*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They are indeed different. Despite the fans appearing to be near identical aesthetically, there are differences in their operation and performance characteristics. The fans in the GT62VR are of an earlier (unreliable) revision. They could achieve rotational speeds in excess of 4500 RPM, whereas those in the GT63 Titan max out at approximately 3850RPM. I have reviewed a few modding forums and participants mentioned swapping their GT63 fans out with those found in the GT62VR. The result was a considerably noisier, yet relatively cooler running laptop (-8 Degrees C). The only issue with this being that the fans would only last 12 months before burning out. The difference is likely in the micro-controller programming on the fan PCB.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Temperature difference is resultant from a combination of the PCIe SSD and Intel PCH as someone mentioned above. The PCIe SSD has a realtively thick thermal pad extracting heat into the motherboard and by extension top case. My measurements at the same point under sustained load with an infrared thermometer (i.e. in Battlefield 1) are near 38 degrees C. Definitely warm to the touch.

Further to the above, I have been experimenting with GELID GP Extreme Thermal Pads and GC Extreme TIM. Have achieved some awesome results nearing those of liquid metal (relative to the quality of the application job). Will post my conclusions soon :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    kl122002 and Semmy like this.
  3. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had several different fans on GT62, from old and new parties, and not one of them could not overcome 4000 rpm, most often 3890 - 3900.

Pureownuge69 likes this.
  4. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    Interesting. Thanks for posting. I myself have not tried. I attributed the reported higher rotational speed to the failure rate. The internet is plagued with reports of fans on the GT62VR failing. But that could have been firmware (EC) related.

5. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, there really were a lot of problems with dying fans. Dying fan chip.

6. kl122002

kl122002 Newbie

Reputations:
    The original one is a 256GB Samsung MZVLB256HAHQ. In that case should I replace this SSD to lower the temperature?
    I have an extra 512GB Samsung 970PRO dusting on shelf.

7. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Too bad, MSI could finally push for some reliable FAN-s for their top 15 inch machine.

It is frustrating that stupid fans ruining this laptop overall feel. Maybe they will change something with RTX generation refresh.

MSI replaced fans in my laptop for new ones - but well. They're still making this rumbling noise, no matter how slow they spin - though it is quieter than it was before. But still kinda sucks.

8. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have two audio related questions today.

-I get pretty low volume when using headphones. They are a regular 35Ohm pair so nothing special. However I need to be at around 90volume to hear nicely. And even that is not that loud. Any way of boosting this?

-Which of the 3.5mm audio ports do you guys use to plug in headphones? My headset has a built in mic but has a single plug (it has 4 sections, like this) any chance of getting the mic working in the GT63? I can't find the option.

Think the volume has to do with the fact its a 4 section jack connector? I'll try a different pair of headphones when I can

9. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    I doubt you will see much improvement in terms of thermals. I believe that the Samsung 970 PRO would perform better and possibly manage thermals marginally better than the OEM Samsung PCIe SSD. Tried finding a comprehensive specification sheet for the OEM model, but had no luck.

I believe you should not be concerned, it is expected that this area will be warm. Simply means the thermal pad is effectively extracting heat into the main board. Just review the SSD temps in HWMonitor. Should be between 50 - 65 Degrees Celsius at Idle (relative to ambient temperature and load).

10. Pureownuge69

Reputations:
    The headphone jack is the first AUX port closest to you (front of the laptop). To diagnose what is happening, open the Realtek Audio Console (comes preinstalled) and review the input information on the bottom left of the application window. When the console app first opens (assuming headphones have been detected) you will be presented with configuration options i.e. power output, impedance configuration. This is the best place to start.