*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Cool. So, you got max 83 Degrees on Gpu and 87 Degrees on Cpu at 3.9 in battle1. How much was rpm fan ?

Pureownuge69 likes this.
  2. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep :) Usually I get 80-82 Degrees on the CPU and 78-81 on the GPU when playing BF1. However, my temperatures are somewhat higher due to the ambient room temperature being between 27 and 31 degrees degrees Celsius. It is quite hot here in Australia at the moment .... Both fans were hovering between 2900-3200 RPM on both the CPU and GPU. I have a custom fan curve configured in MSI Dragon Center.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Semmy likes this.
  3. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Hi :) I have not unlocked the TDP limitations. I will check how long I am able to sustain the higher TDP for you when I am on next.

JNogueira likes this.
  4. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    So I have done some further testing. The 45w TDP limitation was imposed after approximately 60 seconds when running the Prime95 "Blended" torture test as per readings in Throttlestop. P1 and P2 limits appear to be working as intended.

ryzeki and JNogueira like this.
  5. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to under-volt the CPU in the BIOS by means of the combination key unlock? Do you require an unlocked BIOS (i.e. one from Svet) to modify the voltage offset.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It is possible if someone unlocks it, typically the manufacturers themselves with support from Intel. Otherwise, the BIOS is very much locked down.

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The negative offset is in "Overclocking performance menu".

Might as well set Core IA AC and Core IA DC loadline to 1 in CPU VR settings also, then decide afterwards if you need to undervolt as you may have stability problems if you combine both together.
    (note: default value for IA AC and IA DC loadline for Core IA Domain is 180, which is auto, or zero. (theoretically it's supposed to be 210 but who knows what MSI is thinking). Lower values cause load voltage to be amplified less. Under NO circumstances will you EVER exceed 180. 1 and 1 for both values gives lowest load voltage amplification at load (very important when using manual voltage overrides).

Pureownuge69 likes this.
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Falkentyne, does that provide the same effect as Intel XTU? Is it stable to do so? What if the system doesn't come back on because of unstable settings? Thanks.

Pureownuge69 likes this.
  9. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Thanks for the explanation :) I have found the negative offset value but am concerned with changing it. To reiterate, my BIOS is the latest revision of the stock MSI BIOS. I am able to gain access to the advanced configuration options by using a key combination. Is using this key combination equivalent to flashing an unlocked BIOS though? Is there potential to brick my machine by changing the voltage offset in a stock BIOS (unlocked only via a key combination)?

My apologies for not properly explaining my question in appropriate detail in my last post.

10. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It is better, because it removes the overvoltage applied by MSI, and runs at "design" voltage, so to say. If you perform the IA DC loadline setting change, you can't really undervolt a lot more as you have removed a sizable amount of voltage from the CPU. It's the same reason why out of the box you can undervolt like -130mv, its a lot of padded voltage added by manufacturers. You essentially remove that.

For best results is doing the bios change and not use intel XTU etc.

Yes, if you flash an unlocked BIOS, you essentially gain access to the options hidden with the key combination. Perhaps the custom BIOS could be "cleaner" if needed, only highlighting particular options. But if you have the key combo, you are set.

As Falkentyne suggested, it is better to put the loadline settings to 1 (or 5 perhaps for extra stability?) and don't undervolt at all. If you are going to do this, first remove any undervolt you currently have, and stop using intel XTU or throttlestop (specially if you have it to auto launch at startup) to avoid crashes.