*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In games, you detected any throtting? Or is always at 3,9Ghz?

2. ldcosta

ldcosta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't have any thermal throttle now, only Power limit throttle in stress tests.

No throttle of any kind in games after UV until now (Forza Horizon 4, GTA V, The secret world legends...)

3. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi All,

My gaming sessions can keep the CPU at 3.9 all the time as well. Never saw a different behavior yet (not even on the new AC Odyssey).
    Never had thermal issues with this laptop on all the CPU cores or GPU (except when applied TDP Hack). Only the Power limit as stated by ldcosta.

Even without any UV (all stock), the gaming sessions are smooth, no hangs or breaks, even when Power limit starts.

Pedro69 likes this.
  4. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting the results :) . I have to admit that I am jealous Those core temperature differentials are excellent. I have an 8 degree (Celsius) difference between the hottest and coolest running cores when he CPU is under a heavy synthetic load.

I will be re-pasting with Arctic MX-4 (again) and replacing all thermal pads with GELID GP-Extreme (12w/m.k) alternatives soon.

Hopefully I can manage to mitigate the slight elevation on one side by using 0.5mm pads on the VRM inductors (chokes) and MOSFETs adjacent to the CPU (as opposed to the stock 1mm pads). Have attached some images of my previous disassembly prior to applying fresh TIM (only to re paste with MX-4).

IMAG1511.jpg IMAG1510.jpg IMAG1517.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    captaincranium likes this.
  5. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A lot of thermal paste. Need a lot less. Better to use GELID GC-Extreme or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut , not Arctic MX-4. And try to remove the thermal pads adjacent to the CPU for the test.

6. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The paste shown in the photos is the factory applied TIM and was prior to RE application of MX4. If you see the image of the heatsink, it is a Laird TIM stamp from factory.

I have used MX-4 for years. It has never let me down and consistently given me great results. After the repaste, my maximum CPU temperatures dropped by approximately 8 degrees. Any specific reasoning as to why I should use these alternatives?

Arctic MX-4 is a reliable paste with a proven track record. I am aware that Thermal Grizzley Kryonaut offers a marginal improvement in terms of performance, but my primary concern is it drying out (>80 degrees C). Have not used GELID GC extreme, but have heard good things (hence my investment in GELID thermal pads for the CPU and GPU).

Also, don't believe it would be wise to remove the pads altogether, the VRM components generate considerable heat. Can result in instability and various other problems if inadequately cooled.

Thanks for the input :)

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Falkentyne likes this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think you should research what MSI uses for their thermal "paste".
    Here is an unapplied original GT75VR heatsink.

lairdtech.jpg

Pureownuge69 likes this.
  8. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From my experience, Kryonaut is just as durable.
    Just the other day I opened a friends Clevo and it had Kryonaut applied from the assembler. Going on 3 years with very high temps and very high usage and the paste looked like new.
    Right now I'm trying out Phobya Nanogrease and it also seems pretty great.

Pureownuge69 likes this.
  9. Agatio

Agatio Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally I can post. I bought this laptop, but I’m not happy with the temps and throttling I get. Last time I reset it, it applied some windows updates and as soon as it got to windows I launches Hwmonitor and the CPU max temp was 91 degrees. Even with -160mv on CPU and a huge undervolt on GPU the CPU goes to max ~96 in PUBG.

I already bought Kryonaut paste and some thermal pads, but It feels a bit scary to open the laptop and repaste it.

I have an ESD bracelet thingie and ESD mat. Where do I connect the clips from those when I’ll open the laptop? I know I have to unplug the battery the first thing I open it before I touch anything.

And does anyone have any other important things to keep in mind, and was it easy to unscrew and remove the heatsink/heatpipe system? Thanks

Oh and should I try some other undervolting tricks, TDP limitations or bios settings to keep a decent performance while keeping the temps down and fans quiet?

10. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MX-4 Dries (Dry out) very quickly. I applied it on the VRM and it dried (Dry out) within a month. GELID GC extreme works much longer.