*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Apr 3, 2018.

1. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Well, not really :(
    I am currently with UV of -0.145 because the tdp hack made my CPU temps climb as hell with temperature throttle kicking in quite heavily under stress test.

Even with UV I have the tdp throttle, but not as aggressive as with stock voltage.

So I have the same problem as Shark00n.
    This is not really a problem. This is all about the PL limits.

So, if the CPU has the TDP reading above 45 watts for a sustained period larger than 45 seconds (I think this is the period), the TDP throttle will start in order to force the CPU to stay at 45W. The UV helps to bring the CPU to higher speeds when tdp throttle is on as it lowers the TDP usage as well, but does not solve the problem at all.

The TDP hack just tricks the MB readings dividing them by 2. By this way the system never sees the correct reading and "thinks" that the threshold is respected all the time.
    The dangerous part is about the temps, but worked well indeed.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Shark00n likes this.
  2. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just find it weird that a GE63 holds it for longer. Even though the fan noise required for it is much higher.

Anyone know of a BIOS update for the GT63? MSI Support site has the same drivers for months now

3. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Shark00n. Do you know how long does the GE63 holds the PL above 45 seconds?

Nothing by my knowledge that GT63 has a new bios since past May

4. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So with that tdp hack, the problem is solved? If you read the review in this website(notebookreview), i think that is mentioned about throttling...with my GT75, i never got throttling even with long sessions of gaming...3,9Ghz always.

You checked limit reasons on TS?

@JNogueira

This is the same issue like GT72VR that we have in the past about BD-Prochot?

I can check the values for for the tdp in GE63, just link me the bios that your friend is using.

5. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Pedro,

No, this is working as per design. Nothing wrong.

The long gaming sessions with 3.9Ghz I also have them successfully but if you check XTU monitoring during gaming sessions you will see that the CPU load is not enough to go beyond 45Watts on the TDP, meaning that there is no power throttle. I observe the same on my gaming sessions where CPU does not go above 50% of usage.

Now try to run a CPU burn test (100% usage on the 6 cores) for 10 minutes with XTU opened to monitor and you will see the power throttle kicking in after 45/50 seconds. This is what happens when intel adds 2 more cores to the previous architecture. Power consumption will increase and of course the tdp limit will kick in earlier and heavier.

This is the CPU specification working as per design. It is not the most pleasant thing for sure, but this is the specification working.

6. Pedro69

Reputations:
    But that is the same issue like GT72VR, if we have a pc gaming like GT63, you need the 8750H always with 3,9Ghz...a GT63 is much better than GE63 omfg...GT series...

7. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The MSI GT72VR had BD prochot enabled due to insufficient energy (and not temperature as it should be) and when disabled, CPU would throttle but without any throttle flag as well as the GPU.

Here, this is the CPU specification working. Contrarily to the MSI GT72VR, here there is no such problem.
    You can find all these details on the intel page of 8750H as all over the internet. There are brands that are limiting it to 35W and even to 25W due to bad cooling solution. This is done by firmware.

On the other hand Acer made an option available to allow 45W+ TDP without time limitation (based on the same principle of your assumption), but this is a specification override made by the manufacturer. This is not the way it works as per design.

Hope that MSI does the same, but on the GT63 there is nothing wrong with this behavior.

But here is some info:
    https://ark.intel.com/products/134906/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-10-GHz-
    It is the way it has to work. The CPU must work on 45W TDP on a sustained way. It allows override for a certain amount of time (Turbo Boost), and then gets down to 45W again, showing power limit throttling.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Shark00n likes this.
  8. Pedro69

Reputations:
    You can do the same as acer in Bios or TS.

9. ldcosta

ldcosta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    JNogueira that is wierd did you ajust the timer on intel XTU to 128sec? I never get power throttle and when I get on stress test after around 3min it goes from 3,9 to ~3,7Ghz, but stock without the -190mV undervolt it goes down to 3,1Ghz on stress test.

10. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi @ldcosta

I am not able to do such aggressive UV on my machine unfortunately. tbh I've been lazy about doing UV with different value under load and on idle. I know that on full load I am able to have even higher UV numbers, but still didn't do that.
    I know that when UV is as good as near -0,200v you will stop to see Power Throttle. But on stock, I am having exactly the same behavior as yours. 3.1Ghz when Power throttle kicks in wothout UV.
    Currently with -0.145v I am able to stay at 3.4Ghz / 3.5Ghz when the TDP is forced to 45W.

I really have to stop using XTU and stick with TS.
    I have set as 47 seconds on XTU. Let me try with 90 seconds (max allowed on my situation).