check and I always worry on how undervolts fare in the long run. They theoretically put more of a strain in some electrical parts, requiring them to filter voltage to lower amounts. It can't all be roses I'm sure.