*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There must be something wrong then. The port closest to me doesn't work as a headphone jack. I even bought an adapter from 3.5mm 4 pin to 2x3.5mm 3 pin to separate the audio and mic channels but it still doesn't work. Just shows up as this on Realtek Audio Console:

[​IMG]

Other ports usually show "Microphone" or "Line in" when something's connected but when I connect my headphone to this jack nothing appears and the sound just keeps coming out of the built in speakers.

This is weird behaviour as it was working fine before. I think this started when I last formated Windows. I tried reinstalling the audio drivers, reinstalling nahimic and realtek audio console to no avail...

*EDIT - Uninstalling the Realtek Audio Console fixed it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Falkentyne likes this.
  2. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Glad you managed to get it working. I can also recall odd behavior with the Realtek Audio Console on my laptop (hence I suggested checking it out). I Uninstalled and reinstalled the latest audio drivers from the MSI website and managed to get everything working correctly.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

3. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    For anyone experiencing issues with CPU core temperature differentials, I have found a solution that reduces the temperature differential between cores to a maximum of 2 - 3 Degrees (Celsius) under heavy sustained load (Prime95). It has taken quite a bit of time, testing and evaluation to determine the solutions effectiveness and longevity. It requires no physical modifications, i.e. heat sink lapping (which would actually cause more harm than good) etc.

The CPU core temperature differentials are resultant from insufficient tension and an uneven distribution of downward force on the CPU portion of the heat sink. The cause being incorrect TIM/Pads (thickness and hardness) being used on the adjacent VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) components from factory. To correct the issue, I recommend replacing the stock thermal pads with the alternatives listed below:

K5 Pro | >5.3 w/mk Thermal Conductivity | Viscous "Gummy" | Non-Electrically Conductive | Maintains structure during operation at temperatures < 250 Degrees (Celsius) | Long (marketed as near infinite...) service life
    Arctic Thermal Pad 0.5mm | 6 w/mk Thermal Conductivity | Non-Electrically Conductive or capacitive | 25 Shore 00 Hardness (Soft and Highly Compressible)

As per the attached image (would not let me insert the image), apply a moderate amount of K5 Pro to each of the choke coil inductors adjacent the CPU and a 0.5mm Arctic Thermal Pad on the MOSFETs.

Keep in mind that the K5 Pro will be compressed to < 0.5mm on the choke nearest the top of the image, so there is no need to apply a ridiculous amount.

Hardness of the TIM used is critical to ensuring contact is made with each component. Unfortunately, the rubber block that presses against the bottom lid only complicates matters as it is merely applying force on the top right portion of the heat sink. The result being a gap that varies (when using K5 Pro on the Chokes) from 0.4mm (beneath the rubber block) to 0.6mm further down.

Will post up some benchmarks and temperatures when I get home from work :) Ran out of time last night at 2AM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Semmy likes this.
  4. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's cool. :) Liquid thermal pads is a very good solution. I said even earlier that the stock thermal pads cause uneven contact of the processor. It would be nice to see visual instructions and more photos :)

5. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Further to my previous post, just added some more images :)

@Semmy, regarding application, I would recommend using a TIM application tool/spreader due to the gummy consistency of K5 Pro. Prior to applying the K5 Pro to the chokes, be sure to clean the surface using either Isopropyl Alcohol or something like Articlean (Stage 2). Obviously allow the alcohol or Articlean solution to dry prior to application. To be sure, I always gently wipe the surface using a lint free microfiber cloth.

For visual instruction, did you mean the entire process of replacing TIM from start to finish i.e. inclusive of disassembly ?

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Semmy likes this.
  6. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How about tests and temperature monitoring ;)

Pureownuge69 likes this.
  7. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Will post the results for you shortly :) have just been away for work and arrive home in in two days. Once I am home I will run a few tests and post the results/screenshots.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Semmy likes this.
  8. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Well, I think we are out of luck in terms of upgrading from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2080 easily in the GT63 8RG :(

Below is an image of the GT63 8SX revised heat sink.

upload_2019-2-7_9-38-54.png

Either they have changed the GPU orientation, or the new MXM module is considerably different in terms of dimensions and component layout. I am willing to wager that it is the latter. :(

Would be interesting to see the difference in heat dissipation capability on this revised heat sink in contrast to that of the 8RG. One less heat pipe when compared with the 8RG, but the heat is now being distributed more uniformly across the GPU portion of the heat sink.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    @Semmy,

As promised, I have some test results for you. :)

Ambient room temperature was approximately 27 Degrees Celsius when the tests where conducted. Both my CPU and GPU have been undervolted.
    • CPU @ -120mv
    • GPU @ 0.943v - Core Clock 1860 Mhz | Memory Clock 5150 Mhz
    As for the tests, I conducted the CPU stress tests using a combination of the Blended and Large FFT torture tests in Prime 95. For a combined test (i.e. GPU+CPU) I loaded up Battlefield 1 (multiplayer) and played for 30 minutes with the following configuration:
    • Graphics Settings: Ultra
    • Resolution: 2,560 x 1,440 (1440p)
    • Refresh Rate Cap: 144hz (FPS)
    BF1_ULTRA_1440P-144hz_30mins_GPU
    BF1_ULTRA_1440P-144hz_30mins_GPU.PNG
    BF1_ULTRA_1440P-144hz_30mins_CPU
    BF1_ULTRA_1440P-144hz_30mins_CPU.PNG
    In_Place_Large_FFT_Prime95_Run2
    In_Place_Large_FFT_Prime95_Run2.PNG
    Blended_Prime95
    Blended_Prime95.PNG
    In_Place_Large_FFT_Prime95
    In_Place_Large_FFT_Prime95.PNG

Semmy and JNogueira like this.
  10. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you have the TDP unlock activated?
    For how long are you able to have sustained 3.9Ghz on the 6 cores when CPU stress test is running?

Pureownuge69 likes this.