*** The Official MSI GT63 TITAN Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI uses 1.0mm thermal pads, make sure when you screw the plate back, you apply force to each screw evenly and lightly in circular motion without tightening it all the way and tighten each screw gradually until all of them are secured.

Falkentyne, Pureownuge69 and Pedro69 like this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I highly recommend 0.5mm pads (CPU heatsink only) to deal with the annoying coretemp issues on cores 0, 2 and 4 (0 and 2 on 4 core systems).
    This convex primary heatsink block has been used ever since GT72s and MSI is too lazy to change it (at least the LGA WT75 / F7 or whatever 6 core consumer version will be called has a new heat block).

gt73vr-heatsink-1 (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  3. ldcosta

ldcosta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Intel XTU isn't saving the undervolt after reboot, can you please tell me if there's a way on doing that on BIOS? (too many options didn't find the undervolt CPU cache/voltage option) I need to apply changes every time I restart my machine.

I tested the Dragon Center with the OC +120MhzGPU +200Mhz Mem and got better values with this one, the Curve on MSI afterburner for somehow didn't go over 1898Mhz, with Dragon Center 1911Mhz sometimes 1923,5Mhz

4. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Unlock bios menus first.
    Then go to Overclocking Performance Menu.
    You can set the negative/positive offsets there.
    i assume you are using adaptive voltage here. For Static you just key in the voltage and select override voltage.

To be honest, if you unlock the bios, you are better off NOT undervolting and just going to CPU VR Settings->Core I/A Domain and set the IA AC and IA DC loadlines to 1.
    This basically does the SAME thing as undervolting without risking idle BSOD crashes. This also makes override voltage actually work without overvolting it by over 100mv compared to what CPU VID shows and what you entered as an override voltage.

This is not guaranteed stable in all MSIbooks though. Works fine on the higher end Titan laptops. Not sure about GS65 or GT63.

5. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Don't even bother with Intel XTU. I, and many others use Throttlestop to undervolt. Just set Throttlestop to launch at login via Task Scheduler and you are done (with undervolting on reboot). Plenty of guides out there to explain how to undervolt in Throttlestop. A quick Google Search should help you find what you are looking for. It can be downloaded via the link below:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

6. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How do you unlock the advanced BIOS menu on an MSI GT? Haven't tried on my GT63. Do you mean flash a modded BIOS (I.e. Svet)

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    That or the combo keys. Check the other threads.

8. ldcosta

ldcosta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm using the combo keys alt+F2 (left side) and ctrl+shift (right side)

@Falkentyne tks for the tips, I'll check it later

(the next step is trying to get better results on GTX1080 and trying to disable/enable in windows but I think its not possible without changing lots of stuff)

@Pureownuge69 On my old laptop with i7 4710HQ Intel XTU worked fine after restarts but not on this one... :(

Pureownuge69 likes this.
  9. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wish the GS series also has a tougher heatsink design like this, squishy heatsink is the biggest problem on the GS series :(
    Hopefully there is a slight chance that MSI release the improved version of the GS heatsink and still usable in the GS65, I'd grab one straight away.

10. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The fact is that. At this point, the highlighted red thermal pad is the reason that - the heat sink does not reach the processor. No matter how thin the thermal pads are, they still give me uneven temperatures across the cores of 10+ degrees. And only when I remove the thermal pads from these places the difference in the cores reaches the norm of 3-5 degrees, but this is still not ideal, because the heat sink is uneven.
    So if you want to reduce the uneven contact of the heat sink, you will have to remove the thermal pads from these places.

[​IMG]

Falkentyne likes this.